Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,511 of 11,448
Went to a meet yesterday. Alot of nice gear. Took the Euforia ( stock tubes) and the Hegel dac. Got to try out the yggy and rag. Huge footprint, loads of power, sterile sounding., expensive. No thanks, I will keep my lowly system. I loved the 800s with the Euforia. Lots of slam, great soundstage.

A few things I like to comment on here. When I was at the Sydney meet in April 2017, I listen to Yggdrasil and Ragnarok with HD800 for the first time, with music unfamiliar to me. This immediately after listening to a 'borrowed' pair of HD800 and listening to it on Euforia. Jumping from Euforia to the Yggy and Rag combination, I too came to the same conclusion as you. That it is clinical and analytical. I wouldn't call it sterile because that combo is impressive in it's resolution and fast transient response.

Fast forward a few months later, I went to Addicted To Audio to audition Yggy / Rggy / HD800 again. This time I put aside any preconceived ideas and bias. I was pleasantly surprise how good 'Sultans of Swing' sounded that day. There is a liquidity and even wetness to the tone. HD800 from that combo sounded very clear and detailed and yet very natural. I imagine that the setup will be very ruthlessly revealing of bad recordings.

I have long been a tube amp lover, in particular Elise and Euforia. However I am beginning to see the Yggy Rggy and HD800 in a new light now. I can't believe that my once 'sterile' impressions of ss amp have changed to one of admiration and love. It's a different tone for sure but not one to discard as 'sterile'. If anything, it has great clarity and details, fast transient response and great slam too with your rock and roll. Haven't even tried classical with it.

Lastly, I cannot agree more with you on the last statement. HD800 sounds great with Euforia, fed by Yggy.... for me and my ears. It's my end game sound. Lots of slam and headstage is just one aspect of it. It's very refined when called for too. I still see HD800 as a TOTL headphone, even today.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,513 of 11,448
Hi all.

Firstly, it saddens me that whenever I (unavoidably) turn my back for a while, things seem to go haywire.

I had thought we'd reached an understanding where ALL opinions - within reason! - would be treated with respect and equanimity, and therefore removing any need to 'defend' any member's difference of opinions/personal preferences. I fully understand the strength of emotion our hobby can generate, but this does indeed require a certain balance in attitude regarding our own individual circumstances, as opposed to others'. This quality is what has, in the main, made all the Feliks-Audio threads some of the most popular and welcoming within Head-fi, from the very first one I started for Elise some years ago. It is my fervent hope that this spirit will in fact continue long into the future - not only for our own sakes, but also for that of Feliks-Audio themselves lol!

And now for something a bit more cheerful...PICTURES OF THE F-A TEAM FROM CANJAM LONDON...

P1000906.JPG

That's Lukasz far right, with his lovely wife and brothers Michal and Piotrek. Dad Henryk wasn't able to make it to the show alas, but at least we were able to see each other on Lukasz's 'phone!

I was not expecting them all to be so young...an obvious sign of my own ageing years lol!... But their skills, knowledge and total dedication to their craft belies their years, and has taken my amazement at their achievements to even greater heights than previously, not to mention my undying respect. I feel privileged that they welcomed me with such genuine warmth - they are all a wonderful bunch of guys (not forgetting the gal!). They even wanted me in a picture with them...which I feel duty bound to inflict on you all, like it or not! :wink: :darthsmile:....:

P1000911.JPG

The balding one is me, of course, along with highly regarded from LittleDot days, Acapella11...who inspired me to keep pushing the boundaries in tube amp land....for better or worse!!!

Anyway, enough of that...I'm glad to say Lukasz was very pleased with the entire venture - their first foray into such a show outside their native Poland. Although Sunday - the day I was there - was an unfortunate one, given the Wimbledon Men's Finals and the Silverstone F1 Grand Prix!, there was still a good bit of interest at their stand, which was very encouraging. And apparently, the Saturday was even better.

So hopefully, this will give them deserved further coverage of their enterprise, and provide well-deserved joy and satisfaction for their hard efforts...especially to Pop Henryk, of course!

Meeting them in person was the highlight of my year so far, and my only regret is that due to my train delay, I had very little time to spend with them (and to see much else at the show). But their friendliness and warm welcome more than made up for that, and for which I'm eternally grateful. And in addition, my disappointment was also assuaged by the gift of one of their really nice headphone stands...which are even nicer "in the flesh" than in the pictures. The quality of wood used, and the workmanship, are absolutely beautiful...and I've just got to also show a couple of pictures of it here... :

P1000916.JPGP1000917.JPG

Ah well, better give you all a rest for now...but there are a couple of very positive impressions of Elise and Euforia (the latter referred to as '4') over at the follow-on thread for CanJam London :https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...d-july-15-16-2017.855275/page-6#post-13607368

Cheers for now guys, and....HAPPY LISTENING!!...

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,514 of 11,448
Well said H1. I was not trying to start anything. I just stated my opinion after listening to all the amps and dacs.
That cannot be said about UT, as I'm sure he has not listened to the Space Tech or Hegel. I was not upset at the beginning , but then after Re reading his posts I am a little peeved now.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,515 of 11,448
WOW H1 Your post with pictures is the best and most fun FA post I have ever read. I'm so glad you got to meet everyone, even if your visit was shortened. Of course, I'm a little jealous I wasn't able to be there. Maybe next year!!!!

PS. You certainly are the handsome devil :smile_phones:

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #3,516 of 11,448
Well said H1. I was not trying to start anything. I just stated my opinion after listening to all the amps and dacs.
That cannot be said about UT, as I'm sure he has not listened to the Space Tech or Hegel. I was not upset at the beginning , but then after Re reading his posts I am a little peeved now.
Ah well, aqsw, such can be the way of things sometimes in this passionate hobby of ours...a "little peeved", like spilled milk, can go a long way...I hope you can manage to get the mop to it nice and quickly lol! :wink:...(as I myself have had to do on many occasions these past years, mon ami!! :ksc75smile:). Keep the faith...and ENJOY!!...[/QUOTE]

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,517 of 11,448
WOW H1 Your post with pictures is the best and most fun FA post I have ever read. I'm so glad you got to meet everyone, even if your visit was shortened. Of course, I'm a little jealous I wasn't able to be there. Maybe next year!!!!

PS. You certainly are the handsome devil :smile_phones:

Thanks mucho, pct....but when did you last have your eyes tested, ol' boy?!...Whatever, I shall take the compliment anyway, even if you are looking at the wrong guy!...(puts a nice smile on my face however, as I head for early zzzzzzzz. Trips to the "smoke" take longer to get over these days lol!).

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #3,518 of 11,448
Hi all.

Firstly, it saddens me that whenever I (unavoidably) turn my back for a while, things seem to go haywire.

I had thought we'd reached an understanding where ALL opinions - within reason! - would be treated with respect and equanimity, and therefore removing any need to 'defend' any member's difference of opinions/personal preferences. I fully understand the strength of emotion our hobby can generate, but this does indeed require a certain balance in attitude regarding our own individual circumstances, as opposed to others'. This quality is what has, in the main, made all the Feliks-Audio threads some of the most popular and welcoming within Head-fi, from the very first one I started for Elise some years ago. It is my fervent hope that this spirit will in fact continue long into the future - not only for our own sakes, but also for that of Feliks-Audio themselves lol!

And now for something a bit more cheerful...PICTURES OF THE F-A TEAM FROM CANJAM LONDON...

That's Lukasz far right, with his lovely wife and brothers Michal and Piotrek. Dad Henryk wasn't able to make it to the show alas, but at least we were able to see each other on Lukasz's 'phone!

I was not expecting them all to be so young...an obvious sign of my own ageing years lol!... But their skills, knowledge and total dedication to their craft belies their years, and has taken my amazement at their achievements to even greater heights than previously, not to mention my undying respect. I feel privileged that they welcomed me with such genuine warmth - they are all a wonderful bunch of guys (not forgetting the gal!). They even wanted me in a picture with them...which I feel duty bound to inflict on you all, like it or not! :wink: :darthsmile:....:

The balding one is me, of course, along with highly regarded from LittleDot days, Acapella11...who inspired me to keep pushing the boundaries in tube amp land....for better or worse!!!

Anyway, enough of that...I'm glad to say Lukasz was very pleased with the entire venture - their first foray into such a show outside their native Poland. Although Sunday - the day I was there - was an unfortunate one, given the Wimbledon Men's Finals and the Silverstone F1 Grand Prix!, there was still a good bit of interest at their stand, which was very encouraging. And apparently, the Saturday was even better.

So hopefully, this will give them deserved further coverage of their enterprise, and provide well-deserved joy and satisfaction for their hard efforts...especially to Pop Henryk, of course!

Meeting them in person was the highlight of my year so far, and my only regret is that due to my train delay, I had very little time to spend with them (and to see much else at the show). But their friendliness and warm welcome more than made up for that, and for which I'm eternally grateful. And in addition, my disappointment was also assuaged by the gift of one of their really nice headphone stands...which are even nicer "in the flesh" than in the pictures. The quality of wood used, and the workmanship, are absolutely beautiful...and I've just got to also show a couple of pictures of it here... :

Ah well, better give you all a rest for now...but there are a couple of very positive impressions of Elise and Euforia (the latter referred to as '4') over at the follow-on thread for CanJam London :https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...d-july-15-16-2017.855275/page-6#post-13607368

Cheers for now guys, and....HAPPY LISTENING!!...
Thanks mucho, pct....but when did you last have your eyes tested, ol' boy?!...Whatever, I shall take the compliment anyway, even if you are looking at the wrong guy!...(puts a nice smile on my face however, as I head for early zzzzzzzz. Trips to the "smoke" take longer to get over these days lol!).
This was a genuine milestone for me, to put a face on all the familiar screen or actual names I've been reading about, interacting with, and enjoying their contributions here on the FA threads. And of course this includes the Feliks family who I feel so familiar with through their work, passion, and warm support. So thanks @hypnos1 for starting all of this, and for being able to be present to report to us from London Can Jam. Now, I really hope you get your Hugo2 and report once again about its sonic qualities. It really is gold for those of us who can't afford this level of gear (yet). Btw, did you hear I'm getting a Mimby?

PS. I keep thinking about you when I'm listening to my Elise nowadays. The sound coming out of the GEC 6080 / Sylvania 6sn7w reminds me so much of the signature I got from the TFK EL12 / EL11 combo, only this time my ears don't hurt! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #3,519 of 11,448
Oh, and thank you to everybody who stuck up for me. Even if you are sceptical of what I stated, at least you respected my opinion.

Regards

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #3,520 of 11,448
I felt strongly concerning the statements made about you AQ SW, unfortunately I have not learned my lesson. Never did leave anything on the table if you know what I mean all the best and good luck

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #3,521 of 11,448
My only encounter with Yggy:

The Yggy and an "almost bottom of the line" dac by the same manufacturer were the two dacs .we did blind testing with at a meet I attended last year.

35% of the blind listeners thought the Yggy sounded better than the "near bottom of the line" dac by the same manufacturer.

35% of the blind listeners preferred the lower end dac. And 25% said they could not discern a noticable difference, while 5% issued no definitive opinion.

Everyone who submitted to the test agreed when looking the two DAC's that surely Yggy would be vastly superior (because it's impressively large size and being so very much more expensive).

The 35% who did prefer Yggy, said the difference was surprisingly subtle, and agreed that Yggy was noticeably better during softer musical passages. Almost all who prferrred Yggy were classical music afficiandos.

If you can afford one, and have the desk space, and can appreciate its musical nuances...

I say: more power to ya.

Cheers....

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #3,522 of 11,448
My only encounter with Yggy:

The Yggy and an "almost bottom of the line" dac by the same manufacturer were the two dacs .we did blind testing with at a meet I attended last year.

35% of the blind listeners thought the Yggy sounded better than the "near bottom of the line" dac by the same manufacturer.

35% of the blind listeners preferred the lower end dac. And 25% said they could not discern a noticable difference, while 5% issued no definitive opinion.

Everyone who submitted to the test agreed when looking the two DAC's that surely Yggy would be vastly superior (because it's impressively large size and being so very much more expensive).

The 35% who did prefer Yggy, said the difference was surprisingly subtle, and agreed that Yggy was noticeably better during softer musical passages. Almost all who prferrred Yggy were classical music afficiandos.

If you can afford one, and have the desk space, and can appreciate its musical nuances...

I say: more power to ya.

Cheers....

My understanding of that: 0.

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #3,523 of 11,448
It is interesting reading the reviews from that last can jam that people that tried the yggy said that it was a very fine sounding dac very clear and concise but sterile. That last word sterile sticks in my mind thinking that is not what music is all about music is about the passion and emotion not just how perfect the wave form is. I am glad that I got the Gumby and not spent the extra on getting the Yggy

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #3,524 of 11,448
JV, while the article that you quote from is interesting it really doesn't prove much other than people's hearing is different. Some people would be put off by the size of it if they're used to using a dragonfly 2 and may not appreciate the extra supposed benefits of the higher-priced dac your visual acuity will also lead you to buy one piece or the other. If you did nothing but a blind test and whatever they chose is the best one, you put all the ingredients in one square black box that you could not differentiate from any of the other and that's the way they were all sold, people would naturally just go for whichever one sounded best of them and they'll buy the one for $50 or $500 it wouldn't matter to them. But design Style and the company's reputation also go into that. I recently tried a dac from a company in China That was supposed to be quite good it was the ladder dac, I thought okay I'll give that a shot it wasn't such a good shot. When I went with the Schiit Gumby I have been very satisfied especially with the customer service. To me that's worth at least 25% of my decision knowing the company is going to back their product. The Euforia amp sounds much better to me than the Elise amp, can I hear the difference between the two, yes do I know that the Euphoria has upgraded parts yes I know that can I hear them I could not pick out an individual resistor, capacitor that made a difference but the sum total of the package definitely made a difference. I rate the design quite highly for what you get for the money that you pay. My problem is the length of the supply chain if you have to send it back for service you've got a week both ways for Transit Plus the hundred and some dollars to ship it back then you have to figure how long is it going to be tied up before they get it fixed. The guy in Australia had to wait quite awhile for the Elise to be fixed, that bothers me and this last episode of mine with the fuse blowing and having to scramble around trying to find a fuse is that user-replaceable the company should have included a spare fuse whether you ever needed it or not cheap insurance, so you'd have one. But that all goes into making up your mind is this product worthwhile, is it better does it sound better, you can make that determination, but there's other things that go into mix before you throw your money down

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #3,525 of 11,448
Here is some music for your morning coffee or tea slow down @hypnos1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back