Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #9,691 of 11,833
In the meantime, all the Schiit about the Eitr made me realise that I am indeed experiencing drops and clicks on my Meridian Explorer 2. This happens when the MacBook Pro is under stress, therefore I assumed it was a processor / Audirvana thing. But now that the decrapifier talk is all over the place, do you guys think that what I'm experiencing is this kind of deal?

I've never experienced that problem, but certainly others have with various DACs. As I understand it Schiit developed Wyrd to deal with USB dropout and connection problems. They never made any claim of SQ improvement, but many seemed to feel that Wyrd did improve SQ. It is unclear to me if Eitr helps with USB connection problems. However, clearly Schiit is now claiming SQ improvement with Eitr.

I think Schiit has tried to make it clear that the SQ improvement is the same with either Eitr or Gen5 USB upgrade or USB Gen5 now included with all new Yggy, Gumby and Bimby multibits. If I don't buy a new Gumby with USB Gen 5, I will either buy Eitr or order a USB Gen5 board for my Bimby when they become available for user install. I notice a significant improvement over direct USB to Bimby by using either the USB by-pass function of the ASUS soundcard or my Holo Audio decrapifier.

One interesting consequence of the introduction of Gen5 is it has probably depressed the resale value of all existing Yggy, Gumby and Bimby multibit DACs, because the new ones come with Gen 5 at no increase in price. On the other hand, those now who buy one of those new multibit DACs aren't having to pay extra for Gen 5.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #9,692 of 11,833
Speaking of ultra–expensive 6sn7 tubes, this one pair really picked my interest. Looks like a Melz regular round hole 6sn7 but different. Something interesting going on with the base too? @Oskari ?

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #9,694 of 11,833
I've never experienced that problem, but certainly others have with various DACs. As I understand it Schiit developed Wyrd to deal with USB dropout and connection problems. They never made any claim of SQ improvement, but many seemed to feel that Wyrd did improve SQ. It is unclear to me if Eitr helps with USB connection problems. However, clearly Schiit is now claiming SQ improvement with Eitr.

I think Schiit has tried to make it clear that the SQ improvement is the same with either Eitr or Gen5 USB upgrade or USB Gen5 now included with all new Yggy, Gumby and Bimby multibits. If I don't buy a new Gumby with USB Gen 5, I will either buy Eitr or order a USB Gen5 board for my Bimby when they become available for user install. I notice a significant improvement over direct USB to Bimby by using either the USB by-pass function of the ASUS soundcard or my Holo Audio decrapifier.

One interesting consequence of the introduction of Gen5 is it has probably depressed the resale value of all existing Yggy, Gumby and Bimby multibit DACs, because the new ones come with Gen 5 at no increase in price. On the other hand, those now who buy one of those new multibit DACs aren't having to pay extra for Gen 5.
Actually, you have a really good point here: it's quite possible people will see this as an opportunity to upgrade so prices of used Schiit may depreciate. However, so far as I have seen people discussing the Eitr, it looks like current owners are just going to add the Eitr while some are waiting out until Schiit starts selling DIY upgrade boards. In any case, it will be a good test to their original marketing strategy / selling point, namely that Schiit products are upgradeable.

On a different note, I believe that the Eitr renders the Wyrd unnecessary as it shares the same idea about isolating from USB bus power. Plus it adds S/PDIF on the equation, therefore better signal quality to the Multibit Schiit—which I think they absolutely need to sound their best.

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #9,695 of 11,833
Actually, the only thing I'd be bidding on right now is a money tree. Good luck. I'm not competing with you :smile_phones:
Cool, let me know if you make it. In the meantime, I'll let you know if I manage to plant an Yggdrasil!

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #9,697 of 11,833
Hey @Aornic, I was reading through the London Can-Jam impressions thread and got to your post which features a lovely pic of the Elise & the Euforia side. Although I recognized the Psvane CV18–TII on the Euforia, which set of tubes are driving the Elise? Are they the Shuguang Treasures or some different version of the Psvane UK6sn7? I wonder whether this plays a role in the warmer sound signature you got on the Elise.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #9,698 of 11,833
Btw, can I attach your pic to this thread? (with references, for sure—I'm an academic after all!)

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #9,700 of 11,833
Sure you can.

I'm not too familiar with PSVANE tubes, but they told me that they were using the entry level ones for the Elise and the gold-pin ones for Euphoria.
Hmmm, perhaps you will sample the Psvane if you get an Euforia for your review... Interesting tubes; for me the UK6sn7 were quite a surprise and I only got over them once I got my hands on the TOTL line of 6sn7 tubes such as the 6sn7w (see "minority report" on the first cumulative post in this thread).

Granted permission I hereby give you the Feliks Audio stand in the 2017 London Can–Jam, courtesy of @Aornic! Many thanks!

khHqGtn.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #9,701 of 11,833
Hmmm, perhaps you will sample the Psvane if you get an Euforia for your review... Interesting tubes; for me the UK6sn7 were quite a surprise and I only got over them once I got my hands on the TOTL line of 6sn7 tubes such as the 6sn7w (see "minority report" on the first cumulative post in this thread).

Granted permission I hereby give you the Feliks Audio stand in the 2017 London Can–Jam, courtesy of @Aornic! Many thanks!

khHqGtn.jpg
I'm looking forward to it. Got my hands on some RCA 7N7's today and find them quite impressive.

Also I included my experience at the Feliks booth in my Can Jam impressions video.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #9,703 of 11,833
Can you see me? Nothing new happening on the mobile friendly version, things are still as they were before.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #9,704 of 11,833
Writing on my cellphone again, instead of going to sleep, obviously! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back