Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 28, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #9,001 of 11,833
Given the experience of the last meet I'm going against the likes of Questyle, Stax, HD800, etc! Definitely a good opportunity for me to learn, and hopefully Elise will hold its own! I don't think anyone owns any multibit Schiit though, what a pity...

To tell you the truth, I don't mind swapping my mother of pearl system with a Yggy, Stax SR-009 and Blue Hawaii..... because as age catches up, I'm more into refinement than more BraZILIAN SAMBA.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #9,002 of 11,833
UT is always exaggerating lol - AUD15.000 is only USD11.351.........Why not spray paint the deck? Easier than painting by hand - you can buy or rent a paint sprayer.

So far the only 6SN7 tubes I do not like so much are the OEM TS Russian reissue. They sound too syrupy and slow. ATM breaking the rules with a pair of 6SN7GTB Sylvania Chrome Top from 1955 and a RCA VT-231 smoked glass from whenever (possibly 40's) and a pair of non recommended EL12N as powers. Personally, IMHO, the EL12N is a worthy substitute for the fabled GEC 6AS7G.

Hi mordy and guys galore...finally managed to catch up with just a few of the pages I've been missing lately, and your post has prompted me to say just a couple (?!) of words before zzzzzzzzzz.

I too have just revisited a previously loved combo of Sylvania "Chrome Dome" 7N7 + NU Black Glass 6SN7 (amongst the finest of this family, to be sure lol!) driving my GEC CV2523s, as part of my extensive temperature testing of the entire internals of my Euforia, to confirm that the EL11/12 (Spezials, in my case) combo does not cause any overheating issues...and already I am extremely surprised at my initial findings - pleasantly so, lol! :L3000:. And from cursory tests of the case and trafo housing before opening her up again properly tomorrow, this 'standard'/approved setup of 6SN7/6AS7G is running at far higher temperatures....(will post the actual figures here and on the Euforia thread tomorrow, as I want to reassure any folks who may still be interested in using the EL tubes - and will also be posting my in-depth comparison between my own EL setup and the aforementioned combo, to complement my comments already made when comparing with the Mullard ECC31/GEC setup). Plus, I have my own points to make re. use of these tubes, and I shan't be pulling any punches LOL!!! :wink:...CHEERS!...and G'night all...

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #9,003 of 11,833
Hi attmci,

$17 for one tube - too expensive! I think I paid $14 for a pair of these incl shipping....All right, you may have to buy a sleeve of 5 to get that price.
I have 6080 tubes from Chatham, Tung Sol, RCA, GE, Sylvania, Philips, Raytheon, Mullard. I guess that I have to revisit them again with the Euforia. I have only been using the Bendix 6080WB lately.

PS: Just checked out eBay - there are still bargains to be found in 6080 tubes - you could buy that Philips tube for $10 incl shipping, and pairs of other brands for $17

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...A0.H0.X6080.TRS0&_nkw=6080+tube&_sacat=183077
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6080-mullard-nos-boxed-valvetube/

Mordy, that must be a while ago. It cost about 30 pounds now without shipping.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #9,004 of 11,833
Hi mordy and guys galore...finally managed to catch up with just a few of the pages I've been missing lately, and your post has prompted me to say just a couple (?!) of words before zzzzzzzzzz.

I too have just revisited a previously loved combo of Sylvania "Chrome Dome" 7N7 + NU Black Glass 6SN7 (amongst the finest of this family, to be sure lol!) driving my GEC CV2523s, as part of my extensive temperature testing of the entire internals of my Euforia, to confirm that the EL11/12 (Spezials, in my case) combo does not cause any overheating issues...and already I am extremely surprised at my initial findings - pleasantly so, lol! :L3000:. And from cursory tests of the case and trafo housing before opening her up again properly tomorrow, this 'standard'/approved setup of 6SN7/6AS7G is running at far higher temperatures....(will post the actual figures here and on the Euforia thread tomorrow, as I want to reassure any folks who may still be interested in using the EL tubes - and will also be posting my in-depth comparison between my own EL setup and the aforementioned combo, to complement my comments already made when comparing with the Mullard ECC31/GEC setup). Plus, I have my own points to make re. use of these tubes, and I shan't be pulling any punches LOL!!! :wink:...CHEERS!...and G'night all...
Give me all your collection because you will get something new soon.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #9,005 of 11,833
My Fotons came in the mail today! Unfortunately, it looks like the plastic mounting rod (is that what it's called?) is broken off. Is it safe to use in my Elise?

IMG_1546[1].JPG

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #9,006 of 11,833
Wow attmci and mordy, you've linked some really cheap power tubes. Cheap tubes but the shipping double the price of the tube to be send to me !!! :)

I've been trying to get hold of a pair of Tung Sol 6080 though.... just can't see it.
Same here UT. I made the purchase just because of that box......... After that, I got a lot of BR 6080WB at very reasonable price.

upload_2017-6-28_22-13-39.png

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #9,010 of 11,833
Hey @hypnos1 give me all your tubes and I will put it through a long term one year test on my upgraded Elise. :)

We will see if the tubes or the tube amp survives.

@attmci please queue up. I am first in line for H1 tubes.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #9,012 of 11,833
Tim that plastic bit that is missing is the guide pin. Without it you really need to know how to insert the Fotons or it will explode.

No self respecting seller will sell a cheap Foton without the guide pins.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #9,015 of 11,833
Tim that plastic bit that is missing is the guide pin. Without it you really need to know how to insert the Fotons or it will explode.

No self respecting seller will sell a cheap Foton without the guide pins.

So as long as it's oriented properly, it should be fine?

Fortunately it was a pretty clean break, and it's easy to see which way the original guide pin was pointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back