Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 25, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #8,911 of 11,833
Im omw to work now. :)

Norah' s voice is alto rather than saprono.
So a lush sounding 6sn7 would be best. I could think of many but I will just state Sylvania 6sn7wgt.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #8,913 of 11,833
Always wear humour on your face in Head-Fi.

I have read without success the last three weeks of posts on this thread to find this "humour" of which you speak. Can you point to me to the most recent example?? O wait. Sorry, I didn't realize you had misspelled "humor".

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #8,915 of 11,833
Jun 25, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #8,916 of 11,833
Sorry Australians spell it as humour. Americans spell it as tumour.

In 5th grade I created a skit. I had one student lying on a table with a sheet over him. Two other students were standing over him, each wearing a sign that said "Surgeon". The first surgeon had a pair of kitchen tongs and appeared to pull something out of the patient's stomach, and said "Well, we got it". The second surgeon then said, "Wait, he's got two-more". I think my grade was "F".

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #8,918 of 11,833
In 5th grade I created a skit. I had one student lying on a table with a sheet over him. Two other students were standing over him, each wearing a sign that said "Surgeon". The first surgeon had a pair of kitchen tongs and appeared to pull something out of the patient's stomach, and said "Well, we got it". The second surgeon then said, "Wait, he's got two-more". I think my grade was "F".

Your teacher did not have a very good sense of humor then! Then again, maybe that's why I wouldn't cut it as a teacher.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #8,919 of 11,833
I saw a post earlier today to the effect that one should not use music to listen to one's equipment, but instead use one's equipment to listen to music. As for listening to music, I think this is pretty darn good:

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #8,920 of 11,833
What is most important is that your music listens to your grear and your gear listens to you. It is call the chain of command.

You are the boss. Never let your gear control you. Makes sense?

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #8,921 of 11,833
What is most important is that your music listens to your grear and your gear listens to you. It is call the chain of command.

You are the boss. Never let your gear control you. Makes sense?

The quote of mine you have dissected and contorted was merely a colorful and poetic way of introducing a nice video. I swear I don't know why I waste my wit and subtle genius on ingrates :triportsad:

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #8,923 of 11,833
Please..... I spend $15000 doing that stupid deck and you ask me to leave it unpainted? With $15000, I could have gotten Chord Dave and then I would be able to give my Yggy to Pct and make him the happiest boy in Scottsdale.
It's so easy to make an audiophile happy! My daughter wouldn't appreciate such a gift to the same extent; I'm sure she prefers the bike much better. Although the other day she really did appreciate some good time listening to Lianne on my setup—how proud can a father be!!!

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #8,924 of 11,833
Haha we can't all be as active as you, UT.

Thanks for recommending the Fotons and Ken-Rads to me for bass, but what would be your tube of choice for magnificent mids? I want to be able to hear all the nuances in Norah Jones' voice.
While I don't have UT's experience on tubes, for me the first time I got a sound such as you are describing was when I paired the Mullard 6080 with the Tung-Sol 6sn7gt. But I quickly moved to the GEC 6080 and the Sylvania 6sn7wgt followed by the Sylvania 6sn7w. I like them so much I haven't yet tried my newly acquired Tung-Sol 5998!

On the same note, today I'm replicating my experiment: one day off and then change back to Sylvania 6sn7wgt. The latter are still really good and of the same kin: as far as I can discern the differences, the 'w' is more resolving while the 'wgt' gives me a more coherent whole. I imagine the differences as the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650—although I haven't actually heard the HD650: the Sylvania 6sn7w is the HD600 and the Sylvania 6sn7wgt is the HD650. I think there's a reason why I own the HD600, but I can definitely see a lot of people (including myself) enjoying the—thankfully cheaper—6sn7wgt!

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #8,925 of 11,833
the Sylvania 6sn7w is the HD600 and the Sylvania 6sn7wgt is the HD650.

You nail it Angelo. Really proud of you. That is a good analogy. I'd even go as far to say that the 6sn7w is the HD800.

Sylvania 6sn7wgt as I said before, is warmer and more lush. It is very comforting on the ears. We don't always want to have the most revealing tone. Sometimes we rather not hear everything and give our ears a rest. What's a few decibels chop off at the top end. This is the reason HD650 is so popular with many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back