Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Apr 29, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #8,004 of 11,833
With all my friendship, let me try to justify some disenchantment I have shown lately. There are indeed big egos here (AS IN ANY FORUM OF THIS TYPE). They are egos of affirmation, they are egos of frustration and they are egos of research, besides others that the science of psychology is in charge of studying
Having a great ego is not by itself a mistake, on the contrary, if properly democratized in the context of a forum, where opinions may diverge and this divergence will help a more perfect solution than the previous one.
Within the research there is one scientific research and one sensory research that sometimes are coincident and at other times they diverge
I think we are happy to have several different ideas from several different participants
Trying to punish or even use phrases that offend, or creating an environment of antagonism can lead to the degradation of a forum on a group who refrain from actively participating for fear of receiving attestations of incompetence on opinion
I ask myself if this is not the reason of only 3 or 4 members participate actively

Secondly, I would like to contribute with my opinion on the EL12n individually and compared to the GEC 6AS7G, which are my reference valves for powers
It took me a long time to accept the idea of using this valve by going out of the parameters and specifications for which ELISE was designed. However complying with the basic rule of not exceeding the specific effort to the components, and accepting that the objective of this construction is altered in its final result, since the interrelationship of the components is fundamental and if one is altered, another one must be as well (compensation) to achieve the same end result
Said that and
Keeping the same drives (regardless of what they are) for this opinion.
I use most of the time the Tung Sun or Ken Rad 6F8G, which may vary depending on the genre of music I'm listening to (singed (male or female), only orchestra, mixed, etc.)
With my system improved with treatment of the main power, with a regenerator and an upgrade in the DAC as well as taking utmost care in the environment in which a valve component should be (Amp and DAC) due to the characteristic microphonie of the valves by electromagnetic influences of outer RFs and interinfluence, I think EL12n as powers are in the same league competing with GEC 6AS7G. Its quality is distinguished by the total absence of background noise as well as its transparency. Water is clearer and more balanced in the context of frequencies. The bass will not be as deep as in the GECs but they are pure, fast and well defined. The highs go to the limit of transparency since it is with the mid and treble that I measure the "cleaning" and balance, and the middle ones are balanced without any hole in the horizontality of the spectrum

The GEC are what I can call the "luxury". They have all what the EL12n’s are, more the sweetness and harmony and color of music. They are rounder, perhaps less sss, with perfect bass (bass - where this valve pops up)

However, the current high price of GECs is unbearable and inflated by speculators, and the price of EL12n may be highly attractive.
Finally:
It does not replace the GECs, but they are very close by, occupying, at will, the 2nd place of my list of Powers. I did not try them as drivers, because I did not have any options as powers

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #8,005 of 11,833
Just want to say that if I needed an ego boost, HeadFi would be one of the last places I would look to find it. The F-A threads have long been more than just about tubes and equipment. I have developed strong friendships through these threads, loved knowing what my fellow Feliksites like listening to, and enjoyed all the friendly banter. We all have our own subjective views towards tubes and equipment, and reading about the experiences of others has enhanced my enjoyment of this hobby immensely. But if tubes and equipment were the only things we talked about on these threads, they would not be very active.

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #8,008 of 11,833
Just got mine, and holy cow!!! I cou

Hello Mondrax, glad you received my Elise in top flight and it's serving you well, according to our PM's. You mentioned you're already impressed with the stock Svetlana 6H13C powers + orange 6SN7's, and possibly to your disenchantment I had mentioned trying even better tubes like bottle shaped ('ST') EL 12's + EL11 or EL12, and some budget great performing options Tungsram E80CC or RCA 6080. How has my amp been doing you, and do you have any comments / questions? Post here so we can help you too in case I'm not in.

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #8,009 of 11,833
Hi FR,

Thanks for your review and comments on the EL12N. I do have the GEC 6AS7G, but ATM I enjoy the EL12N as my standard power tubes. I have 7 of them, 5 used + one new pair, all with different names and from different years, but they all sound the same. As you mentioned, the prices are very reasonable at this time.
My best combination with the EL12N is with a pair of old Telefunken EL11 and a pair of 6J32P (EF86) Svetlana tubes. What I specially like is how cool they are running compared to the 6080/6AS7 tubes.

Regarding this forum (and all others) personal attacks must be avoided at all cost. Everybody has different taste and different equipment, and we have to respect that. What is very interesting to me is that people whom I may disagree with are able to contribute in major ways, be it in insights where to buy tubes or trying new things etc etc.

On a different note, it appears to me that pentode strapped triodes as drivers is a good way to go with the Elise/Euforia. I stumbled upon a mesh pentode that is very inexpensive, and I want to know if anybody has experience with it and if we already have an adapter that will work with it:

6sg7gt_nu.jpg

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6sg7gt.html

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #8,010 of 11,833
Hi FR,

My best combination with the EL12N is with a pair of old Telefunken EL11 and a pair of 6J32P (EF86) Svetlana tubes. What I specially like is how cool they are running compared to the 6080/6AS7 tubes.
I'm currently running the EL12N/EF86 combination myself. Very cool (temperature wise) and a really nice natural/neutral sound.
The only drawback for me, is my EL12Ns occasional make that pinging noise you get during warming up/cooling down, but they still continue to do it during normal play, and it comes through the headphones - so I've ordered a couple more before the prices go up too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back