eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
May 14, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #2,958 of 2,970
That is sweet Nate..I am all ears as to how to get that look. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it just that you need a cavity on the other side?

May 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #2,959 of 2,970

Quote:
Can someone confirm this, or not?

1.  There is no one selling an exstata kit

2.  There is no exstata kit

3.  There is no main board for the exstata

4.   There are no plans to do 1 through 4.

What happened?

The exstata was never planned as a kit, but only as diy board sets. No one is selling any that I know of. The last run of boards was in early 2010. There is not currently another board run planned although I am thinking about it.

So nothing really happened. That is, nothing went wrong but everything went right. All the exstatas that have been built properly are working the way they are designed to. Including some of the early alpha amps that worked well and have flowed out from builders to others I estimate that 60 board sets have gone out and been built.

If I may ask, what's on your mind?

May 14, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #2,960 of 2,970

Quote:
The exstata was never planned as a kit, but only as diy board sets. No one is selling any that I know of. The last run of boards was in early 2010. There is not currently another board run planned although I am thinking about it.

So nothing really happened. That is, nothing went wrong but everything went right. All the exstatas that have been built properly are working the way they are designed to. Including some of the early alpha amps that worked well and have flowed out from builders to others I estimate that 60 board sets have gone out and been built.

He wants to buy or build one, that's what's on his mind.  
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #2,961 of 2,970

Quote:
Show-Off!

Quote:
That is sweet Nate..I am all ears as to how to get that look. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it just that you need a cavity on the other side?

It is not hard (with CNC machined panels) but both dependent on the panel thickness that you're working with and an IEC module that has a sufficient projection to extend through the panel.  This one just sort of happened to work this way, I honestly didn't plan on doing it this time but when I saw that it did work I took advantage. :)  I'm not sure that I would try it if the panel was too thick, back side recesses are very expensive.  And doing it by hand would be almost impossible to have it look really good, although once I have my mill I may give it a shot.

May 14, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #2,963 of 2,970
When an engineer tells me something just worked out, well... me hate you long time. Can't tell you how many times I heard that in my 11 years at TI (Texas Insolence) - no one believed it there either.   :)

Ok, guys, real pretty, but HOW DO THEY SOUND? Nate, that includes you...

Master has me listening to hd800 again. Those of you at CanJam will see why.

May 14, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #2,965 of 2,970
Brian has some scheduled to be there - wouldn't miss it.

May 14, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #2,966 of 2,970

Quote:

Runeight
So the next question is...............
Is there anything needed to be changed/modified on the board layout? So the boardsets can be made commercially available.
At present the heatsinks need to be earthed.(SS version) but is easy to workaround.
Is there any suggestions from yourself or ones who have built them?

This amp deserves to be made available to the larger community.

May 15, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #2,967 of 2,970
Very nice, the low end is excellent. The output at the high frequencies might be a bit limited so it might be a better match with brighter headphones. Or the Sigma Pro as well since it is rolled-off at the top anyway but the usual Sigma "fogginess" has completely gone, it has the power to drive if balanced input is used.
I will soon have something moar interesting to test it out with 
wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But HOW DO THEY SOUND?

May 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #2,969 of 2,970
I have spoken with Alex about his intention to take the eXStatA project in a commercial direction and about how that decision affects this thread.  Until that matter is resolved (between Alex, Jude and the moderation staff) and since there are currently no more boards available I'm going to lock this thread.  It's a complex issue and I would ask for you patience in dealing with it.

If other members (like myself) wish to continue discussing this project and the various builds that are still under construction I would ask that you start another build thread to do so.  Odds are I'll be starting one myself since I just started wiring the power supply of mine today. 

Nate
Head-Fi Moderator

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #2,970 of 2,970
Necro thread bump.

Two questions:

1.) I know certain forums poo-poo'd on the eXStatA design and essentially the Liquid Lightning II. Were there any special notes/upgrades/tweaks that addressed concerns or improvements in general. I have an early/standard hybrid build biased around 580v IIRC - for Koss ES-P950

2.) Anyone able to share a manual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back