Emotiva A-100
Mar 16, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #31 of 759
I own both mini x and a100. A100 replaced Gustard H10 w/Burson op v5 upgrade as my go to head amp. A100 is more v shaped and dynamic than mini x, which I actually prefer with headphones. Emotiva told me they changed op amps and "made a few upgrades" when I asked about the sound signature change.

Mini-x = a100. They are the same thing. Are you talking about the new model(BasX a100)?

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #34 of 759
I am kind of surprised that there has been almost no mention of the BasX TA-100. Speaker and headphone amp with dac that has usb, optical, coax, and bluetooth. Not sure but it sounds like the ta-100 has a separate headphone amp from the speaker amp(guessing because of the description and the different power specs between a100 and ta100). I have been eyeballing the ta100 for some time but still cant find very many reviews...

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #35 of 759
I am kind of surprised that there has been almost no mention of the BasX TA-100. Speaker and headphone amp with dac that has usb, optical, coax, and bluetooth. Not sure but it sounds like the ta-100 has a separate headphone amp from the speaker amp(guessing because of the description and the different power specs between a100 and ta100). I have been eyeballing the ta100 for some time but still cant find very many reviews...

It's headphone output is miniscule compared to the A100.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #37 of 759
but for a couple bucks you could tap into the main power amp and add a second 1/4'' jack, then you would have high and low power output options running off two different amps

Very true! Hmmmmmmm....

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #39 of 759
Okay call me confused?

Is the A100 the same as the BasX a100, and are these both the same as the "mini-x"????

A-100 came in 3 models for far. Mini-x gen 1 and 2, which gen 1 has silver plates and knob on front and gen 2 black. Not sure if any changes on the inside. And then bas-x which added headphone output, changed PCB layout, and changed op amp from tl072 to ne5532.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #41 of 759
And then bas-x which added headphone output, changed PCB layout, and changed op amp from tl072 to ne5532.

Where is the OpAmp? Is there only one? I looked for OpAmps when I opened my latest version to install jumpers and couldn't find a single one. I removed the heatsink to look under it. So, I think I looked everywhere.

P.S. I was surprised to see Emotiva branded capacitors.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #42 of 759
Where is the OpAmp? Is there only one? I looked for OpAmps when I opened my latest version to install jumpers and couldn't find a single one. I removed the heatsink to look under it. So, I think I looked everywhere.

That info came from Emotiva after telling them multiple times mini x and bas x sound different multiple times and suggesting op amp change. I finally got an email from Emotiva president Dan Laufman confirming my suspicions. I haven't opened mine up yet to install my jumpers, still trying to get my hands on a he-6.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #43 of 759

That info came from Emotiva after telling them multiple times mini x and bas x sound different multiple times and suggesting op amp change. I finally got an email from Emotiva president Dan Laufman confirming my suspicions. I haven't opened mine up yet to install my jumpers, still trying to get my hands on a he-6.

Did you find that the new version sounded worse? You only said "different".

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #44 of 759
Did you find that the new version sounded worse? You only said "different".

Bas x sounds more v shaped and dynamic. And vocals sound more narrow in the center image. I love it with the headphones I use He-500 and Elear. Mini x sounds more natural with my focal 706 desktop speakers. The bas x makes them a little bright sometimes up close. I wouldn't say one is definitely better.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #45 of 759
I recently purchased the Emotiva A-100 amp and I am really impressed. It is easily better than my Schiit Magni 2 Uber or my JDS O2. Not. Even. Close. I use this amp with my HD 600s and 400is. However, I did try the Pangea AC-14 C-7 power cable. It sounded awful with this amp on first listen; I let it "burn in" for 30-35 hours, and the sound did not improve. With the Pangea, the Emotiva sounded like a veil had been placed over the sound on each of my 'phones. I was actually skeptical about whether a cable could make any difference whatsoever, and to my amazement I could not only hear a difference, but it was appreciably worse. What did improve the amp's sound was switching from Monoprice (and other generic) RCAs to Audioquest Evergreen cables These cables to my various dacs transformed a very good amp into an amazing one. I've heard details in my music that I didn't know where there before. Who knew that a cable could impact the sound so much?     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back