Electrostatic ear speaker DIY'ers suppliers list
Jul 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #32 of 41
yay first tests with 2µm Mylar are very promissing :) now i would like to put the testbench setup in a case so i can try it at home. somewhere here in the forum i saw that Wachara 3dprinted a Stax connector and not sure if he posted the stl file for those? and David milled them with the cnc? would love to build those myself :) hope you can point me to the files:)

cheers janosch

Jul 4, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #33 of 41
Hi Janosch,

I am glad the 2um Mylar is promising. You seem to be making good progress.

I do use a CNC to make my plugs, although earlier you wrote that you would not be using the Stax plug and socket.... although I think it is good if you do.
I mill from hardwood and plastic, depending on the plug I intend to use. The pins are from 3 pin XLR plug kits. Obviously you will need two plug kits and have one spare pin.
The spacing for milling was given by another Head-Fi user a while back on Wachara's thread, not sure how far back. I have just looked through my files and I have not saved it. I will look through my home PC and back through the thread to find the drawing. The holes for the pins are 2.5mm which provides a nice tight fit on the pin.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #34 of 41
yeah david and the results i get with your test bench setup are by far better then i expected from this diy project pretty amazing :) also planing on buying a bigger cnc machine and i think its more clever to stick with an "standard" conecter if i might make one for friend who uses an stax amp... those xlr pins i have some good idea :)
and those are compatible with the original stax cabels?

cheers janosch

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #35 of 41
Yep, the 3 pin XLR pins are the pins to make an exact fit on a Stax socket!
The results from the audio transformer energiser should be good. Just wait 'till you plug them into a tube or solid state energiser, you'll be even happier with the sound.

I have now found the pages and thread numbers in Wachara's thread for the plug details:
Page 60 - post 895
Page 102 - posts 1521 and 1529
This will show you lots of information on the plugs.

David.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #39 of 41
Hi Janosch,

Sorry to hear your Mylar didn't arrive from the eBay seller, but glad you're still making electrostatics - not heard from you in a while.
The sellers that most use on eBay are one of two who advertise on eBay.COM from Taiwan. They use the normal logo picture of a guy holding stretched out Mylar.
Alternatively, you could use the seller www.indoorspecialties.com OR freeflightsupplies.co.uk/index.php/products/lightweight-covering-materials.
I haven't used either of these, but when I was writing the suppliers list, more than one person recommended each of them.

David.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back