Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Apr 7, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #106 of 358
As I understand it, the Explorer will come with Tidal pre-installed, but Spotify will have to be 'side-loaded' (hopefully that's a fairly straightforward process for the technically challenged like me!).

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #107 of 358
As I understand it, the Explorer will come with Tidal pre-installed, but Spotify will have to be 'side-loaded' (hopefully that's a fairly straightforward process for the technically challenged like me!).

It is , there is an APK manager, you download the APK file to an SD card and then use the APK manager to install the file from the SD card to your device - I can't stand Android yet I managed to install Spotify without any hassle.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #108 of 358
Yes, it does come with Tidal pre-installed. My questions more towards how we update it. Sideloading is fairly easy I'm just wondering if downloading the APKs for the pre-installed software is the way to go or if we need to wait for Echobox to send us updated apps.

Are they custom for Echobox basically is the question.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #109 of 358
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Echobox Audio Explorer development update meeting, 10:30 - 11:30am TODAY in the Olympic 1 Ballroom. If you can't attend in person, tune in to our Facebook as we will be broadcasting live. Hope to see you all there! :)

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #110 of 358
We have an announcement to make! We would like to officially welcome Mr. Andre Moore, aka @shiorisekine, as the newest member of Team Echobox :) Andre is currently in training as our Customer Support Manager, and right out the gate he is already rocking :metal::metal: For those of you on Head-Fi, Andre is no stranger, having been an active member of this community for years. We could not be more excited to have him as part of our team, so please join us in a warm welcome :)

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #111 of 358
We have an announcement to make! We would like to officially welcome Mr. Andre Moore, aka @shiorisekine, as the newest member of Team Echobox
smily_headphones1.gif
Andre is currently in training as our Customer Support Manager, and right out the gate he is already rocking :metal::metal: For those of you on Head-Fi, Andre is no stranger, having been an active member of this community for years. We could not be more excited to have him as part of our team, so please join us in a warm welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Admit it, Sam. This guy was hired partly to make it so you don't have to deal with me, which is why he's making the up yours sign in traditional English parlance. That ain't no peace sign. 
evil_smiley.gif
wink_face.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #112 of 358
Admit it, Sam. This guy was hired partly to make it so you don't have to deal with me, which is why he's making the up yours sign in traditional English parlance. That ain't no peace sign. :evil: :wink_face:

Alas...You have discovered our true motives. I suppose we have no choose now but to settle this in a gentleman's dual...!

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #113 of 358

Admit it, Sam. This guy was hired partly to make it so you don't have to deal with me, which is why he's making the up yours sign in traditional English parlance. That ain't no peace sign. 
evil_smiley.gif
wink_face.gif

Alas...You have discovered our true motives. I suppose we have no choose now but to settle this in a gentleman's dual...!

That would require gentleman to be present. I've just got a little dual-wielding Drizzt going on. Dark, man.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #115 of 358
Jun 23, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #117 of 358
Whoa, looks like things got a little crazy. So now that the "Official" explorer thread is locked. Is it safe to say the discussion will move here, or is there an unofficial thread somewhere.
Hell yeah. Who's excited about the announcement on IndieGoGo?

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #119 of 358
So, after using the explorer exclusively at work for the last few months I find that the sound is really pretty good for my use.
There have been a few OS issues that I hope have been taken cars of with all the updates, and yes, they have been noted and sent to teamechobox by me or the others that have had their units.
I would suggest to all that they add a screen protector, as I have found that lying the unit screen down has caused some scuffing of the screen to happen.
I have since taken to lying it face up, which has had the affect of lessoning the double takes by co-workers thinking that I have a flask o'happy juice on my desk.
A cover/case may take care of this issue, also.

Finally getting the dock will be nice, also.
I can usually get through a day or so of listening on and off before it dies on me and I need to plug it in.
Guesstimat would be around 7-8 hours or so?? That's a real big guess there as I have not put a timer on it.

It drives my new Aeons pretty well, also.

I have mostly been listening to Tidal and the only issues have been when I turn the unit off and then back on without exiting Tidal I have to sometimes shut Tidal down and start it up again.
WiFi on mine has been very good, Only have buffering issues when the company internet has issues, high winds, weather etc.

UAPP works well when I do use it, the only quirk there is the weird UAPP vs. Android volume adjustments. Still don't understand why the two are not linked.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #120 of 358
So, after using the explorer exclusively at work for the last few months I find that the sound is really pretty good for my use.
There have been a few OS issues that I hope have been taken cars of with all the updates, and yes, they have been noted and sent to teamechobox by me or the others that have had their units.
I would suggest to all that they add a screen protector, as I have found that lying the unit screen down has caused some scuffing of the screen to happen.
I have since taken to lying it face up, which has had the affect of lessoning the double takes by co-workers thinking that I have a flask o'happy juice on my desk.
A cover/case may take care of this issue, also.

Finally getting the dock will be nice, also.
I can usually get through a day or so of listening on and off before it dies on me and I need to plug it in.
Guesstimat would be around 7-8 hours or so?? That's a real big guess there as I have not put a timer on it.

It drives my new Aeons pretty well, also.

I have mostly been listening to Tidal and the only issues have been when I turn the unit off and then back on without exiting Tidal I have to sometimes shut Tidal down and start it up again.
WiFi on mine has been very good, Only have buffering issues when the company internet has issues, high winds, weather etc.

UAPP works well when I do use it, the only quirk there is the weird UAPP vs. Android volume adjustments. Still don't understand why the two are not linked.

Thanks Bear, that's good to know.
Hope Echobox come good on their promise to replace your unit asap.

The other IGG backers' Explorers have apparently shipped, so hopefully we'll soon get a sense of what has been fixed.

What a ride! It's been almost 2 years since I heard a prototype Explorer at CanJam London. I liked it a lot then, both the sound and the design concept. I thought it would be a real keeper, something with lasting appeal that the likes of Fiio and Pioneer will struggle to match.
Since then, we've gone to Android 6 and UAPP, and from digital coaxial output to optical which is a win for me as a Chord Mojo owner.
The only thing I would wish for, if it performs to spec, is aptX Bluetooth, but you can't have everything it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back