Earbuds Round-Up
May 23, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #20,281 of 74,632
I got both the RX1 and the BK's last week. To me, and all of this is subjective: RX1 is decent -- tight bass, not overwhelming, good resolution, good soundstage, clear. However, I find the mids a bit thin and 'tinny', and so I EQ them to sound richer. The BKs: another league all together in air between the instruments and richer mids; cohesive yet large soundstage. But, I found it to be VERY BRIGHT. Yikes, peaky at between 7-10 khz -- still the highs are sweet!. Yep, I eq these as well (thankfully I bought them for my work and not for portable use). I use thick and think foam covers, plus the eq to tame the brightness. But I love the sweetness, the separation of instruments yet cohesiveness. Bass is there, but not too deep nor too overwhelming, like the RX1. With the covers and the EQ, I am very very pleased with the BKs.
And let me add, as I am listening -- I am surprised at the depth of soundstage of the BK. This depth, over the RX1, adds to the whole enjoyable experience of the BKs.

May 23, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #20,282 of 74,632
Anyone use something like this for their earbud collection?

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-1354-R...&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=plano+tackle+box&psc=1

Thinking this, and some "Pick -n- Pluck" to hold the DAP and some accessories up top? Only problem I see... I'm going to need a lot of 'buds to fill those drawers.

Ohh thanks a lot....well that kind of makes my life easy.

Just finish burning in my TY Hi-Z (in my own way)........hmm sound a little better......the peak at upper mid section is slightly recess....finally.

May 23, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #20,283 of 74,632
I guess he might find more options to try at Popular Bookshop. Stereo and Jaben might have only costly ones but Popular should have budget ones as well. Just to make it clear, Budget ones in Singapore might start from S$25 or even more :)
Nah, that's too exp for me if its a budget bud. I rather wait for sale on AE

May 23, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #20,284 of 74,632
The BKs: another league all together in air between the instruments and richer mids; cohesive yet large soundstage. But, I found it to be VERY BRIGHT. Yikes, peaky at between 7-10 khz -- still the highs are sweet!. Yep, I eq these as well (thankfully I bought them for my work and not for portable use). I use thick and think foam covers, plus the eq to tame the brightness. But I love the sweetness, the separation of instruments yet cohesiveness. Bass is there, but not too deep nor too overwhelming, like the RX1. With the covers and the EQ, I am very very pleased with the BKs.

This surprises me, but it may be a difference in source. I don't find the BKs bright at all. Compared to my Grados and Masya, the top end was rolled off, to the point I was worried the buds sounded a little dark, though the treble has come in nicely. I also had to turn off the EQ, as the bass was overwhelming at first. Overall, they are breaking in nicely and respond well to EQ. While the top end has opened up, I'd never say they are bright. Could be a difference in hearing as well. Enjoy.

May 23, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #20,285 of 74,632
Nah, that's too exp for me if its a budget bud. I rather wait for sale on AE
Actually Singapore is very expensive City so you might not find anything which is available at $5 or $10. I remember even Remax 302 was also around S$20 or I guess at S$15. But apart from that, I did not find anything in that range. Recently EP0008 from Valore is available at S$14 which is very good price. I could not buy that because that time the price for this was S$39. :frowning2:

May 23, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #20,286 of 74,632
This surprises me, but it may be a difference in source. I don't find the BKs bright at all. Compared to my Grados and Masya, the top end was rolled off, to the point I was worried the buds sounded a little dark, though the treble has come in nicely. I also had to turn off the EQ, as the bass was overwhelming at first. Overall, they are breaking in nicely and respond well to EQ. While the top end has opened up, I'd never say they are bright. Could be a difference in hearing as well. Enjoy.
@Fabi was saying they are very transparent to the source, that could explain your different experiences;

May 23, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #20,287 of 74,632
@Fabi was saying they are very transparent to the source, that could explain your different experiences;
True, it could be the source. I am at an HP elitedesk running foobar, with a modi dac and an Objective2 amp. and they certainly are bright to me (whereas my FLC8s, FLARE r2a's are not here at work ). I will try them at home tonight on my ipod classic 5thG with a Cayin C5 -- very warm combo. Still, this shows that the BK's are a very good earbud technically and need to be matched appropriately.

May 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #20,289 of 74,632
DSC_0013-01.jpeg
Finally did the jack replacement for the Qian39! Idk if its a placebo effect but the rhodium jack (if it is real rhodium, got it off taobao) seem to make the sound abit clearer.

Pretty good so far i must say.

May 23, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #20,290 of 74,632
Ok guys, just got my "Philips" SHE3800 from Fasttech, took long enough to ship.

I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I HEAR!

These $3.21 things make even my old SONY MDR-E818 sound "bad" (which I otherwise considered "quite good"). I didn't even expect these buds come close to the SONY, but they beat it.. fantastic! Very powerful and round bass which I love and also otherwise just fantastic! Didn't do much testing yet, am not really an "audiophile" anyway...but still! Superb!

Now..I still have VE Monks coming as well...will see...but those buds imho will be hard to beat!

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #20,291 of 74,632

These $3.21 things make even my old SONY MDR-E818 sound "bad" (which I otherwise considered "quite good"). I didn't even expect these buds come close to the SONY, but they beat it.. fantastic! Very powerful and round bass which I love and also otherwise just fantastic! Didn't do much testing yet, am not really an "audiophile" anyway...but still! Superb!

Now..I still have VE Monks coming as well...will see...but those buds imho will be hard to beat!
The bass is freaking everywhere!

May 23, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #20,292 of 74,632
True, it could be the source. I am at an HP elitedesk running foobar, with a modi dac and an Objective2 amp. and they certainly are bright to me (whereas my FLC8s, FLARE r2a's are not here at work ). I will try them at home tonight on my ipod classic 5thG with a Cayin C5 -- very warm combo. Still, this shows that the BK's are a very good earbud technically and need to be matched appropriately.
From what I have experienced, on differents sources with different sound sig, BK sound basically like the source signature with a tiny hint of warmth and energy. :)
But on each source (with no emphasis on high mids), I need to add a few dB on high mids to have a more natural and coherent midrange to treble transition, otherwise treble sounds unnaturally peaky and comes out too suddenly, cause of the slightly recessed high mids. IMHO
My 1 cent, yes my wallet is empty..

May 23, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #20,293 of 74,632
Have it for about a week now. Overall a very good and balanced sounding earbud. Not quite a champion level yet, but it is easily a upper great / contender level. Quite an impressive feat for PMV's first earbud.
Surprise, surprise .. really good, did not expect ..
Received my PMV Aoede a few days ago and have been enjoying it very much. High level of performance for $30-$35 with balanced, natural sound. The metal anodized body and sturdy construction gives it a more premium look and feel than generic plastic shells.

4vkA2xt.jpg

Hbrg0Bk.jpg

May 23, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #20,294 of 74,632

I love she3800 aswell, but Qian25 beats it :wink:

May 23, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #20,295 of 74,632
Agreed. H180 has boosted bass and lower treble which sometimes can sound artifical and digital. On the other hand Vido is more mature and all-rounder for me

I use Sennheiser HD600's as my primary headphone, so the boosted bass and lower treble sits well for my ears. The one thing I like about slightly recessed treble in cheap earbuds is that it doesn't need to be refined since it's recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back