E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Nov 7, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #391 of 1,955

Yes, addition of the 3 latest woods (Sapele, Palo Santo & Zebrawood) are shown in photos on MassDrop today with Chan's note to email him if wanting to buy these additional cups for sale or modifications.

I'm not affiliated; Chan may have more wood types available if you email him. Surely he will be adding more different wood cup types for sale to the list with time.

The MassDrop run is again dropping for Teak, Rosewood & Ebony woods only.

Nice! Really tempted myself now. Is he offering the usual discount to people who own the headphones?

I dunno. Maybe so again. Guess as before, with either proof of purchase thru MassDrop or direct from E-MU he might be offering that bonus again.

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #392 of 1,955
Hello,
Quick question:
On the e-mu site they offer teak audiophile reference headphones for $999.
Are these comparable? Just shorter cable (6 feet vs 3 meters)
Or is there some major difference that I have not identified?
PS
I did read the whole thread before asking this :wink:
Thanks in advance for any help.

Same exact headphone; MassDrop ($500 USD + SH) now has the detachable cables. Guessing the main E-MU site might ship the detachable cables too - if ordering from E-MU site, best to ask first about cables, unless that is a MassDrop exclusive feature. Also same exact headphone as was in 1st drop on MassDrop, except that 1st drop had fixed cables. Both 1st & current 2nd drops offer Teak, Rosewood or Ebony cups. So, yes, cable is the only difference.

Not sure if E-MU/Creative still has 2 sites as they once did before - the Singapore site and the USA site, but Singapore site may show price in Singapore dollars. Today's exchange rate is $720 USD = $1000 Singapore dollars. It's possible check-out on their site might be in Singapore dollars at $999 in your shopping cart. MassDrop offers the reduced price based on a group order of each of us individuals all together.

If so, the Asian site may still run sales and special sign-ups for discounts, as they have done that a lot before. Some of the sales may be only for certain countries. But, emailing Chan will help for questions buying from different countries if buying direct from site. Chan is a super guy & really dedicated to his headphones.

Hope this helps & is not confusing.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #393 of 1,955
Anyone have any problems w the non-detachable cables? The socket for the detachable cable looks awfully klunky... not loving the looks of the cable themselves either. I love the flexibility and idea of detachable cables... but do you owners think it is worth the price upgrade based on build quality of the original alone? I wish the detachable cables were like the HD6xx connectors instead, like the ones on the TH610. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #394 of 1,955
Anyone who owns both our any combination of the TH-X00/E-MU like to elaborate more on the sound differences between the TH-X00 (Mahogany and Purpleheart) and the E-MU Teak. Seems like the E-MU Rosewood is somewhat comparably to the PH TH-X00, but I feel like I'm getting mixed reviews on the E-MU Teak vs TH-X00 Mahogany. I'm interested in some feedback on comparisons.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #395 of 1,955

I dunno. Maybe so again. Guess as before, with either proof of purchase thru MassDrop or direct from E-MU he might be offering that bonus again.

What was that bonus?

Anyone who owns both our any combination of the TH-X00/E-MU like to elaborate more on the sound differences between the TH-X00 (Mahogany and Purpleheart) and the E-MU Teak. Seems like the E-MU Rosewood is somewhat comparably to the PH TH-X00, but I feel like I'm getting mixed reviews on the E-MU Teak vs TH-X00 Mahogany. I'm interested in some feedback on comparisons.

+1 

Interested in these too.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #396 of 1,955
At first, extra cups were 79 a set for those who bought E-MU headphones. Not sure if it remained there or went up over time, sorta recall it may have increased a bit, but still at a sensational value; it was some time ago to remember.

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #398 of 1,955

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4kbf70/woodies_emu_wood_series_teak_rosewood_ebony_and/

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #399 of 1,955
Thanks for the link. Good stuff. So I'm interpreting the TH-X00 Mahogany vs E-MU Teak comparison of more of a preference of a bit more V shape vs more mid forward balanced yet, more similar than different.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #400 of 1,955
So I just put the ZMF Eikon pads on my Teak.    Initial impressions are not looking good...

... for all the other pads.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #401 of 1,955
Ok, so Eikon pads on the Teak: the pads are bigger than the cups on the headphone, but only by about 3mm-ish. They weigh less than the omni pads, and it's noticeable on these cans. They aren't as thick as the omni pads, but are super soft and the memory foam is absolutely perfect. They seal great, are the right blend of firm and cushy, and don't seem to be getting hot.

Sound: If you squish the Omni pads or Alpha pads in while wearing them, there is this sweet spot where you get a little more presence in the entire presentation of the sound. That is right where the Eikon pads sit on my head. I'm getting about 95.5% of stock pad sound, where the omni pads were maybe 89%. Out of all the pads I tried, the omni were the best, until there Eikon pads came along.

There is a little bit of a recessed mid I detect compared to stock, but the slight emphasis on treble the Omni pads had is reduced. It's a nice step in the right direction, and I highly recommend them.

(Going to go try them on other headphones now.)

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #402 of 1,955
Ok, so Eikon pads on the Teak: the pads are bigger than the cups on the headphone, but only by about 3mm-ish. They weigh less than the omni pads, and it's noticeable on these cans. They aren't as thick as the omni pads, but are super soft and the memory foam is absolutely perfect. They seal great, are the right blend of firm and cushy, and don't seem to be getting hot.

Sound: If you squish the Omni pads or Alpha pads in while wearing them, there is this sweet spot where you get a little more presence in the entire presentation of the sound. That is right where the Eikon pads sit on my head. I'm getting about 95.5% of stock pad sound, where the omni pads were maybe 89%. Out of all the pads I tried, the omni were the best, until there Eikon pads came along.

There is a little bit of a recessed mid I detect compared to stock, but the slight emphasis on treble the Omni pads had is reduced. It's a nice step in the right direction, and I highly recommend them.

(Going to go try them on other headphones now.)

Good good... Thanks man... much needed guinea-pigness. But you do it, so we don't have to.

*strikes out omni pads and makes note of eikon pads instead*

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #403 of 1,955
I just found these replacement pads on AliExpress @$18. They also have that inner plastic disc plates besides the holder ring.

Anyone with the TH900 or something (full wide open pads) or who wants replacement for their broken stock pads... here you go:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-for-Denon-AH-D2000-D5000-D7000-D-2000-5000-7000-Headphones/32664645187.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.11.JqegAl&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10037_10033_10032_10077,searchweb201603_1&btsid=022896b2-72e6-4b4b-ac3f-44adb51acf22

For those who need a bit wider (space for the ear D2000) pads, here's the $30 ones: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ear-pads-replacement-cover-for-DENON-AH-D2000-AH-D5000-AH-D7000-Headphones-Original-earmuffes-headphone/32396208389.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.19.JqegAl&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10037_10033_10032_10077,searchweb201603_1&btsid=022896b2-72e6-4b4b-ac3f-44adb51acf22

Good news is these have those disc plates too. I guess these may be better material or something, hence the higher price.

I think these are the best options for a cheaper, non-leather way out.

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #404 of 1,955
Hey guys,

Just want to ask the people that got this through massdrop if there's any QC/finishing problems? I'm refunding the purplehearts because the cups and frame had obviously visible finish problems. Not what I expected on a $400+ piece of kit. I'm praying the teaks will have better QC/finishing. I love the sound of the purplehearts and hopefully the bass is similar with the teaks.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #405 of 1,955
Hey guys,

Just want to ask the people that got this through massdrop if there's any QC/finishing problems? I'm refunding the purplehearts because the cups and frame had obviously visible finish problems. Not what I expected on a $400+ piece of kit. I'm praying the teaks will have better QC/finishing. I love the sound of the purplehearts and hopefully the bass is similar with the teaks.

The finish Chan uses in the teals is much more durable and high quality than the finish fostex uses. At least when it comes to the finish there shouldn't be any QC issues. The rest of the apparatus would be the same as what fostex uses, which has been fairly durable. The connectors are new, and there isn't any feedback yet at how durable they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back