Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Dec 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #61 of 597
thanks! pretty excited. will be using them via a J3, Clip Zip, Objective2, and CSP2+.  with my universals, i tried them out of my csp2 but wasnt impressed at all.  when i had my W4 and DNA Sonett, i absolutely loved the combo.  it really sounded amazing. makes me want to get both again. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #62 of 597
Well, I received my customs today and I'm impressed but only with my right ear piece.... but the appearance and quality is spot on.

The first thing I noticed was the bass then I noticed that the customs felt unbalanced as it felt like more sound was coming from my right ear. I noticed it felt more distant and the bass was there but wasn't as present as it was in my right ear than left. So I'm guessing I'll need a slight refit. Nothing serious but just a tad more acrylic to create the proper seal as its just at the edge right now.

P.S I'll post some pictures tomorrow as my lighting isn't the best

Edit: With a little more meticulous observing, my right IEM piece has about a 1mm difference or more than my left in the diameter of the inner ear canal. And there is no/very very little seal with my left piece. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #63 of 597
Not that you don't need a refit, but in my experience the seal improves over time as cerumen builds up on the shell.  You can also try a bit of saliva or some lubricant that is safe for skin contact.

And after reading your edit it does sound like you need a refit, but you may be able to get a better seal before you send them back just to hear what you should get back.  Sorry to hear about the issue.

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #64 of 597
i might totally be mistaken but arent ears usually not equal anyways? thats why there could be  a difference.  if i remember ocrrectly, mine werent completely even for my old customs.

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #66 of 597

Well the main problem is this. If you can see that in one of the pictures, my ear canal looks straight, while in the other it has the "hump" of the starting point of the send bend of the ear. I'm already talking to Mitch about this so its getting taken care of.

And just to clarify, everything is perfectly comfortable and snug but for my left ear canal of the monitor.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #68 of 597
I've been trying to decide between this and the TS842, even though the TS842 fits my preference, the dreamears seems like a better value overall.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #69 of 597
@ Flipsidiaz: any updates?

@ xatlx: congratulations. Anticipation sucks!

@KimChee: value doesn't matter if you would prefer something else. I always recommend buying to preference. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #70 of 597
Yea, I already talked to Mitch about it and my left monitor has been sent back for the refit. Should be about two weeks or so till I have them back. 

Mitch is the same as always, being very helpful and informative, telling me that was probably due to my impressions.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #71 of 597

Quote:
Yea, I already talked to Mitch about it and my left monitor has been sent back for the refit. Should be about two weeks or so till I have them back. 

Mitch is the same as always, being very helpful and informative, telling me that was probably due to my impressions.

Correct impressions are absolutely critical -- if they are spot on the rest on the process is a no brainer for the manufacturer.  I recently had impressions taken and was amazed at how different each of my ears are.  The canal in my right ear is not only longer but with a noticeably larger diameter as well.  I guess I am a righty in more ways than one. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #72 of 597
Average joe do you ever sell off your customs after you're done reviewing them?

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #73 of 597

Quote:

Quote:
Correct impressions are absolutely critical -- if they are spot on the rest on the process is a no brainer for the manufacturer.  I recently had impressions taken and was amazed at how different each of my ears are.  The canal in my right ear is not only longer but with a noticeably larger diameter as well.  I guess I am a righty in more ways than one. 
biggrin.gif

Yes, impressions make a huge difference, I hope the two weeks passes quickly for you. 

Quote:
Average joe do you ever sell off your customs after you're done reviewing them?

No, I keep them for future reviews/comparison sections. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #74 of 597
my aud5x came in yesterday and ive been burning it in and listening to it here and there. ill hold off saying a lot about the sound until later but ill mention about build quality and such.  

looks well built. there is an air pocket near the rear of my ear touching one of the drivers but not a big deal. i think my jh16 was like that from JHA. maybe its normal?  the angle of the aud5x seems a little bit more extreme than my previous 2 CIEMs but that could be due to the impression. although it should be said that both my impressions were done at the same place by the same doctor. in any case, there is a decent amount of pressure but im sure my ears will just get used to it. seal seems good on both sides. 

one thing i am unhappy about is the custom color face plate i chose.  i guess its my fault because i sent this link http://www.1964ears.com/1964-EARS-clear-with-black-faceplates-art.jpg thinking that the black was a very dark translucent black but mitch said it was a solid black. so what i received was a medium black face plate and clear body.  i guess this could be an issue when the shells are not made at the actual place as they are with 1964, jha and other CIEM companies. i have to examine them in some light but i think i might have seen a blemish near the DE logo on one side.

so far, maybe with 8-10 hours on them, the sound is... or has, great depth. more to follow later when i can get more hours on them.  overall, so far so good! mitch is also a great guy. very nice and responsive. 

edit: i noticed in my left monitor that when i move my head from left to right there is a clicking noise. i hear it with the cable attached with or without a source. but if i detach the cable its not there. any idea on what it might be?

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #75 of 597
I just got my aud 5x 20 minutes ago, after a quick comparison with my sm3s, the sm3s give me more bass with the stock grey tips, Joe, do you find this to be true?
I am afraid that I might have a fit problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back