Dre Beats Studio DIY teardown and modify question...
Oct 21, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #91 of 121
  @vantt1  the operating voltage is DC 3V, that is the output on wrote on the plug - how do i upload picture by the way?  so I can show you what I thought and verify with you - I think the setup should be very similar to your beats bluetooth.  I want to upload the diagram I draw for wiring and share. 

You can't upload pictures until you have more than 10 posts I think.

and is there any tear down beats by dre studio 2 Video btw? that will help a lot

Probably not. The new design's earcups are covered with a silicone cover on the back, which are impossible to reinstall after you take them off. The headband is also really tricky to put back together. I took it apart one, never again. The headband cushion is now loose along the edge.

PLAN:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/li-polymer-rechargeable-baterry-Lithium-ion-300-mAh-3-7v-602030-for-mp3Bluetooth-/281272835089?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Batteries&hash=item417d2adc11
I am planning to get this as this is exact voltage and ma on the plug and the "beats bluetooth" tear down picture with the micro usb charging module - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-5V-MICRO-USB-1A-Lithium-Battery-Charging-Protection-in-one-Board-Module-/300919267742?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46102fa19e

After I make sure it work with this modules combo, i will try to get the bluetooth to work if it is not too complicated, otherwise I will just do the normal adding removable cable mod for headphones showing on youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHGJqfM0wE

SETUP:

My thought of the wiring diagram is like the fallowing  -

(Battery -> charging port ) or ( the DC plug for the demo version) -> to the battery indicator -> amp with the noise canellation -> headphones drivers

Demo Unit for 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beats-by-Dr-Dre-Beats-Studio-2-0-Over-Ear-Headphones-Red-Display-Model-GREAT-/201189118360?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2ed7ce5198

1.) it should be very easy to test out if the above battery modules work or not, it is a y-cable connect to the earphone cup - one side is the power and the other side is the 3.5mm jack before it is split, so instead of like the previous try in the earlier in the thread, I will cut it  before it COMBINED to one cable, so i dont worry about to confuse which one is which.  once this is work then I will tell you guys the next step.

and the source input should connect directly to the amp with the 3.5mm jack, so  if would like to add bluetooth it should be just switch the 3.5mm jack to the bluetooth module - but I am confusing how power this up, which I need vantt1 for help on this

I am also want to get this pair of bluetooth headphones similar to the beats studio setting - http://www.ebay.com/itm/141409130638?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT -  if the modules metioned above is not working

Any idea or suggestion will help!

I think the New Beats Studio has a lot less tolerance for circuit boards that weren't originally designed for it, so a new circuit may be a problem. The old Beats Studio was a cinch, because the cavity was a uniform cylinder. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #92 of 121
Hi everyone. I have Beats Studio old version and waiting for my new Beats Studio wireless titanium which I bought from Ebay in slight used condition. I haven't see any replacement battery for the new version nor I don't know how it looks like and if it can be easily replaced. does anyone have any idea about that? are these batteries available in market? 

second, how many times these batteries can be charged? we know that a good quality AA or AAA batteries can be charged around 1000 times. any help will be appreciated. thank you

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #93 of 121
  Hi everyone. I have Beats Studio old version and waiting for my new Beats Studio wireless titanium which I bought from Ebay in slight used condition. I haven't see any replacement battery for the new version nor I don't know how it looks like and if it can be easily replaced. does anyone have any idea about that? are these batteries available in market? 

second, how many times these batteries can be charged? we know that a good quality AA or AAA batteries can be charged around 1000 times. any help will be appreciated. thank you

I highly doubt the New Beats Studio's battery is able to be replaced without damaging some other part of the headphone.

They are quoted to have up to 12 hours listening time on one charge. Lithium ion batteries typically have a 400 charge cycle effective life before capacity starts to decrease. Use them for an hour a day everyday, and you'd expect them to last 400 (charge cycles) x 12 (hours of use) / 365 (days in a year, an hour per day) = 13 years of everyday use. That's more than enough!

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #94 of 121
thanks for quick reply and good information. I use my beats almost everyday for one hour to four hours (wired) in PC and will use the new one wired also. so i think the battery of the new one will last long enough for me until there'll be any battery solution available. I'm a PC hardware and electronic technician, I have already disassemble my old beats couple of times just to see what's inside, I think I'll be able to replace the battery when it will be available. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #95 of 121
You can't upload pictures until you have more than 10 posts I think.

Probably not. The new design's earcups are covered with a silicone cover on the back, which are impossible to reinstall after you take them off. The headband is also really tricky to put back together. I took it apart one, never again. The headband cushion is now loose along the edge.

I think the New Beats Studio has a lot less tolerance for circuit boards that weren't originally designed for it, so a new circuit may be a problem. The old Beats Studio was a cinch, because the cavity was a uniform cylinder. 

its okay i got the headphone very very cheap for the experiment, so if the battery part is done then the only concern is how to power up the bluetooth, cab you let me know how do you connect your bluetooth module to power suply? Thank you so much!

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #96 of 121
its okay i got the headphone very very cheap for the experiment, so if the battery part is done then the only concern is how to power up the bluetooth, cab you let me know how do you connect your bluetooth module to power suply? Thank you so much!

Probably i wont go for the bluetooth route now as i see there is a auto turn off feature for beatstudio headphones.  dont want to mess with it too much 

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #97 of 121

I just moved all the internals of a smaller Bluetooth headphone into the Beats. The circuit board contained the battery charging circuit and everything.

96gnjmM.jpg

GuNF6R2.jpg

Probably i wont go for the bluetooth route now as i see there is a auto turn off feature for beatstudio headphones.  dont want to mess with it too much 

So just the battery?

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #98 of 121
I just moved all the internals of a smaller Bluetooth headphone into the Beats. The circuit board contained the battery charging circuit and everything.

96gnjmM.jpg

GuNF6R2.jpg

So just the battery?

NICE! Btw do you need heat gun for open up the can? And yea I think the beats do not have a on off switch so I believe the ground of the 3.5mm input is connect to the battery/ power supply Nav- , that may explain why people not able to power up the beats with incorrect wire. So it maybe head to add the bluetooth module into it as I don't know how to wire it if it is too complicated T_T

I am still waiting for the module I oredered probably take about a week.

In the mean time I just make more post here so I can post picture later for update and discuss. But I dont believe beats will spend extra money for demo to protect resell, they shold just do some rewire and not something very complicated.

Sunny

P.S. Any one own a sol republic v8 or v10? I got a demo version online for $35, looks good to me but Im still figuring how to open the can without breaking anything. I just want to add the dettachable cable to 3.5mm as the demo one control not working. Thank you if anyone know how to do so!

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #100 of 121
quick question is there anyone know how to take off the cushion on the cup for the beats studio v2 or the wireless?
You just (carefully) pull it off. It is adhered to the ear cup using double sided foam tape.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #102 of 121
im connecting the battery module
03547fd36960d0d2d43668060922e5dc.jpg
to this power in cable ( formly connect to a dc jack ), but i cannot figure out with one is pos+ and which is neg-....and where do i connect the ground???

2b7b63a5b42c317b21ee462c985b2390.jpg

thanks

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #103 of 121
alright i got it work!

273b3cb7fada2a0eff5418dd65f248b3.jpg

new problem come up...it is not going off.............. so the noise cancellation is constantly turning on and it will drain battery of course.....maybe need to add a on off switch ...... sigh

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #104 of 121
alright i got it work!

273b3cb7fada2a0eff5418dd65f248b3.jpg

new problem come up...it is not going off.............. so the noise cancellation is constantly turning on and it will drain battery of course.....maybe need to add a on off switch ...... sigh

Nice! What does holding that button for about 3 seconds do? (The small one above the 5 LED battery indicator)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back