Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Jun 15, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,381 of 1,409

I've been reading lots of reviews and checking prices here on Head-Fi, and elsewhere, and I've finally decided to send my 4-year old DAC-2 in for the full DSDse upgrades.  W4S says the work should take 1-2 days at their end.  I've enjoyed this unit immensely over the last few years, for its transparency and connectivity, and I really wanted to keep it and upgrade it, rather than purchase something new and different.  

You will appreciate the upgrade. It really is worth the price and keep the DAC current.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,383 of 1,409

You will appreciate the upgrade. It really is worth the price and keep the DAC current.

I was thinking of trying Schiit bifrost Multibit Dac untill I knew about Monarchy M22b or M22c dac. I have read some good reviews on such old dacs. I really want to try one.

There are many ways to convert to Analog. It is fun to give each approach a try.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,384 of 1,409

I've been reading lots of reviews and checking prices here on Head-Fi, and elsewhere, and I've finally decided to send my 4-year old DAC-2 in for the full DSDse upgrades.  W4S says the work should take 1-2 days at their end.  I've enjoyed this unit immensely over the last few years, for its transparency and connectivity, and I really wanted to keep it and upgrade it, rather than purchase something new and different.  

I too will be doing this soon after a too long wait.  The only DAC's I see that I'd consider are double, triple the price.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #1,385 of 1,409
I ended up buying a used DAC2 DSDse for an unbelievably low price right before Xmas. It is beyond my expectations. Right now I'm listening to The Beatles "Abbey Road" from the 24bit USB files and I'm hearing detail I've never caught before. The bass is so much better defined.
Wyred was offering the v2 upgrade at a $200 discount so I'm going to do that as well. Plus I added the 9038Pro chip upgrade. Just waiting for the chip to arrive and then I'll send it off.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #1,386 of 1,409
  I ended up buying a used DAC2 DSDse for an unbelievably low price right before Xmas. It is beyond my expectations. Right now I'm listening to The Beatles "Abbey Road" from the 24bit USB files and I'm hearing detail I've never caught before. The bass is so much better defined.
Wyred was offering the v2 upgrade at a $200 discount so I'm going to do that as well. Plus I added the 9038Pro chip upgrade. Just waiting for the chip to arrive and then I'll send it off.

I had upgraded mine from the original Dac2 to the DSDse model. Finally moved on to the PS Audio DirectStream DSD Dac. Still, I have a soft spot for the W4S ethos. I am looking forward to your impressions of the new version!

beerchug.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,387 of 1,409
Dig this. I sent my DSDse off to Wyred for the v2 9038 chip upgrade. I had sold my DAC 2 and bought this one on eBay. I get the email from Wyred that it doesn't have the Femto Clock. So I'm adding it. What's interesting is my ears are for crap. What a blind test this was! I did notice the difference in DAC's but wow I'm stupid believing a Femto was having any bearing on this! I'm going to contact eBay in meantime and see if anything can be done (good luck there!)

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #1,388 of 1,409
Hello all

Gonna throw in to the thread here...

Now, I don't have the DAC-2, but I picked up the DAC-1 LE version with Femto clock upgrade.  

My understanding other than the preamp function the DAC-1 LE is now equivalent to the standard DAC-2 in audio quality, strictly speaking.  Or at least close, since its gets the Galvanic Isolation, upgraded USB and DSD support.  

I have been on kind of a wild ride with this thing.  For awhile things started to get a bit hairy... it was bright and sibilant after starting life a bit on the warm side.  But, things seem to have settled in.  What I believe I hear now are the hallmarks of neutrality.  Good recordings sound just absolutely amazing, but it won't hide problems with poor ones.  

Actually, I would say its neutral with just a slight tilt toward mid-range warmth.  Which is my preferred sound signature.  

I am trying to avoid the temptation for 'upgradeitis'.  Gosh, there are lots of nice DAC's out there that I would love to shrink my wallet in exchange.  But, the W4S sounds so nice, I am afraid I will regret it if I did replace it.  

If anything, I might send it in for the upgrade to the new ESS chip.  Reading the reviews of the DAC-2 in this thread have given me confidence that I made a very good choice, and should sit tight and enjoy what I have!

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #1,389 of 1,409
I have my upgraded DAC2 to DAC-2v2se and I'm letting it burn-in for 100 hours before I report back.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #1,390 of 1,409
Huge leap!! I look forward to your impressions.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #1,391 of 1,409
Wondering if you guys are having this problem with your W4S DAC2 .Since about a week now when my DAC2 is in use as soon as i start a tune on my music player(MUSICBEE) on my PC Windows 10 crashes I reinstalled the W4S driver same thing happens my Dac is basically useless .Had a tech look at it , conclusion is that the driver is due for an update its to old(2010)I contacted W4S and they say they are working on it .This is a screenshot i get when my PC crashes .
ui.PNG
is

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #1,392 of 1,409
Are you using the Creators Windows 10 update? If so you do not need a driver. It ID's Native 2 USB now. Try deleting the ASIO driver if you have the DSD version and the USB driver. Plug in the DAC and Windows should pick it up and good to go. I'm guessing that maybe there is a conflict between the update and your drivers but not sure. I removed drivers but had resultant clicking sounds in my SACD ISO files so I switched it back. I stupidly forgot to plug the DAC back in at one point and saw the same screen you have here. There is a new driver for the 10th Anniversary DAC 2 but not sure if that will work for the rest of us since it has a different board. Keep me posted.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #1,393 of 1,409
Are you using the Creators Windows 10 update? If so you do not need a driver. It ID's Native 2 USB now. Try deleting the ASIO driver if you have the DSD version and the USB driver. Plug in the DAC and Windows should pick it up and good to go. I'm guessing that maybe there is a conflict between the update and your drivers but not sure. I removed drivers but had resultant clicking sounds in my SACD ISO files so I switched it back. I stupidly forgot to plug the DAC back in at one point and saw the same screen you have here. There is a new driver for the 10th Anniversary DAC 2 but not sure if that will work for the rest of us since it has a different board. Keep me posted.
Thanks for the help i am using windows 10 home version 1703 .mine is the regular DAC2 only Wasapi works with my DAC2. i had a windows update several days ago been having problem since then .i restored my pc to before the update and DAC was working fine but Windows reinstalled the updates and problem started again meanwhile a glitsh happened and screwed up pc while trying to restore it again had a tech come over he couldnt find the problem he blamed it on outdated driver .Any help is very welcomed thanks

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,394 of 1,409
Hi Mike,
I emailed W4S about my issue and they are aware of Windows issues and will release new drivers next week. Hope that clears up your problem.

Keith

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,395 of 1,409
Hi Mike,
I emailed W4S about my issue and they are aware of Windows issues and will release new drivers next week. Hope that clears up your problem.

Keith
That's great news hope it does Thanks again Keith .Michel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back