DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 25, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #3,287 of 4,422
That's strange. As far as I know, I bought my #33 Stratus from a guy who claims to have bought his from the same guy who is selling his Stratus right now.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/donald-north-audio-dna-stratus-230v.803982/#next

The pictures in the above thread has currently been removed, but if memory serves, they were the exact same photos that are currently posted in that for sale.

Maybe that guy acquired a second Stratus, but was too lazy to take new photos and is simply rehashing photos of his old Stratus?

That's actually probable. Writing for sale ads is a PITA for me at least.

Pretty specific on the details though.

May 25, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #3,289 of 4,422
Well that's kills the discussion good.

I saw that he had multiple items up for sale and kind of suspected. You are pretty much required to put some reason for selling in an ad or you get pestered by the 'What's wrong with it?" emails.

May 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #3,290 of 4,422
It's more of an existential question to this thread: What would be an 'upgrade' to the Stratus?

Leaving the Stellaris out of the picture for a moment (but firmly leaving my fan-boy status in place) I can't imagine what an upgrade path would be.

A few things come to mind. The first is if someone were switching to stats. I'm not saying it is an upgrade but some (I think most) would consider, say a T2+HE90's an upgrade. Or a HE1.

Another option would be to go with modded HE-6's or Abyss with a big Krell or something of the likes as an amp. Again, an upgrade? Perhaps, to some.

Finally, something like a Studio I would say is technically an upgrade. It is a more technically proficient amp than the Stratus. I find it less enjoyable with, for example, HD800's, but that is a preference thing. Use modded HD650's on a Studio or Abyss, however...

May 25, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,291 of 4,422
A few things come to mind. The first is if someone were switching to stats. I'm not saying it is an upgrade but some (I think most) would consider, say a T2+HE90's an upgrade. Or a HE1.

Another option would be to go with modded HE-6's or Abyss with a big Krell or something of the likes as an amp. Again, an upgrade? Perhaps, to some.

Finally, something like a Studio I would say is technically an upgrade. It is a more technically proficient amp than the Stratus. I find it less enjoyable with, for example, HD800's, but that is a preference thing. Use modded HD650's on a Studio or Abyss, however...

What ultimately made you choose a Stellaris over the Studio?

May 25, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,292 of 4,422
I was on the first list of 20 for the Studio. I like change so I thought EC would likely make something well worth a listen so I put my name in the hat.

THEN Donald announced the Stellaris. I don't know if you recall but I did a little write up of the amp, which was called the Solaris and there was going to be a sister amp: the 20A. If North was making a new statement amp I had to have it being a long time Stratus owner/fanboy.

I didn't want two mega bucks amps at the time so I backed out of the Studio: having not heard either at this point. Now, two years later I've spent quite a few hours with both at home and, for me, the Stellaris was the right choice: they are both marvellously technically proficient amps but the Stellaris has that magical tube something that gets my toe tapping and the Studio doesn't. The Studio, truthfully to me, sounds like the best solid state amp you could ever imagine - in that regard it is near perfect. The soundstage on the Studio is massive and that combined with the grip and control it has (having 4 2A3's) really plays to the strengths of something like the Abyss or HD650 - both headphones that do well with a detailed source, and neither need any additional warmth or life.

At the end of the day, I'm an HD800 guy. There are HD650 guys, there are HE6 guys, there are Abyss guys. But I'm an HD800 guy and, to my ears, there is no amp that equals, much less bests, the Stellaris when it comes to the HD800's (and Utopias): at least none that I've heard.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,294 of 4,422
A bit strange indeed. I wanted to buy the Chord Dave from him, after sending him the payment he refunded the next day claiming it was was defective(the display does not light on because of a loose wire) and needs to go back to chord. Fair enough but the next day after he bumped the thread and lowered the price. Even more peculiar he is selling the Dave because he wants to get the Blue MK2 which as far as I know only works with Dave. Not trying to bash or anything but that's my experience.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,296 of 4,422
Just got the WE275 and I have to say I am quite pleased with what I am hearing. Together with the 422A they area very musical and expansive . Clear yet smooth is what comes to mind. I'm not sure sure it surpasses the KR2A3 but compared to it vocals seem better, more detailed but a bit less dynamic.I'm happy there are so many current production tubes that sound so good. I'm still keen on trying the RCA single plate and AVVT at some point.

The Stratus will have it's biggest test yet as I should get the Dave this week and I will finally get to hear just the sound of the DAC. With all this tube rolling I don't know what reference sounds like anymore. I can easily find a tube combination that I enjoy but I'm curios how far I've strayed from the norm.
I also have a ZMF Eikon on order and I have a feeling it will be a great hit with the 120 ohm output of the Stratus.

Congratulation's on the WE's. They're a favorite of mine and also sound great with the EML5u4g. You might consider the Sophia Carbon 300b's since their current production tubes as well. The two ended my search for the best sounding power tubes.

By the way, did you get the Dave? If so, what's your impression's so far.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #3,297 of 4,422
Not to accuse the seller of anything, but a sure-fire way to ensure the sale is legit is to ask him for a photo of the S/N label of the Stratus located at the rear, taken along with a piece of paper that has his ID as seller, your ID as buyer, and the current date written on it. The S/N should not be #33 as that's the unit I currently own. I use this method often, and while I do apologize the seller for the inconvenience, most sellers who are eager to sell their goods usually tend to play along. For those who suddenly go radio silent after I make this request and never reply back to me again, I assume they are scammers.

May 28, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #3,298 of 4,422
I was on the first list of 20 for the Studio. I like change so I thought EC would likely make something well worth a listen so I put my name in the hat.

THEN Donald announced the Stellaris. I don't know if you recall but I did a little write up of the amp, which was called the Solaris and there was going to be a sister amp: the 20A. If North was making a new statement amp I had to have it being a long time Stratus owner/fanboy.

I didn't want two mega bucks amps at the time so I backed out of the Studio: having not heard either at this point. Now, two years later I've spent quite a few hours with both at home and, for me, the Stellaris was the right choice: they are both marvellously technically proficient amps but the Stellaris has that magical tube something that gets my toe tapping and the Studio doesn't. The Studio, truthfully to me, sounds like the best solid state amp you could ever imagine - in that regard it is near perfect. The soundstage on the Studio is massive and that combined with the grip and control it has (having 4 2A3's) really plays to the strengths of something like the Abyss or HD650 - both headphones that do well with a detailed source, and neither need any additional warmth or life.

At the end of the day, I'm an HD800 guy. There are HD650 guys, there are HE6 guys, there are Abyss guys. But I'm an HD800 guy and, to my ears, there is no amp that equals, much less bests, the Stellaris when it comes to the HD800's (and Utopias): at least none that I've heard.

I wonder how the new Woo WA33 stacks up in terms of a potential upgrade? Looks fantastic on paper and looks pretty impressive from the photos I've seen. Price looks to be competitive vs stellaris or studio?

May 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #3,299 of 4,422
I wonder how the new Woo WA33 stacks up in terms of a potential upgrade? Looks fantastic on paper and looks pretty impressive from the photos I've seen. Price looks to be competitive vs stellaris or studio?

I have ZERO interest in it personally. I've had the WE234 at home on loan (Takatsuki 300B and I can't recall the other tube) and that was not an upgrade over either the Stellaris or Studio. I personally found it less resolving, less natural and less dynamic than either option. The Woo house 'bloom' was still present, though it is a much better amp that the WA5. The WA33 is likely a step down from the 234, but above the WA5. I guess I see Woo as such a poor value I tend to ignore them now.

It comes in a very nice looking box, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back