DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #3,271 of 4,358
Just got the WE275 and I have to say I am quite pleased with what I am hearing. Together with the 422A they area very musical and expansive . Clear yet smooth is what comes to mind. I'm not sure sure it surpasses the KR2A3 but compared to it vocals seem better, more detailed but a bit less dynamic.I'm happy there are so many current production tubes that sound so good. I'm still keen on trying the RCA single plate and AVVT at some point.

The Stratus will have it's biggest test yet as I should get the Dave this week and I will finally get to hear just the sound of the DAC. With all this tube rolling I don't know what reference sounds like anymore. I can easily find a tube combination that I enjoy but I'm curios how far I've strayed from the norm.
I also have a ZMF Eikon on order and I have a feeling it will be a great hit with the 120 ohm output of the Stratus.
DSC03593.JPG

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #3,273 of 4,358
Just got the WE275 and I have to say I am quite pleased with what I am hearing. Together with the 422A they area very musical and expansive . Clear yet smooth is what comes to mind. I'm not sure sure it surpasses the KR2A3 but compared to it vocals seem better, more detailed but a bit less dynamic.I'm happy there are so many current production tubes that sound so good. I'm still keen on trying the RCA single plate and AVVT at some point.

The Stratus will have it's biggest test yet as I should get the Dave this week and I will finally get to hear just the sound of the DAC. With all this tube rolling I don't know what reference sounds like anymore. I can easily find a tube combination that I enjoy but I'm curios how far I've strayed from the norm.
I also have a ZMF Eikon on order and I have a feeling it will be a great hit with the 120 ohm output of the Stratus.

Congrats!! The DAVE is a wonderful DAC.

IMG_0610.jpg

May 22, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,275 of 4,358
In that photo stock. Today... Stock...

I am flip flopping between Sophia Princess Carbon's, EML Mesh and Sylvania spring tops. The Mesh is probably the least likely option, however, and the Syl's the most likely. I've since eliminated AVVT mesh, RCA mono and dual black plates, VT-95's and the WE275's from the list of potentials.

May 24, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,280 of 4,358

6N1P%20wide2.jpg
I found a few of the above after I removed the sticker tape from a Pearl Cryo. They look to be the same tube, minus Pearl's gold and cryo treatment. My Pearl still work's so I have had a chance to listen to both. The Pearl has some quality's that this tube can't match for sure. With the Pearl the bass is fuller, the high's extend further, without being overly trebly. Definition and texture are the best I have heard from any 6n1p. Everything sound's right with that tube. For the cost it should as I paid around $160 for a pair.

The 6n1 type above has been in use for six month's now and sound's great. I bought a few of these and after some experimenting found one I really like. I cleaned the pin's afterwards and have been really satisfied with the result's. There's no grain, and I would describe the sound as neutral or balanced. The more neutral the better I think. Of the 6n1p's this is my choice. It may or may not be relevant but I have the HD800's. There is a box plate that I have been told sound's great with planar headphones but I have no way of testing this. It's also becoming rare to find I am told.

Maybe one day Pearl will get back to the 6n1p. I wouldn't count on it though. Maybe some email request's couldn't hurt. Until then I suggest giving this tube a shot. Some like the 6n1p-ev so I suggest trying a few of both. I still prefer the single support over the dual with the Stratus. This tube has the rocket logo, and star like the above.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #3,284 of 4,358
Stratus for sale in Europe:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/fs-dna-stratus-europe-230v.850938/

Owner states he is upgrading, wonder what to?

That's strange. As far as I know, I bought my #33 Stratus from a guy who claims to have bought his from the same guy who is selling his Stratus right now.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/donald-north-audio-dna-stratus-230v.803982/#next

The pictures in the above thread has currently been removed, but if memory serves, they were the exact same photos that are currently posted in that for sale.

Maybe that guy acquired a second Stratus, but was too lazy to take new photos and is simply rehashing photos of his old Stratus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back