Designing a microspeaker

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions' started by ThePCWizard, May 8, 2017.

1. ThePCWizard
    Hello,

for the past year i've been designing some microspeakers on and off in the Onshape CAD software. And now I'm interested in building said design.

Screenshot 2017-05-08 at 12.54.17 PM.png

I know it's best to use a single magnet, however getting one custom made is costly, and just one magnet would cost me around $70 so I'm going to go the cheap route (as this is mostly a personal experiment) and will be opting for 20 individual neodymium magnets with a diameter of 7mm and a thickness of 2mm. But I digress.

I have been considering using aluminum foil, with a cling wrap backside as my diaphragm, but I'd like your input on the matter, what diaphragm material would be ideal for a project such as this?

2. CoffeeCutie
    I wonder how this project is going? I used (electrostatic) film, 6 micron, (which can be bought on ebay by the roll from one particular seller) to re-diaphragm a small dynamic driver. This being said, it sounded terrible. :triportsad: :ksc75smile:

I am investigating the feasibility of a few dynamic diaphragm processes: "press+heat molding" material into the correct shape, injection mold, and 3d printing ninjaflex/TPU material as thin as possible. Using dual extrusion + dissolvable support could be a cool way to keep TPU layers thin. :)

Note, because of the issues manufacturing accurate diaphragm without mass production tools in the traditional ways, there seems to be more leeway in designing + building an electrostatic driver. A bit less leeway in a planar. then [much] less in creating a dynamic.... But that just means more people need to try! :thumbsup: