Denver Spring Meet 2017 - May 20th
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #31 of 100
I'll be bringing an A5. I've grown to really appreciate it for the $.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #32 of 100
   I'm gonna try and make it to the event. Really would like some advice on an amp and headphones to go with my IBasso DX200. (The DX200 has a 3.5mm single ended output, 3.5mm line out, Digital Optical out, and a 2.5mm balanced output) So far I only have been using the Optical output in my car, but I've heard the balanced output is the way to go for headphones.

Would love to hear a few headphone set ups and get some advice from people in the know. :)

P.S. (I bought the DX200 to use in my car audio set up, it sounds wonderful hooked into my Helix DSP Pro via a Vodka Digital Optical cable)
Anybody wanting a car audio demo will be served. It's a pretty good one. :)

Sound great! Look forward to seeing you there.

as for balanced vs SE. A good set of SE headphones will trounce a bad pair of balanced headphones. Get what sounds good to you. Having balanced output just opens the door of you to spend more money on cables and adapters. You may or may not hear any difference between them based not he music and headphones. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #34 of 100
Do any of you have any of ibasso/fiio's DAPs? I'm looking to buy a replacement for my iPod, but I'd like to try a few out before I throw down my $$.

I have the Fiio X5 series 1, 2, and recently 3. I was going to bring the X5III as the latest and greatest in the series (or so some say). It would not be too hard to drag the other two along if anyone wants to listen.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #35 of 100
Do any of you have any of ibasso/fiio's DAPs? I'm looking to buy a replacement for my iPod, but I'd like to try a few out before I throw down my $$.

Yes sir, i have the IBasso DX80 & DX200 and will bring them along. The DX200 has blown me away. However, I'm a newbie to the DAP world and want to see what else is out there.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #36 of 100
Very nice. I hope someone brings some X00's I've always wanted to give those a shot.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #37 of 100
I will definitely try to be there! I don't have much but can bring:

Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon 2.0
Burson Audio Conductor V1 w/ 9018

Focal Elear
Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart (modded with removable cable/balanced xlr)
Beyerdynamic Dt880

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #38 of 100
  20th looks good to me! here's what I will bring:

1. Focal Utopia
  2. MrSpeakers Ether-C 
  3. Audio Zenith PMx2
  4. Koss ESP/950 w/custom pads
  5. Fostex TH900 MkII
  6. Sennheiser HD800 with SuperDupont Resonator mod
  7. Sennheiser HD650 with all sorts of mods (might be selling this one)
  8. AURALiC TAURUS MKII
  9. Black Bimby

Wow, there is so much that I have been wanting to hear!  I've been looking at getting both (one now and one much later)  the HD800 with SDR and TH900 MkII but I might wait until after the 20th now. 

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #39 of 100
Slight hiccup for me, Intel Lanfest announced their dates as weekend of the 20th. A large group of friends and I go every year. May miss some of this but will try to escape to visit.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #40 of 100
I've heard the balanced output is the way to go for headphones.

Would love to hear a few headphone set ups and get some advice from people in the know. :)

It is, but like with noise cancelling, don't expect transfornative miracles. Still, it's often an ipod -> sansa clip scale improvement. Do you know how to make a balanced cable, or reterminate a headphone to become balanced?

I'm So far I only have been using the Optical output in my car, but I've heard the balanced output is the way to go for headphones.

P.S. (I bought the DX200 to use in my car audio set up, it sounds wonderful hooked into my Helix DSP Pro via a Vodka Digital Optical cable)

Anybody wanting a car audio demo will be served. It's a pretty good one. :)

I have a strong suspicion that better optical cables make a difference, but i haven't read anything definitive or really experimented with it. Maybe it only matters at really high bitrates, or cheap cables are so good it hardly makes a difference, I dunno. But I promise the companies laying transatlantic cables sure as hell will :p

The player you use really doesn't make a difference, however. One optical out--one digital out of any kind, really--is exactly like another. It's the DAC you're plugging into that matters. If I had to guess, I'd say you're probably underutilizing your DX200:wink:

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #43 of 100
It is, but like with noise cancelling, don't expect transfornative miracles. Still, it's often an ipod -> sansa clip scale improvement. Do you know how to make a balanced cable, or reterminate a headphone to become balanced?
I have a strong suspicion that better optical cables make a difference, but i haven't read anything definitive or really experimented with it. Maybe it only matters at really high bitrates, or cheap cables are so good it hardly makes a difference, I dunno. But I promise the companies laying transatlantic cables sure as hell will :p

The player you use really doesn't make a difference, however. One optical out--one digital out of any kind, really--is exactly like another. It's the DAC you're plugging into that matters. If I had to guess, I'd say you're probably underutilizing your DX200:wink:

I'm a total newb to the higher end headphone experience, so I have zero experience making cables.

Originally had a different brand optical cable but the head of it snapped off. It gets below zero in the mountains where I am and the cable gets removed and plugged in repeatedly. So I bought the Vodka cable because it's braided and the connector is very strong, so hopefully it won't snap off. So far so good on that.

As far as the player not making a difference, you would think that huh ?  It is not the case in practice however. The DX80 was my original DAP, I used it for about nine months before upgrading to the DX200. Both the DX80 and the DX200 have the mini optical output. I am able to simply unplug one and plug the other in on the same cable without changing any other settings on my system or touching anything else. Running both with no EQ enabled, gain set to high, and the same fast filter settings on, there is a noticeable difference. The DX200 has better sounding highs and the DX80 has way more midbass. I don't pretend to know why but can clearly hear the difference. Go figure ?

My DX200 gets plenty of use, every single time I drive and lately it's been being used at work too. We have a decent stereo at my shop and can rock out in there so it's expanded beyond it's original purpose as my vehicular audio player now. Still haven't used the android system much though, just rocking the Mango player mostly. One thing is for sure, I enjoy the hell out of my IBasso DX200 - it's awesome. :)

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #44 of 100

I'm a total newb to the higher end headphone experience, so I have zero experience making cables.

Originally had a different brand optical cable but the head of it snapped off. It gets below zero in the mountains where I am and the cable gets removed and plugged in repeatedly. So I bought the Vodka cable because it's braided and the connector is very strong, so hopefully it won't snap off. So far so good on that.

As far as the player not making a difference, you would think that huh ?  It is not the case in practice however. The DX80 was my original DAP, I used it for about nine months before upgrading to the DX200. Both the DX80 and the DX200 have the mini optical output. I am able to simply unplug one and plug the other in on the same cable without changing any other settings on my system or touching anything else. Running both with no EQ enabled, gain set to high, and the same fast filter settings on, there is a noticeable difference. The DX200 has better sounding highs and the DX80 has way more midbass. I don't pretend to know why but can clearly hear the difference. Go figure ?

My DX200 gets plenty of use, every single time I drive and lately it's been being used at work too. We have a decent stereo at my shop and can rock out in there so it's expanded beyond it's original purpose as my vehicular audio player now. Still haven't used the android system much though, just rocking the Mango player mostly. One thing is for sure, I enjoy the hell out of my IBasso DX200 - it's awesome. :)

Different DAC chips and implementations, among other differences

DX200: Dual SABRE ES9028PRO DAC Chips
DX80: Dual CIRRUS CS4398 DAC Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back