Denon AH-DXXX/Fostex TH-XXX Open Back Cups
Jun 25, 2017 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Felix Lemire

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

I thought It could be interesting to share the new mod I did for my Denon AH-D2000. My father recently got a 3D printer so I've decided to 3D print open back cups from clear orange PLA plastic I had laying around. I've printed with the draft setting (fastest/roughest print). I take for granted that they can fit all Denon AH-DXXX/Fostex TH-XXX series of headphones. Maybe someone can confirm that. Anyway, here's the result:

35369588602_a9fda3de20_c.jpg

35497750956_1ff5c5ac8c_c.jpg

35406586581_84c7a0231b_c.jpg

And for the sound, it's about the same as having no cups. To me it sounds like it loses some instrument separation/definition as a trade off for a more echo sound that makes songs feel more like a live performance. The sub bass and highs sound pretty much the same to my ears. Although the bass bleeds in the mids by a fair amount compared the stock cups, the mids are brought forward a bit. Singers voices seem more present and more alive. With the stock cups, the sound felt more precise and sharp but also felt a bit too analytical or even too ''digital''.

I don't have the best experience or knowledge to analyse headphone sounds but this is what I felt. If you want to be a better judge you only have to remove the stock cups to listen if you like the sound or not. The A/B test is pretty easy to do with the cups unscrewed.

Final thoughts:
I like it! I think they are very fun to listen to. I wouldn't mix with them but for a fun home listening it's a great mod!

p.s. I have the ZMF Ori Pads on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back