Decent/Affordable Computer Audio
May 23, 2017 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

O.D

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get some new computer speakers pretty soon. I appreciate good audio but I don't need anything crazy at the moment.

Right now I have these:

https://www.amazon.com/Insignia-NS-...12&sr=8-7&keywords=computer+speakers+insignia

I have been very happy with these, only now after like 5 years I have to adjust the cord a certain way to get both speakers to play. For the past 2 years I've thought to myself "these could go anytime"...yet I still have them. Just wanting to be prepared for the future.

These IMO have surprisingly good sound stage for the price. When I got them I believe they were 60. I'm not looking to spend much more than 100. Just something clean sounding. Something good/decent...with or without a sub...I guess speakers with a sub would be ideal but I'm open to other ideas. However, I need something with bass control on the sub itself. I find the speakers I have now do everything I want and respond well to vocals. They have a "spread out" feeling. A nice sound stage, which is important to me.

Thanks

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm looking to get some new computer speakers pretty soon. I appreciate good audio but I don't need anything crazy at the moment.

Right now I have these:

https://www.amazon.com/Insignia-NS-...12&sr=8-7&keywords=computer+speakers+insignia

I have been very happy with these, only now after like 5 years I have to adjust the cord a certain way to get both speakers to play. For the past 2 years I've thought to myself "these could go anytime"...yet I still have them. Just wanting to be prepared for the future.

These IMO have surprisingly good sound stage for the price. When I got them I believe they were 60. I'm not looking to spend much more than 100. Just something clean sounding. Something good/decent...with or without a sub...I guess speakers with a sub would be ideal but I'm open to other ideas. However, I need something with bass control on the sub itself. I find the speakers I have now do everything I want and respond well to vocals. They have a "spread out" feeling. A nice sound stage, which is important to me.

Thanks

Look into the HiVi S3W i you really want it cheap and can go with imaging more than bass.

Otherwise there's also the HiVi D1010 and Edifier R1700.

May 24, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the reccomendations.

Those edifers look nice protege. 150 for both? not a bad price at all.

What are your thoughts bass impact of having a separate sub vs not having one. Can those provide a good amount of bass?

May 25, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 9
Those edifers look nice protege. 150 for both? not a bad price at all.

The HiVi D1010 is $120 I think; D1080 is $150. The Edifier E10BT can go for around $100, the R1700 goes as low as $100 for the older, non-BT version if you can find it.

What are your thoughts bass impact of having a separate sub vs not having one. Can those provide a good amount of bass?

Depends on what you're willing to compromise on. If you're expecting anything like a ghetto Escalade with Audiobahn woofaz blasting Lil Jon that you can hear from six blocks away, then absolutely not. Not even anything close to, say, a Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage or Focal Stella Utopia kicking you in the chest with AC/DC's bass drums.

That said, I had the D1080MkII 08 before and I can take a shower in the bath across the hall from my room, and with the shower running I can feel the bass rattling the interior wooden walls when I play house (ie, Late Night Alumni and such). Not sure if the concrete exterior walls of the house helps with sealing the bass inside the house.

I'm using a cheap pair of $10 USB powered speakers on my desk at home with my laptop, the Sonic Gear Quattro II, and the passive radiators spit out enough bass. Putting them on a shelf reinforces the bass resonance but the wires are a PITA to use if I put t hem in the shelves on the desk behind the laptop. Aim them properly to reduce treble and midrange glare and I'm happy enough with the bass, but of course these are $10 USB-powered speakers with passive rads. Still sounds better than other brands (Logitech, etc) at this price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back