Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Apr 8, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,291 of 14,501
Is anyone else's DV336SE sort of touchy about how you plug the headphones in??

every now and again I have to pull the 1/4" jack out and plug it back in to get the right channel... anyone else find the 1/4" jack to be sort of touchy??

I did try cleaning the 1/4" jack with some deoxit ... I thought that had worked for a couple days but now it just happened again when trying to plug my dt770's in...

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,292 of 14,501
  Is anyone else's DV336SE sort of touchy about how you plug the headphones in??

every now and again I have to pull the 1/4" jack out and plug it back in to get the right channel... anyone else find the 1/4" jack to be sort of touchy??

I did try cleaning the 1/4" jack with some deoxit ... I thought that had worked for a couple days but now it just happened again when trying to plug my dt770's in...

I never had much of an issue with that. I did have the left channel cut out on me, but it was due to my DAC being strange.

Keep us updated on that.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #1,293 of 14,501

I never had much of an issue with that. I did have the left channel cut out on me, but it was due to my DAC being strange.

Keep us updated on that.

yeah.. will do.. cleaned the jack again with deoxit .. working for the time being .. tried unplugging /plugging headphones in 1/2 dozen times .. so far no right channel issues again..

I don't know maybe the jack is / was just a bit dirty??

If it starts acting up I may open the amp up and checking the soldering work on the jack??

Oh I guess I can add... I never have a issue with it dropping the right channel when using the rca line outs..   just sometimes (frequently) when plugging headphones in have to unplug them and sort of rotate the plug when plugging it in to get the right channel... once the channel is up, it stays up for the rest of the session..but it is temperamental as heck when plugging headphones in..

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,294 of 14,501
hmm.. I am thinking it is something to do with dirty contacts inside the jack... cleaned the jack again with deoxit (sprayed some onto a 1/4" adapter and plugged that into the dv (while powered off) and rotated it around in the jack.. let it stay there over night..

so far ... today the issue hasn't occurred.. both channels coming on correctly when hooking headphones up without having to futz with it trying to get the right channel...

hopefully the more intense cleaning of the jack will resolve the issue ??? not sure yet.. but so far it is working as it should for now..

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #1,295 of 14,501
sometimes one channel dies out on mine when plugging headphones but it is because of the RCA cable connection at the back and not the headphone pot, I just play with the cables at the back and viola (loose connection)

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #1,296 of 14,501
  hmm.. I am thinking it is something to do with dirty contacts inside the jack... cleaned the jack again with deoxit (sprayed some onto a 1/4" adapter and plugged that into the dv (while powered off) and rotated it around in the jack.. let it stay there over night..

so far ... today the issue hasn't occurred.. both channels coming on correctly when hooking headphones up without having to futz with it trying to get the right channel...

hopefully the more intense cleaning of the jack will resolve the issue ??? not sure yet.. but so far it is working as it should for now..

Interesting issue. Obviously just be careful with liquids and electricity 
popcorn.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #1,297 of 14,501

Interesting issue. Obviously just be careful with liquids and electricity 
popcorn.gif

I got you.. the deoxit is made for cleaning electronics /volume pots jack..etc

some people say to let it dry overnight some say 10minutes or so... I have always gone w/ the 10 minutes messing about with many old amps / receivers no problems with it at all.

after clean the headphone jack the 2nd time ..so far /touch wood .... so good the right channel hasn't be wonky with the headphones.. I know in my case it isn't the rca in plugs because the issue doesn't happen with the pre outs ..

if it starts happening again... I'll clean the jack one more time and after that I'll probably open the thing up and see if there is solder issues with the jack..

but few days now so good

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #1,301 of 14,501
ugh this darkvoice of mine started doing the right channel drop again.. just with headphones not with line out.. today again..    it is ticking me off,  I cleaned the jack again.. and now it is working again for the moment .. but I'm sensing opening this amp up to try to figure out what is going on coming...

I really shouldn't have to be using contact cleaner on this jack every 3 days..

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #1,302 of 14,501

I minimize noise by using this below picture.
The end part of rca cables was covered by alu tape and the tape contact to the ring of rca jack.
Mostly zero noise at maximum gain when nothing connect to 3.5mm poles of the cable. The cable was 1.5m long and put on wall or ground.... any surface.
Not zero noise but much much better than before implement the tape.

Is this just a shielding thing, or does the tape help increase the connection at the plug / socket end of the cable to the DV? It's left me a bit confused .....

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #1,303 of 14,501
  ugh this darkvoice of mine started doing the right channel drop again.. just with headphones not with line out.. today again..    it is ticking me off,  I cleaned the jack again.. and now it is working again for the moment .. but I'm sensing opening this amp up to try to figure out what is going on coming...

I really shouldn't have to be using contact cleaner on this jack every 3 days..

Damn man, sorry to hear this is a constant problem. My DV has been sitting quiet and cool lately, haven't had much time to sit and listen to music so my Jotenheim has been getting all the attention lately..

Unplug it, leave it sit for a couple minutes and crack her open to see if the connection is bad. I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to swap out a new 1/4" jack, but that does depend on your skill level. 

Keep the updates coming, hope you can figure it out. Sounds like you know what the issue is, hopefully its just the connector and not something else.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #1,304 of 14,501

Damn man, sorry to hear this is a constant problem. My DV has been sitting quiet and cool lately, haven't had much time to sit and listen to music so my Jotenheim has been getting all the attention lately..

Unplug it, leave it sit for a couple minutes and crack her open to see if the connection is bad. I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to swap out a new 1/4" jack, but that does depend on your skill level. 

Keep the updates coming, hope you can figure it out. Sounds like you know what the issue is, hopefully its just the connector and not something else.

will do... so i cleaned the jack.. a few times now with the dexoit..  I will admit I'm afraid of jinxing myself ..  since the last time I cleaned the jack nearly a week ago.. the DV has been behaving with both channels again.

I'm going on vac shortly so if I have to open this thing up it will be in a couple weeks ...because I have too much work / stuff to do before leaving..    but yeah if it does start up hopefully it is something not too problematic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back