Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 5, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #8,702 of 12,335
That is a great looking amp![/QUOT

Thanks Hawk. I have been offered right at $750 each excluding parts to build a couple more of these but I am not sure I want to take it on just yet and I would have to pay someone to make the cabinet and figure in about 20 hours of build time for myself.

Jun 5, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #8,703 of 12,335
I'm guessing that it can't be painted after the build is complete.

It would take a whole lot of masking but it could be done. One I built stock is starting to rust as well and I have only had it for a month and a half, it did sit in someones closet as a kit for over a year though.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #8,705 of 12,335
Yeah I may well do that, thanks for the advice. I have to figure out where to put the badge now, I might be able to center it on the front plate. Once I get the shiny copper plates in this wooden box the appearance should be nicer, I hope to use just a golden oak finish on the one I keep with these copper plates. This finish was supposed to be golden but looked more on the brown side.

Jun 5, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #8,708 of 12,335
IMG_1947.JPG Sockets and all! JK
One final touch, the badge.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #8,709 of 12,335
ok I am now trying some NOS RCA 6AS7G"s and I am suitably impressed. I will have to start comparing other tubes to these soon lol.

I do have two Speedball upgrades to add to my two Crack amps but I am really starting to wonder how much of an improvement they might make. Using the preamp out on a Valhalla 2 and listening to some binaural plus music that I know well, I am so pleased with the sound that I feel any improvement might be very slight. All of my cabling is top notch as are my source files, tubes, etc. I have probably reached a point of diminishing returns but I will try the speedball on one amp and compare them all the same.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #8,710 of 12,335
toooob.jpg
I'm using this 6080WA and a Sylvania 6SN7W (using an adapter) without speedball and everything else is stock. Using it for a while to make sure it continues to work well before installing the speedball. This amp sounds great as it is. I'm also wondering how much better this can sound after the speedball is added.

Paladin, really nice that you have a couple amps that you are comparing and sharing with us here. Interested in your comparisons of stock 6080, your 6AS7G, and 5998.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #8,711 of 12,335
This weekend I have a friend coming in who has exceptional hearing, I am anxious to get her thoughts on the two amps and which tubes she likes better. I will install a speed ball in one and do some testing side by side. I do own a few o'scopes and signal generators so some of my tests are more serious than others.
i do have a Chatham 6080WA I like and to me it is as good or better than the Tung Sol 5998 but the RCa 6AS7G's are pretty amazing IMHO.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #8,712 of 12,335
Amp is now complete and working. The VU meter lights are not as bright as they appear in the photo, I still have to tweek them a bit. With all of the work I have done on the copper plates I was not getting a real good ground yesterday but it took all of ten minutes to remedy that today. This sounds every bit as good as my stock Crack amp and perhaps a bit better with shielded cable.

Adding separate pots and VU meters did nothing to affect the sound IMHO. Running the amp off of preamp out on a Valhalla 2 amp so tubes throughout, I love the sound. Right now using a Tung Sol 5998 and GE 12AU7 cause it was handy. Front dual volume controls and no cables showing except for the headphone cable, jack is mounted on the right side of the cabinet. Now I am on to turning a second Crack into something similar,

Tom

I really like the finished look of your amp beautiful,Congrats!

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #8,714 of 12,335
I really like the finished look of your amp beautiful,Congrats!

Thanks and it is good to see you got your preamp done. I am very familiar with the VU meters now if you ever need help. I ended up using 15k current limiting resistors and now they are perfectly matched for the Crack amp. I have a few wires to shorten and a power supply for the meters to incorporate inside the box and then i will start testing the speedball in the other amp to see what change it makes. There is a good chance i will be building more of these for folks who liked the layout. (not selling them on here of course, just family and friends mostly.)

Jun 8, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #8,715 of 12,335
Thanks and it is good to see you got your preamp done. I am very familiar with the VU meters now if you ever need help. I ended up using 15k current limiting resistors and now they are perfectly matched for the Crack amp. I have a few wires to shorten and a power supply for the meters to incorporate inside the box and then i will start testing the speedball in the other amp to see what change it makes. There is a good chance i will be building more of these for folks who liked the layout. (not selling them on here of course, just family and friends mostly.)

I will PM you when i'am ready for my next build,THANKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back