Cowon Plenue P1
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #2,701 of 2,974
If you paid $300 (reading your description) and batterylife is still good, than you had an amazing deal imo :thumbsup:
Don't forget that this was a $1K dap when it was launched. I paid around $700 for mine when it was only a few weeks old and have never regretted it for a second.

I think for full size headphones it's probably the best to use this dap with a good amp (I also used it a lot optical with the Hugo when I had that one) using the P1 line/optical out. I also had the LCD2.2 (also non fazor) for quite some time, but always(!) used an extra amp with that one when I listened from a portable dap. But when I had the LCD, I didn't have the P1 yet, so don't know how they will match for sure. Nowadays I only use the P1 with iems (for my headphones I usually grab for the even more powerful LPG) and I still think it's hard to beat in the sq department using its JetEffect EQ.

Regarding the X5: I also still have a X5 gen 1, but I always have than one stacked up with a Headstage Arrow 5P (most of the time connected to my stereo in the livingroom). The X5 has a pretty good DAC inside, but not such a good amp (lots of hiss). Connecting X5 (line out) to the Arrow gives great sq, also better than Cayin C5 (which I also have, but hardly use these days)

Well, long story short: imo P1 ain't a good player...no sir, it's a fantastic player!!! :)
Truth be told, i knew nothing at all about this player before seeing it on the shelf. The price caught my eye, which had me do some quick research - following that, it seemed good enough to give it a go (24 hour return policy included..). So far in use the battery seems solid, but i would really have to give it a workover to see. Otherwise it really is in remarkable condition - just a scuff by the power button, and minor nicks on the top bevel. I absolutely love the weight and looks; the one piece construction is the definition of sexy; also a fan of the hardware music buttons.

This afternoon, i will try piggybacking the C5, and test out my LCD's (actually in both configurations, with and without AMP). Ironically, while you like it, i was not a fan of the X5. Aside from the horrible control wheel, the audio just felt flat to me; my v20 easily exceeded it. So far, the P1 i think is matching my v20, but i have also yet to find my perfect jet setting (that, and i have been using my backup cans, which doesn't help)..

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #2,702 of 2,974
My concerns are this: Is $300 too much for this player (again, a few scratches, but cosmetic, and a perfect screen), given that new models have come out? And even if its a good value, am i nuts for pairing it with the cans I have (especially since i have no other desktop DAP or anything else).

I spent about $700 on the P1 ~ a year ago. If you're into flavor of the week then this isn't the new kid obviously. If I didn't already have a P1 I would snap one up for $300 in a heart beat. Even if you had to ship it back to Cowon to have the battery replaced it would still be worth it IMO (I'm assuming they would do that if someone asked). I've run my P1 with Audeze LCD-XC. They may be easier to drive than the LCD 2? I was really happy with that result. I've also run them with the Utopia and Denon D5000. Since there are new models but Cowon switched DACs at some point maybe there will be nostalgia for the P1? I've always heard these described as warmer more analog sounding and the only thing I think I remember reading about the new DAC was that it was more neutral? Anyways I haven't heard it so I don't know what I'm talking about. But I would say if I was looking for a DAP and found a P1 for $300 it's a no brainer instant buy for me.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,703 of 2,974
I spent about $700 on the P1 ~ a year ago. If you're into flavor of the week then this isn't the new kid obviously. If I didn't already have a P1 I would snap one up for $300 in a heart beat. Even if you had to ship it back to Cowon to have the battery replaced it would still be worth it IMO (I'm assuming they would do that if someone asked). I've run my P1 with Audeze LCD-XC. They may be easier to drive than the LCD 2? I was really happy with that result. I've also run them with the Utopia and Denon D5000. Since there are new models but Cowon switched DACs at some point maybe there will be nostalgia for the P1? I've always heard these described as warmer more analog sounding and the only thing I think I remember reading about the new DAC was that it was more neutral? Anyways I haven't heard it so I don't know what I'm talking about. But I would say if I was looking for a DAP and found a P1 for $300 it's a no brainer instant buy for me.

You are not missing out much getting or having a different DAP. The P1 is a great DAP. The largest sound improvements are the EQ on the Cowon's and AMPS and headphones in general audio. All else is a slight marginal gain but you will pay through the nose to achieve it.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,704 of 2,974
Well, i played with it some more, and i feel good keeping it. It is a solid little player, and i admit it is nice not having to crush my phone's battery as a DAP. The quality sounds rock solid, and pairs nicely with my C5 amp (which has more than enough umph to move my LCD's). Still trying to decide what i like on the EQ settings, but i am happy to have too much choice, instead of too little.

I do admit i am glad to hear others would have jumped on the unit at the price. I guess it would be a double whammy to buy something i wasn't sure about, AND over pay for it..

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #2,705 of 2,974
I do admit i am glad to hear others would have jumped on the unit at the price. I guess it would be a double whammy to buy something i wasn't sure about, AND over pay for it..

Well the P1 was never a device I needed. I could have continued to use my phone for portable too. I paid more than twice what you paid to get it and I don't feel bad about it FWIW. The other DAPs I've touched and hated and cost a lot more than the P1 had slow/sluggish UIs, took forever to index on boot. I really appreciate how fast the P1 is, and that it sounds great. I hardly ever actually use the EQs and FX but I'm happy they're in there. Sometimes with some headphones it's just the right thing. I haven't played with FXs on other DAPs but that is one thing it seems nobody else can nail. I also like how I can use the P1 as a DAC at work. I've been tempted to buy a schiit stack for work but why when I have the P1?

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #2,706 of 2,974
Well the P1 was never a device I needed. I could have continued to use my phone for portable too. I paid more than twice what you paid to get it and I don't feel bad about it FWIW. The other DAPs I've touched and hated and cost a lot more than the P1 had slow/sluggish UIs, took forever to index on boot. I really appreciate how fast the P1 is, and that it sounds great. I hardly ever actually use the EQs and FX but I'm happy they're in there. Sometimes with some headphones it's just the right thing. I haven't played with FXs on other DAPs but that is one thing it seems nobody else can nail. I also like how I can use the P1 as a DAC at work. I've been tempted to buy a schiit stack for work but why when I have the P1?

True - my V20 is a great phone, and the DAP wasn't needed. But i was also growing tired of trying to get the right app to sound the best (or wait for others to update their beta). Having a sleek standalone, piggybacked with my amp has been a real blast so far; i admit i dont know if the C5 is needed, but it pairs well overall, so i am happy. I also really like the new UI the P1 got - feels fresh, and everything i need is pretty straight forward. At this point... certainly glad i bought it and held on to it.

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #2,707 of 2,974
Hi all, since last firmware (2.20) my P1 takes quite a lot to scan the database everytime I turn it on (more than 30s I guess), moreover, at the end of the process it keeps asking me first for language and the for region (eu vs not eu). Does any of you have the same issues?
It even seems like it doesn't keep anymore in memory which was the last song I was playing before turning it off.
Is it normal? I meam, does the new firmware have these new "behaviors" or what?
Thanks in advance

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #2,708 of 2,974
Hi all, since last firmware (2.20) my P1 takes quite a lot to scan the database everytime I turn it on (more than 30s I guess), moreover, at the end of the process it keeps asking me first for language and the for region (eu vs not eu). Does any of you have the same issues?
It even seems like it doesn't keep anymore in memory which was the last song I was playing before turning it off.
Is it normal? I meam, does the new firmware have these new "behaviors" or what?
Thanks in advance

No such problems on mine. Seems like yours does not remember the settings. You tried doing a factory reset to clear off problems?

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #2,709 of 2,974
No such problems on mine. Seems like yours does not remember the settings. You tried doing a factory reset to clear off problems?

Yes that's right, it didn't remeber any type of setting. I've just performed a fsck.vfat correcting some bad blocks....everything is working now. :wink:
Thanks anyway :D

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #2,710 of 2,974
Yes that's right, it didn't remeber any type of setting. I've just performed a fsck.vfat correcting some bad blocks....everything is working now. :wink:
Thanks anyway :D

I wonder if this is one of those situations where you need to remember to unmount the drive properly before you unplug it from your computer? Usually there's no problem but occasionally it can result in bad blocks...

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #2,711 of 2,974
I wonder if this is one of those situations where you need to remember to unmount the drive properly before you unplug it from your computer? Usually there's no problem but occasionally it can result in bad blocks...
Nope. I always unmount the drive. I was coying some files into the external sd card and the p1 unmounted itself, both the internal and the external drive. :frowning2:
Then the issue....

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #2,712 of 2,974
You liked P1 over Opus #2?
Afaik the #2 is their flagship. Opus #3 should be inbetween #1 and #2 regarding price and sq.

I picked up a (few weeks old) Opus #1 on eBay (although I knew the seller from HF) myself earlier this week => expect it to arrive soon.
The reason was that I wanted another dap for on the go (take outside). Now I usually take the P1 with me, but batterylife (4-5 hrs max on mine) just ain't that great, Opus #1 should have around 10 hrs.
I don't expect the #1 to sound better than the P1 though...

Yes, but it really is just personal preference for the sound of the P1.

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2,713 of 2,974
Hi, I own Cowon Plenue D and an opportunity arose to buy the Cowon Plenue 1. I only own CIEM JH5

Is the difference in sound quality between Plenue D and Plenue 1 too large?

Does it make up for me to buy Plenue 1 or buy another earphone?

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #2,714 of 2,974
Jul 3, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,715 of 2,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back