Closed Headphones for Classical, Jazz
Jul 21, 2017 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ahson

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for a new set of closed headphones mainly for classical, jazz and some blues music. I did quite a lot of research and thought I am set on a set of the Beyerdynamic DT 660 but I couldn't find them anywhere! I guess they've been discontinued? I've seen people mentioned the AKG K545/550 but they seem to have cups/ears sealing issue? If not because of that potential issue, I would love to try the K545. My budget will be $200-$250. Anyhow, I am wondering what are my alternatives?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Check out the NAD HP50 and the SoundMAGIC HP151 and see what you think. Good for your musical interests. It is possible one of them could work for you.If you can stretch a bit, check out the MEZE 99 Classics--it is terrific and quite beautiful to look at.

Jul 21, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Check out the NAD HP50 and the SoundMAGIC HP151 and see what you think. Good for your musical interests. It is possible one of them could work for you.If you can stretch a bit, check out the MEZE 99 Classics--it is terrific and quite beautiful to look at.

Hello! I am not a fan of the HP50 as it has a rectangular shaped driver and small ear cups. SoundMagic HP151, are they strong/light bass as I will mainly use them for classical, jazz... thanks!

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 8
Hello! I am not a fan of the HP50 as it has a rectangular shaped driver and small ear cups. SoundMagic HP151, are they strong/light bass as I will mainly use them for classical, jazz... thanks!
The HP151 are just ever-so-slightly v-shaped, so there is just a slight bass emphasis there. Not sure if that will work or not. A very nice headphone, though. As is the MEZE.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Koss PRO4/AA and Audio-Technica ATH-A900X both come to mind as good options for this too. Both have pros/cons in terms of fit, and they have fairly different drive requirements (the Koss are old-school high impedance and moderate sensitivity - they come from an era that expects to be plugged into a receiver or studio mixing console, not to say there isn't modern hardware that can't run them, but iPods and cell phones are basically "out"; the A900X are more modern low-Z high sensitivity and will run from lots of devices but you may also hear the noise floor or channel tracking issues of lesser components more readily). Sound wise I think they're both good choices - slightly v-shaped, good treble detail, smooth overall presentation, spacious without being overblown soundstage, etc.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 8
IME

beyerdynamic DT150 vast soundscape

Focal Spirit Classic (build quality aside) with the right source.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes my ears were truly opened the first time I heard the Beyer 150. So natural and expansive. For some reason I sold that first pair and my second and indeed my tihird never recaptured the magic for some reason

The Spirit Classic though was something else at least paired with a Chord Mojo. If only that headband didn't crack every 6 months (3times for me) I wouldn't be looking for another headphone. The they were just so dynamic so natural so musical so right. The Mojo really opened them up

if only Focal fixed that headband. As it is I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy my favourite headphone. Maybe the Focal Listen might be worth a try.

The HD600 (open backed) is an adequate replacement built to last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back