Closed headphones for 400EURO!
Oct 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zankes

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, any good recommendations for good closed headphones around 400euro? I currently have Fischer FA 003 and Audio Technica M50, but I think I like M50 more...

I also have Fiio E10 AND E11.

I mostly listen Jrock, jpop, tecno, electro, rock.

I'm currently considering Ultrasone PRO 900... Any better suggestion? I don't know much about the higher price headphones....

I want to use my headphones for my laptop, ipod etc. I would use them at home and while I travel to school, work etc.

Please help me to get right headphones for me.

-S

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 5
I was gonna say get HE-400 as that would work well with what you got. I also listen to lot of electronic music, and the Hifiman's are pretty good for everything including that....Then I read closed option. 

- Pro 900 (huge mid-bass and bright - works well through E10 and E11). Titanium drivers are fast, so quite good for EDM. Although vocals aren't as good as the Denon's on this. Pure filthy dubstep and instrumental stuff, go Pro 900 and don't look back. If you have lot of vocals in your songs, then somewhat lacking - recessed mids.

- D2000/D5000 (you gotta look around to find used here at head-fi) - more balanced sound than PRO 900 (D5000 is punchy like Pro 900 but again more balanced). With trance and electronica, the Denon's have one of the best sub-bass out there while having a balanced sound (minus the LCD-2), although seems to lack the mid-bass punch for fast genres.

With PRO 900, you gotta watch out for the treble. Some people find it quite fatiguing with the whole S-logic.

If I could swing a D5000, I would get that out of them all.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I was gonna say get HE-400 as that would work well with what you got. I also listen to lot of electronic music, and the Hifiman's are pretty good for everything including that....Then I read closed option. 

- Pro 900 (huge mid-bass and bright - works well through E10 and E11). Titanium drivers are fast, so quite good for EDM. Although vocals aren't as good as the Denon's on this. Pure filthy dubstep and instrumental stuff, go Pro 900 and don't look back. If you have lot of vocals in your songs, then somewhat lacking - recessed mids.

- D2000/D5000 (you gotta look around to find used here at head-fi) - more balanced sound than PRO 900 (D5000 is punchy like Pro 900 but again more balanced). With trance and electronica, the Denon's have one of the best sub-bass out there while having a balanced sound (minus the LCD-2), although seems to lack the mid-bass punch for fast genres.

With PRO 900, you gotta watch out for the treble. Some people find it quite fatiguing with the whole S-logic.

If I could swing a D5000, I would get that out of them all.

Most of my songs have quite a lot vocals, because I like to enjoy the female vocals... But I listen many types of music, so guess I could go for PRO 900, there aren't much closed headphones in 400euro range...

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Most of my songs have quite a lot vocals, because I like to enjoy the female vocals... But I listen many types of music, so guess I could go for PRO 900, there aren't much closed headphones in 400euro range...

If your songs have a lot of vocals and you listen to lot of genres, then I'd definitely recommend a Denon. You can easily get a D5000 from here at head-fi. Ultrasone is better for EDM, but not other stuff. The D5000 brings out the timbre better for rock. Overall the tonality and voicing of Denon makes it one of the best closed all-rounders out there, even with my HE-500 beside me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back