Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 25, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #6,301 of 22,467
IMG_1314.JPG
Alright I can without out a doubt say the mcintosh mha100 + hugo 2 combo is nothing short of amazing, the mha100 ads a speed, dnamic and base punch that is just unreal it sounds so different, so dynamic it's really hard for me to put this into words. Its just bloody fantastic.

This is total end game for me, I don't care what comes out next this setup will do me just fine for years to come.

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #6,302 of 22,467
Alright I can without out a doubt say the mcintosh mha100 + hugo 2 combo is nothing short of amazing, the mha100 ads a speed, dnamic and base punch that is just unreal it sounds so different, so dynamic it's really hard for me to put this into words. Its just bloody fantastic.

Enjoy, that Mac is just awesome. Well done.

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #6,303 of 22,467

This is total end game for me, I don't care what comes out next this setup will do me just fine for years to come.

so, the HUGO2s DAC is better than the internal DAC of the mha100 ? Have you compared ?

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #6,304 of 22,467
BTW.... congratulation for the modded computer. It looks amazing !

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #6,305 of 22,467
so, the HUGO2s DAC is better than the internal DAC of the mha100 ? Have you compared ?

I haven't even bothered to be honest, probably never will, haha.

I can tell you the combination itself sounds awesome, and I can pretty much say without out a doubt the h2 dac is better than the mac, their very different beasts.

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #6,306 of 22,467
'Pink' I believe,.. I havent had mine charged up for 24 hours constant and thats when it enters the desktop mode,.. should be able to confirm tomorrow night,. hope this helps :)
When plugged in on the desktop...what color is the charging ball, indicating that the battery is being bypassed?

See Rob's comments below:

The colour for 1A charging is cyan - it's not blue. Note that when the unit is close to fully charged, the charger takes less power, so a 1A charger would initially be cyan when the battery is flat, but will switch to white or full charge rate later on. The circuit monitors the input voltage, and will only go into 1A charging mode if the charger PSU voltage drops.

It will show blue if it is fully charged, and the unit is switched on. If the unit is off, and charger connected, then the light being off indicates end of charge.

When its in desktop mode and the unit is on, then it will indicate magenta. Disconnecting the charger will reset desktop mode. In terms of longevity, Li batteries do not care if you run to 80% and then charge; you will get the same life if you discharge to 0%; so a 20% discharge will allow 5 times more charge/discharge cycles. In desktop mode, the battery is no longer being charged or discharged, so effectively battery life is not dependent upon charging and discharging.

Rob

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #6,307 of 22,467
"Alright I can without out a doubt say the mcintosh mha100 + hugo 2 combo is nothing short of amazing, the mha100 ads a speed, dnamic and base punch that is just unreal it sounds so different, so dynamic it's really hard for me to put this into words. Its just bloody fantastic.

This is total end game for me, I don't care what comes out next this setup will do me just fine for years to come."

What other headphones amps if any did you audition with the CH2?

Have heard great reviews for the:
VIOLECTRIC V281
Trilogy 931 (special order from England)
MicroZOTL2 tube amp
ALO Studio 6 tube amp

Any really good near field powered monitor speakers for the CH2 direct without an amp?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #6,308 of 22,467
I'll a/b ch1,ch2,tt later today, well I'm playing golf but, rather than listen to a mic recorded test through my I pad speakers. As an FYI my susvara hd800S comparisons are going well. Not going to give anything away here but that S is an amazing can and the longer I listen to susvara like an old Barolo just keeps getting better and better in the decanter. Results later in the week in the susvara thread.

Whazzup,

Nice to hear you're testing out the Susvara. Are you using the Hugo2 as your source for A/B testing vs. the HD800s? Also I'm a bit surprised at your matchup, the HD800s (approximately $1,700) vs. the $6000 Susvara? I would imagine Susvara vs. Focal Utopia ($4000) would be a better competition, no? Of course everyone's hearing is unique and price may not correlate with quality, and sometimes there are severely diminishing returns in audio products.

I definitely will be trying the Focal Utopias (I read that at various audio shows Chord headphone products have had Utopias connected to them) but will also try out the Susvara to see if there is a noticeable difference (unfortunately I probably wouldn't be able to A/B them, as I don't know of a local dealer who carries both).

Still, I think the Susvara is a beautiful pair of headphones and that counts for something in my estimation (also the incredible build quality).

Hope you're enjoying! I will keep an eye out for your assessment next week!

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #6,310 of 22,467
The description of the samples methodology will be in separate summaries. Hd800S vs susvara is done via my A) set up described in the susvara summary. I chose hd800S because it's what I have and in my opinion the best hp at its price point. So now the bar is set given its particular sig, strengths and weakness, is how a 4 times more expensive hp will be judged. Appreciation for what it does aside. Inquiring minds need to know.
Concerning ch1 ch2 and tt the sample methodology will be via my b) set up linear ps> iMac 5k roon core> audio quest jitterbug> audio quest cinnamon> ch1 or ch2> double helix cables v3 type 4 Litz 8 braid> encore. Or > double helix compliment 4> hd800S. TT will be thrown in for fun. Of course lots of focus on the portable iPhone 7 plus cck into ch1 ch2 > encore
I don't own utopia cause hd800S is my analytic hp king pin. I also have la900 for my modified bass canon and really are just curious if a third can could compliment or not. It won't be easy to gain table top space with me, but let's see if an entrant can...
So far, very preliminary so bear with this, concerning Hugo ch1 distortion benefits it versus ch2 in the low end. Ch2 subtle detail in the mids differentiates notes a bit better and rounded, maybe slightly larger sound stage. I'm surprised yet pleased how well ch1 holds up, although I really like the build refinements in 2. As a teaser TT surprisingly remains king. It just has the authority depth and dynamics imo that propels my hp in scale. Whether this just masks ch2 technicle advantage I have yet to discern....
Summaries will follow in 20-30 hours.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #6,312 of 22,467
White filter for classical, green filter for rock.

Since the green filter is the insicive with a HF filter added (pretty much just a filter for high sampling rate files) I'm surprised you change the filter depending on genre.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #6,314 of 22,467

I prefer small bedside setup. The Hugo 2 will replace the Mojo

A fan-less/head-less NUC i5 with 2TB internal & 8TB external storing all my media (movies & music) and using a Note 4 as remote display/controller sat on wireless charging pad. the NUC powers the Mojo fine so should do same for Hugo 2.

20170722_155504.jpg

I like to chill listening to music in bed :smile_phones: Tidal Master playing

Just waiting to test out the UK Tour one I've got coming soon for 10 days testing before pulling the plug on buying my own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back