CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 28, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #8,371 of 25,754
So I recalled that someone here mentioned that he used the headphone out to feed his Stax amp in order to make use of crossfeed.

I got curious and asked Rob. Apparently, when the crossfeed is set, it is set forever, for all outputs (regardless of whether headphones are plugged out, the DAVE is put on standby, or even turned off). In effect this means that crossfeed is a setting like any other, just that you must plug in headphones to set it.

Plug in headphones -> Set Crossfeed -> Unplug the headphones and enjoy the crossfeed settings through the external amp of your choice.

So now I'm using Crossfeed with my external amp, via the RCA inputs!

My friend with speakers apparently has also been using Crossfeed 1 with his speakers :D

Really? Are you really really sure about that? I was pretty certain the crossfeed was only active when the headphones were plugged in, ie when Dave is in Headphone mode.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #8,372 of 25,754
My info came from Rob.

Anyway it's easy to test, the effect is obvious.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #8,373 of 25,754
The RCA output is connected to the headphone - but via different relays. When Dave sees the headphone socket being used, it goes into headphone mode - shuts down the RCA and XLR, and restores the original volume setting when headphones were used last. Also cross-feed is enabled. The headphone sockets we use are as good as the RCA.

Rob

I found this from page 59 of this forum. It's possible I and other users misinterpreted what Rob Watts was saying. I got the impression that when the headphone socket is not in use, cross-feed is disabled. I also thought this design went back to the original Hugo. So if my interpretation is wrong about this, what is said would be true for Hugo, Hugo TT and Hugo 2?

As a total aside, it's bloody annoying to page back to page 59 of the forum with the new format of the website. We used to be able to click on Go To and type in the page.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #8,374 of 25,754
I found this from page 59 of this forum. It's possible I and other users misinterpreted what Rob Watts was saying. I got the impression that when the headphone socket is not in use, cross-feed is disabled. I also thought this design went back to the original Hugo. So if my interpretation is wrong about this, what is said would be true for Hugo, Hugo TT and Hugo 2?

As a total aside, it's bloody annoying to page back to page 59 of the forum with the new format of the website. We used to be able to click on Go To and type in the page.

Crossfeed stays on (on all outputs) until/unless you turn it off with on the HugoTT.

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #8,375 of 25,754
I recalled that someone here mentioned that he used the headphone out to feed his Stax amp in order to make use of crossfeed.

I got curious and asked Rob. Apparently, when the crossfeed is set, it is set forever, for all outputs (regardless of whether headphones are plugged out, the DAVE is put on standby, or even turned off). In effect this means that crossfeed is a setting like any other, just that you must plug in headphones to set it.

Plug in headphones -> Set Crossfeed -> Unplug the headphones and enjoy the crossfeed settings through the external amp of your choice.

My friend with speakers apparently has also been using Crossfeed 1 with his speakers :D

Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

As a workaround you could replace the current page number (now «...page-559») in the web address above with the number of the page you want to go to.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #8,376 of 25,754
I think we all misintepreted. I messaged Rob to ask if there were any downsides to connect to my Stax amp via the headphone out, and got the surprising answer that it was not necessary to do so.

Psyched! I too am a triode user and it's great to be able to use crossfeed with my tube amps :)

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #8,377 of 25,754
Oh my god! One whole year of listening through my speakers with crossfeed set at 3. One whole year.
I've always wondered why I don't get the soundstage or soundstage depth that everyone talks about with the DAVE when I listen through my speakers. Yeah. It's because I'm crossfeeding my bass. And I also wondered why sometimes when I listen to string quartets, the instruments feel more centred. Freaking crossfeed.

And yes, all day at work, this is what I've been thinking about. Was jelt2359 right? So the moment I got home after dinner, I ran JRiver, muted one channel in JRiver and then ran the Stereophile Test CD 3 with its channel identification track where they play pink noise on each channel and yeah, I can hear the bass playing on the muted speaker. The moment I switched Crossfeed back from 3 to 0, I got no sound from the muted speaker.

I am very happy though that I'm getting so much more from the music. I don't deserve my stereo since I'm obviously deaf and stupid. I should have heard this a long time ago.

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #8,378 of 25,754
I recalled that someone here mentioned that he used the headphone out to feed his Stax amp in order to make use of crossfeed.

Thank you very much for posting this!!

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #8,379 of 25,754
I'm now wondering how many subpar reviews of Chord DAVE are out there because the Crossfeed is set incorrectly when demoing/reviewing with speakers. I think back to the Hi-Fi Critic review. We know the reviewer Rafael Todes loved Chord Mojo and Hugo for his headphones. Did he set his Chord DAVE to Crossfeed 3 when listening to his headphones and never changed it back? Is that why he found Naim NDS + 555PS DR to create a bigger soundstage and rhythmically tighter but a trifle more mechanical compared to DAVE's fluency when listening to speakers?

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #8,380 of 25,754
On the flipside I'm hearing my external headamps with crossfeed for the first time and it is quite the treat!!!

Fwiw those using speakers can try crossfeed 1 (the minimum setting). Heard there are good results for some.

Apr 29, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #8,381 of 25,754
I have also just confirmed this behaviour using the pink noise test at wooferbasstest.com - with crossfeed set at anything else but 0 the right hand channel will play some noise when only the left hand channel is fed with signal, and vice versa.

This is a dreadful behaviour!

The manual says "In headphone mode you can select from 4 crossfeed settings to suit your listening experience and headphones. Use the up/down buttons or remote control to select the crossfeed option then use the left/right button to change the setting from crossfeed 1 to 4. "

This clearly implies that crossfeed only applies to headphone listening. The fact that the setting isn't even visible in normal listening mode, and that a different volume setting is retained, implies that the two modes are distinct.

Luckily I rarely listen to headphones, and rarely use crossfeed, but strangely enough last night I had been playing with some newish SE535s on my DAVE and then switched back to speakers and didn't engage as much as I usually do. I have now discovered why - the crossfeed was left on 1.

This is not a sensible behaviour, and I don't think it is acceptable.

If the crossfeed applies to headphones (for which it is designed) and speakers (for which it is not designed) then the setting should always be visible on the display, and should always be modifiable. As it is you have no idea what setting is set when you are listening to speakers, and you have to go away and find a pair of headphones to plug in to show a setting that should have no relevance to speaker listening.

I would prefer it if there was no crossfeed ever on speakers - it is a feature designed for headphones. If it is going to be applicable to speakers, then it must be shown on the display, and the user must be able to change it without plugging in headphones.

Anyhow, thanks to whoever it was that raised this issue - you have saved me from screwing up my hifi. Pity Chord couldn't have done the same.

Apr 29, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #8,382 of 25,754
Speaking about Crossfeed, I wonder if the magical "Binaural mode" that the $10.000 GOLDMUND THA2 headphone DAC/AMP pretend to recreate out of standard recording isn't just a Crossfeed ? This will be a great example of marketing bullsh.. !
--> Has anyone listened to the THA2's Binaural mode ?

Ampli_Casque_Goldmund_THA2_1.jpg

Extract from Goldmund's web page :
"....And it now comes with a new feature that will ravish headphone aficionados: The Binaural encoding.
This encoding is made thanks to algorithms that transform standard recordings into binaural. Any normal track can benefit from this feature thanks to a simple switch on the front panel of the amplifier. For recordings that are already in binaural, the switch should simply be on the STD position. In addition to a clear sense of depth, this feature greatly improves the natural balance between the instruments and provides a completely clear picture of the layout of the orchestra or band."

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #8,385 of 25,754
Stupid question but how do you know if crossfeed is turned on. I've used the up down arrows but these just cycle through the visible options. How do I view the invisible?

To see the crossfeed option you need headphone's plugged in. From there select left/right to engage the crossfeed when on the crossfeed option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back