Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 22, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #572 of 4,904
Hmm... If your experience can be extrapolated to computer USB connections in general, then that is rather off-putting.
As someone who has recently discarded CDs in favour of computer source (via microRendu/LPS-1) because the latter (eventually) sounded better to my ears, I don't think I can now go back to CDs in order to get the best SQ. I've still got my CD collection stored away (just in case), so I'm quite happy to play the occasional CD for nostalgia's sake. But I don't think I'll be able to handle the situation where my nostalgia source sounds much better than the source I'll be using most of the time.

Edit: dmance's test shows YMMV. More reports required please on the USB input.

I don't think dmance was talking specifically about the Blu2. I am. I just compared it on my own Blu2. I was using my modded Rednet rather than the SMS200 because I had done that comparison on my Blu2 and preferred the Rednet, although my SMS200 is not the Ultra version so maybe that's one difference with the version of the SMS200 that others are now using.

Now it's not night and day, but given a choice between the two, CD vs flac from the same CD, I'll be choosing the CD, based on what I've heard. The CD version was clearer, more detailed, and more dynamic.

Having said that, I have other friends who believe that it might simply be, 'what media was this originally from'? As in, flac files burned onto CDs don't sound as good as direct from the streamer; and CD music don't sound as good when ripped. But I'm not going to make that test- I can't be bothered to burn stuff :)

May 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #573 of 4,904
Hmm... If your experience can be extrapolated to computer USB connections in general, then that is rather off-putting.
As someone who has recently discarded CDs in favour of computer source (via microRendu/LPS-1) because the latter (eventually) sounded better to my ears, I don't think I can now go back to CDs in order to get the best SQ. I've still got my CD collection stored away (just in case), so I'm quite happy to play the occasional CD for nostalgia's sake. But I don't think I'll be able to handle the situation where my nostalgia source sounds much better than the source I'll be using most of the time.

Edit: dmance's test shows YMMV. More reports required please on the USB input.

From a logical point of view, i would hypothesize that a well designed internal cd transport would sound better than a USB connection. This is because any external computer or connection would have its own set of compromises, including noise and grounding issues. Even the USB cable can pick up noise...

I too look forward to more comprehensive listening tests, especially with between the same track burnt onto a cd playing on Blu and another playing from a computer disk drive.

May 22, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #574 of 4,904
As regards Dave used direct into a power amp in pre-amp mode, opinion is divided, but I'm not sure it's just a matter of taste. I think it likely that the current delivery suits some power amps better than others, which accounts for some of the differences. I've found it better using a pre-amp, but I'm not a "transparency über alles" kind of guy, and I can see others might get a better sound, which is more to their liking, by excluding a pre-amp.

Re: CDs, I'm still waiting for my Blu 2 (about one to two weeks away) and it will be interesting to compare CDs against ripped FLACs. Previously, I had a preference for CDs, but I suspect this was because SPDIF was better implemented on DACS. With the original Hugo and then DAVE, all that changed, and for the first time USB equalled SPDIF. Indeed, on the whole FLACS sounded better than the original CDs (I was using a Meridian 500 Transport into the DAVE). I shall try again when my Blu 2 arrives, but of course, there are numerous other advantages in using audio files over CDs, which I think counts for something.

On the other hand, I've not ripped all my CDs. For example: for operas I usually need access to the libretti and online databases are notoriously hopeless at properly filling metadata tags for opera, and I don't feel like doing the whole thing by hand. So I've still got plenty of CD based music.

May 22, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #575 of 4,904
I think it depends upon numerous variables. I have an excellent CD transport which has always sounded better than ripped files in A/B comparisons. This helped me to evaluate various ways of cleaning the streaming system up, which I managed to the extent that files are now indistinguishable from the CD when compared side by side.

I am looking forward to comparing the Blu II in my system. The first thing I intend to do is to compare a CD played by Blu II to a file played direct into Dave USB, not through the M Scaler. This will give me a good idea of what value the M Scaler is adding to the equation over and above what I have at the movement without it. I am not expecting huge improvements, but many comments so far suggest that I may be wrong. I hope I am.

The good news is that my Blu II arrives tomorrow!

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #576 of 4,904
As far as I am aware DAC mode does nothing apart from set the output to +3dB and disable the volume control.

Correction, DAC mode is 3Vrms output and sets the volume to -3dB. :beerchug:

May 22, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #577 of 4,904
I think it depends upon numerous variables. I have an excellent CD transport which has always sounded better than ripped files in A/B comparisons. This helped me to evaluate various ways of cleaning the streaming system up, which I managed to the extent that files are now indistinguishable from the CD when compared side by side.

I am looking forward to comparing the Blu II in my system. The first thing I intend to do is to compare a CD played by Blu II to a file played direct into Dave USB, not through the M Scaler. This will give me a good idea of what value the M Scaler is adding to the equation over and above what I have at the movement without it. I am not expecting huge improvements, but many comments so far suggest that I may be wrong. I hope I am.

The good news is that my Blu II arrives tomorrow! :thumbsup:

You WILL be wrong.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

May 22, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #578 of 4,904
Correction, DAC mode is 3Vrms output and sets the volume to -3dB. :beerchug:

I just took it from the Dave manual but have just tried it on the Dave and you are of course correct and the manual is wrong. Thanks.

May 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #580 of 4,904
Just listening to "The Curse" on Agnes Obel's Aventine through the Blu2 / Dave. Wonderful cello and other instruments not to mention her voice. The Blu2 is bringing new life to all my music.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 20.40.57.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 20.40.57.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 0
May 22, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #581 of 4,904
Just been reading the recent posts although still on the fence re Blu Mk2 purchase I may be getting that itch!

I seems to me that playing CD though blu2 has a very high chance of out performing flac files from a USB connection as there is no conversion and associated computer - server - player issues it's more direct from CD to Dave, dare I say transparent.

OH NO BACK TO CD !

I found Preamp from Dave works better for me.

May 22, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #584 of 4,904
QUOTE="dmance, post: 13504253, member: 460740"]@Triode User
Regarding your comments on using the Music First passive pre-amp vs DAVE direct. I know in several posts from Rob Watts and others that the increased sense of 'better sound' by adding devices to the chain is just subtle analog distortion - from a purely technical perspective. In my mind this is akin to the singer's voice after few bourbons, a tissue over the secondary microphones, a baffle shield on the drummer, re-arranging furniture in the recording venue. All subtle but audible and there is nothing wrong with tweaks to tune the music to our taste or time of year or time of life.
Its ironic, RW spends his lifetime working to seek full transparency and engineering out any and all forms of distortion ...only to have customers pile distortion back in. I wonder, though, if any future M-Scaler/DAVE2/Digital-Amp should have RW engineer in a digital equivalent of downstream analog distortion. Perhaps implementing a dozen or more settings that tickle our brain in different ways. A glorified version of the Hugo2 filter modes.[/QUOTE]
You missed out the listeners hearing after a few bourbons. :)

May 22, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #585 of 4,904
Received notice from my dealer(Sound by Singer in New York City) that my Blu2 should be arriving in the next few weeks from the US distributor, Bluebird Music. Will send in final payment check with tomorrow's mail. I'm totally jazzed!

Esau

Users who are viewing this thread

Back