Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 5, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #991 of 7,153
It's great to see reports about ISK headphones overcoming much more expensive headphones. @Pharmaboy reported that the Marantz MPH-2 (ISK MDH9000) beats the sound of the Fostex TH-X00 and the one of the Philips Fidelio X2. @demo-to said that the ISK HD9999 beats the Philips A5 pro and the Akg k553 in terms of sound.

The closed MPH-2 beats out the open Fidelio X2? I'm having an awfully hard time believing that.

May 5, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #992 of 7,153
The closed MPH-2 beats out the open Fidelio X2? I'm having an awfully hard time believing that.

Without going back through many pages to see exactly what I wrote, it's hard to recall exactly what I said. Believe I said at that point that I was listening to the MPH-2's more often than the X2's, enjoying them more. The MPH-2's do beat the X2's in certain ways: they're lighter, more compact, better bass overall (though the X2's are not shy in the bass department). MPH-2's have very good soundstaging for a closed-back design, though the open-back X2's win that round.

I think that overall, the MPH-2's are more versatile and more convenient (ie, to sling around the desktop or take someplace else).

I still listen to & love both headphones. They play in somewhat different circles...plus the X2's were 4X the cost of the MPH-2's. Both headphones are IMO overachievers: the X2's compete w/HP's 1.5 to 2X their cost; the MPH-2's compete with HPs 2 to 5X their cost.

May 5, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #993 of 7,153
I'd love to see that link as well. I always have to talk myself out of buying the X00, and would like to see if this is a reasonable alternative.

Just seeing this post. TH-X00's vs Marantz MPH-2's is a fascinating subject to me. I still own & use the MPH-2's; owned the mahogany TH-X00's and sold very quickly.

Physically there's no contest: the Fostex is higher quality materials in every way, though at the time I bought mine, the 3M cord was not detachable (that sucked). The Fostex price-point is literally 10X that of the MPH-2's, and it shows. The only physical contest won by the MPH-2's IMO are the pads: they're non-angled and very comfortable, plush-feeling. The seal is easy to make very good. The Fostex pads looked quite handsome but weren't as pleasing on the ears as the MPH-2's, plus they were hard to get a good seal with.

Judged purely on sonic grounds, the Fostex had just 1 true superiority over the MPH-2's: sub-bass. The entire bass range of the Fostex hit quite hard, but the sub-bass was elevated. It was actually a bit weird to have deep/impactful bass at relatively normal levels, then have that semi-alarming rumble (song dependent) in the sub-bass.

I'll probably be crucified by the Fostex fans for saying this, but IMO, the lowly MPH-2's won the contest in every other part of the frequency range. Despite not having those pretty wooden cups (which do influence sound somewhat), they still manage to sound more even, more calm, and more accurate. In the treble the MPH-2's are typically competent--lots of detail/information, but zero brightness. By contrast, tthe treble was the big problem w/the Fostex...it was bright, grainy, very "jangly," the opposite of smooth. I sold the TH-X00's because of the treble, which hurt my ears
  • In fairness to Fostex, the treble is said to sound somewhat different w/different woods. The ebony earcups in particular were said to have somewhat less spikey treble, and somewhat better bass than mahogany.

I was just listening the MPH-2's today (using them to monitor a new DAC that's burning in). They are very clear, quite spacious in sound despite being closed back, and no part of the frequency spectrum is hyped or spikey. The bass is somewhat elevated, but it's a shallow shelf vs a spike. I find the bass to sound very pleasing w/the MPH-2's.

I remain interested in just one headphone based on the Fostex TH-X00 frame: the E-MU Teak. That's a headphone I dream about (Massdrop, are you listening?).

May 5, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #994 of 7,153
Thanks for the clarification.

When I "rate" my HPs, I look at multiple factors too - not just sound, but the whole package (sound, comfort, ergonomics, build quality, cost, usage scenario, etc). I have some HPs that are superior in some categories but not so in others. Which is why when I hear 'X blows away Y', it's helpful to have it put into perspective to understand just what that means.

May 8, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #997 of 7,153
Hi guys, ı'm between HD9999 and HP2011. Currently using cayin n3 dap and i want to ask will cayin n3 enough for driving HD9999? İf it is, i choose HD9999.
Hi. I drive the HD9999 with my Sony Xperia Z3C. With the default Sony Player it works loud enough. I am not completely sure but I can imagine almost any DAP has more output power to offer.
I am still very pleased by the HD9999 sound abilities. Very, very good headphones. But I also ordered the HP2011, too and the Bosshifi B8. Hope I get both the next days. I can share some more impressions later.

May 8, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #998 of 7,153
May 9, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #999 of 7,153
New ROUND pads from Brainwavz!

bwz.jpg

May 9, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,000 of 7,153
Great (or weak) minds think alike. Got 2 emails from Brainwavz about this today. Have been thinking of getting a pair just to (further) tweak my Yenona's.

I've been on a slo-mo earpad quest w/those, trying to get them to sound like they did at first.

But I may just sell them...or give them away. Got an itch to get another HP, and I'm full up.

May 9, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #1,002 of 7,153
What is the diameter of those?

100mm...though that's at the outside bulge of the pads (ie, extreme outside point to opposing outside point). The actual diameter of the attachment flap feature will be slightly less, maybe 95mm.

When you click through to the pleather version of these pads, there are 13 images listed (illustrating various colors). A measurements/specs jpg is the final image on bottom row.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...-29187097&mc_cid=a0ae2477f7&mc_eid=d36b0324bf

May 9, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #1,003 of 7,153
Great (or weak) minds think alike. Got 2 emails from Brainwavz about this today. Have been thinking of getting a pair just to (further) tweak my Yenona's.

I've been on a slo-mo earpad quest w/those, trying to get them to sound like they did at first.

But I may just sell them...or give them away. Got an itch to get another HP, and I'm full up.
I haven't had much time to use my Yenonas but whenever I do I'm surprised at the comfort and sound quality for the $33 I paid. I'd also like to try the new BWZ pads with them but they're not getting enough use to justify the cost at the moment.

May 9, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #1,004 of 7,153

OK, thanks.

Unfortunately I have a mountain of NIB 100mm round pads (really nice ones too). The Brainwavz look like nice quality though, & I love their oval pads & color choices. Just wish the price was better.

May 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,005 of 7,153
Hi. I drive the HD9999 with my Sony Xperia Z3C. With the default Sony Player it works loud enough. I am not completely sure but I can imagine almost any DAP has more output power to offer.
I am still very pleased by the HD9999 sound abilities. Very, very good headphones. But I also ordered the HP2011, too and the Bosshifi B8. Hope I get both the next days. I can share some more impressions later.
Thanks, ı ordered hp2011, maybe after your reviews i can order a hd9999.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back