Chair recommendations?
May 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

slayerming2

100+ Head-Fier
This may sound like a weird question to post here, but I have really weak gluts that currently hurts my knees and hips a lot.

The chair at home I currently have has really work cushioning. I was wondering if there's any chair cushions you recommend?

That or a good comfortable chair, less than $300 preferably. Just asked for a cushion first since I would need one for work and for at home.

editing: Something like this looks interesting for the cushioning.

https://www.amazon.com/Kieba-Cushio...qid=1495457405&sr=8-16&keywords=chair+cushion

May 24, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 47
As they say, "sitting is new smoking". Far better solution is to use a kneeling chair, less strain your back. I have several and use them for about 20 years now, and there cannot be any comparison with any conventional chair. Beware of the Office Depot-type cheapos - try Hug Balance. They are expensive but worth every penny. Your back will thank you.

May 1, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 47
DX Racer makes a pretty comfy chair. The Tank Series. I'd suggest looking at their website to see if anything fits your needs.

Plus one to the DX Racer, I own one... Great chair. I have only had it a few months, but expect many years out of it. Great build quality and very comfortable.

They also have a major competitor out there, that max on par products, Maxnomic. The two products are so close to each other in price, quality, and fan base, that you are likely to start as bad of a war as AMD vs Nvida.

May 1, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 47
F60C2E5D-4311-4804-AABE-3892DA69AAEE.jpeg Herman Miller Aeron, not fancy look but super comfy, always fell asleep when I listen to music

May 10, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 47
I am probably one of the few people in the world that hates the Aeron. It is probably one of the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever sat in. Ive tried one at work twice and I can go more than 30 minute or so before Im looking for a different one. The mesh is odd feeling and the plastic bit on the front digs into my legs, doesn't matter how I try to adjust the chair. I think what I use at work now is a steelcase Amia and I can sit in that comfortably for hours.

May 11, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 47
I am probably one of the few people in the world that hates the Aeron.

My impression is the Aeron actually was a somewhat polarizing chair back in the .com days where every new startup was replete with them, the leg circulation issue being the #1 culprit for detractors. I have the same issue with it, but to be fair I never actually had to live with one. I used Knoll Life chairs which were alright for years, but I just can't get on with the variety of modern office chairs i tried - plenty of things are comfortable for the first 15 minutes, but the overt plushiness of the experience gives way to discomfort over time.

Oddly enough I'm quite happy with a very minimalist late 60s kevi chair in my home office for the past year. There is a modern variant of it out there at DWR that doesn't have the same comfort IMO. Here's the exact chair (the price is bonkers, I got mine for $150 on craigslist in similar condition) - https://www.etsy.com/listing/584091276/vintage-teak-kevi-office-chair-by-jorgen?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=kevi chair&ref=sr_gallery-1-1

It looks like it wouldn't be ergonomic, but like the LCW a lot of effort was put into the design to make it feel like it disappears once properly adjusted. I think it's like minimalist running shoes - having something firm that enforces good posture is healthier than something that strives to maximize comfort.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 47
Just got a used but great condition Aeron for $250 and love it. A bunch of local used furniture stores will buy up a lot of these from large office buildings swapping out for the newest.

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 47
I would recommend the steelcase Leap v2 for the adjustability so you can really make it fit your body. It does retail for 600+ pounds in the UK, but you can get one for 200-300 pounds on Ebay refurbished (I think they get old steelcase leaps and reupholster the cushions). I bought two black leather ones and they have been doing great so far, padding is still firm with no signs of wear.

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #15 of 47
I would recommend the steelcase Leap v2 for the adjustability so you can really make it fit your body. It does retail for 600+ pounds in the UK, but you can get one for 200-300 pounds on Ebay refurbished (I think they get old steelcase leaps and reupholster the cushions). I bought two black leather ones and they have been doing great so far, padding is still firm with no signs of wear.
I recently tried two Steelcase chairs, and I can tell they are very knowledgeable in designing chairs. Their office chairs seem to be designed so that they have good lumbar support, and the mechanisms actually adjusts to your body positions in providing comfortable support.

Aeron on the other hand I agree is over-rated, and it's not best thought out design for ergonomics. I just don't understand why people recommend them. I think they are hyped and overpriced, although they seem to be most durably made.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back