Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,166 of 6,262
I can't remember whether the subject of screen protectors was addressed in this thread by Andy Kong or Cayin Support, or in one of the Shanling threads - but I believe the official word was that the shipping expenses from China would probably be too high for individual screen protectors.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,167 of 6,262
I can't remember whether the subject of screen protectors was addressed in this thread by Andy Kong or Cayin Support, or in one of the Shanling threads - but I believe the official word was that the shipping expenses from China would probably be too high for individual screen protectors.

Likely same cost to ship 10 as for 1.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #3,168 of 6,262
What are the possibilities of putting a group together?

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,169 of 6,262
Wouldn't it just make more sense to send a 100 pack to the local distributor and let them sell it for a few bucks? Hell, they could just stick it into one of the product shipments...

It'd be nice if we could find a Chinese manufacturer of glass protectors and have them do an order of "x" pieces, now that would be worth a group buy!

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #3,170 of 6,262
Wouldn't it just make more sense to send a 100 pack to the local distributor and let them sell it for a few bucks? Hell, they could just stick it into one of the product shipments...

It'd be nice if we could find a Chinese manufacturer of glass protectors and have them do an order of "x" pieces, now that would be worth a group buy!

I'm in.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #3,171 of 6,262

I'm in too! Perhaps some of the good folks at Cayin could point us in the right direction or make introductions? They'll know local manufacturers much better than us.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #3,172 of 6,262

I'm in. Would love a glass screen protector.

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #3,173 of 6,262

Great idea, I'd definitely be in if this could be pulled off.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #3,174 of 6,262
Ok guys, here's an update on Custom Firmware 2.1. Unfortunately my partner in crime (@XVortex) has left the project. Since he was the only one (who I know of) who had the skills to unpack and repack the N3 update.upt firmware file so I could edit the graphics and text, for now we're stuck with custom firmware 2 until such time I can find someone else to help me.

Unless you know if someone who can do this for us, or have the skills yourself, you'll have to live with the crappy Cayin graphics and animations of V2.1 onward. Personally I'm not upgrading from custom 2.0!

PM me or reply here if you think you can help. I'll gladly continue providing designs and animations, and UI corrections.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #3,175 of 6,262
Ok guys, here's an update on Custom Firmware 2.1. Unfortunately my partner in crime (@XVortex) has left the project. Since he was the only one (who I know of) who had the skills to unpack and repack the N3 update.upt firmware file so I could edit the graphics and text, for now we're stuck with custom firmware 2 until such time I can find someone else to help me.

Unless you know if someone who can do this for us, or have the skills yourself, you'll have to live with the crappy Cayin graphics and animations of V2.1 onward. Personally I'm not upgrading from custom 2.0!

PM me or reply here if you think you can help. I'll gladly continue providing designs and animations, and UI corrections.

Wow. Bummer. :cry:

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #3,176 of 6,262

That was my thought, too, on both counts. :fingers_crossed:

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,177 of 6,262

2.0 it is.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #3,178 of 6,262
That was my thought, too, on both counts. :fingers_crossed:

I doubt they will find a distributor that will want the inventory. If one does take it on they will want to stick only to their own territory which will leave some out in the cold.

@docholliday has a good idea alright but who will coordinate?

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #3,179 of 6,262
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #3,180 of 6,262
I have a red N3 for sale if anyone is interested. After some use, I have decided to move on. Liked the sound but just not happy with the UI and font size.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/cayin-n3.856392/
Pity...UI and font could easily be fixed if Cayin opened it up to it's customers, like they did with the N5. Anyway... let us know how it goes, and what you find elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back