Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Apr 6, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #3,106 of 3,742
Mine also crashes but it happens if I try and load a folder to quick.

Exactly, I learned the lesson and it has not happened to me again.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #3,108 of 3,742
Did a factory reset and reloaded spotify, soundcloud and pandora.. Now everything is fine.. It hasnt crashed on me ever and its been 3 days now, I had been using it for atleast 5-6 hrs each day, switching between apps, tracks no signs of sluggishness or crashes. One thing I noticed, when I pause music with headphones connected, it resumes by itself in a few mins.. Has anyone faced this issue?

Still confused how the i5 sounds better than the x5iii without an addional dac chip and balanced output. Is there a secret flex capacitor on the i5?

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #3,109 of 3,742
Did a factory reset and reloaded spotify, soundcloud and pandora.. Now everything is fine.. It hasnt crashed on me ever and its been 3 days now, I had been using it for atleast 5-6 hrs each day, switching between apps, tracks no signs of sluggishness or crashes. One thing I noticed, when I pause music with headphones connected, it resumes by itself in a few mins.. Has anyone faced this issue?

Still confused how the i5 sounds better than the x5iii without an addional dac chip and balanced output. Is there a secret flex capacitor on the i5?

Glad it's behaving better after a factory reset!

Just curious - Have you tried both i5 and X5iii and prefer i5, or are you just going by what others think? I'm sure they have different design/topology which makes them sound different. It's not all about the DAC :p

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #3,110 of 3,742
nmatheis said:
Glad it's behaving better after a factory reset!

Just curious - Have you tried both i5 and X5iii and prefer i5, or are you just going by what others think? I'm sure they have different design/topology which makes them sound different. It's not all about the DAC :p

Tried both x5iii and i5 for over a week. The sound stage is very wide on i5. The separation is much better too. I have a pha3 thats still outstanding. But the i5 SE is better than the x5iii in every possible way. Used Sony Z5 and Shure 846 for testing.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,111 of 3,742
Tried both x5iii and i5 for over a week. The sound stage is very wide on i5. The separation is much better too. I have a pha3 thats still outstanding. But the i5 SE is better than the x5iii in every possible way. Used Sony Z5 and Shure 846 for testing.

Thanks for confirming that. It could be helpful for people trying to make a decision between the two DAPs.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #3,112 of 3,742

Have you heard the Opus#1?  I also have the i5 and I think that soundstage isn't where it really excels.  Still good though.  If you like good wide soundstage, you should try the Opus#1.  The i5 is not really inferior or superior overall, just a completely different sound signature.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #3,114 of 3,742

Have you heard the Opus#1?  I also have the i5 and I think that soundstage isn't where it really excels.  Still good though.  If you like good wide soundstage, you should try the Opus#1.  The i5 is not really inferior or superior overall, just a completely different sound signature.

Another vote for opus 1 big soundstage.

I agree with these guys. I really like i5, but Opus #1 certainly has it beat in the soundstage department.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #3,115 of 3,742
Earlier this week I listened again to the Opus #1. Actually I was in the store for checking out the N3 as I was thinking of sidegrading (I really did not make
out any noticeable difference between N3 and i5 in the sound department). 

But now I am again intrigued to perhaps switch to the Opus #1....

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #3,116 of 3,742
Earlier this week I listened again to the Opus #1. Actually I was in the store for checking out the N3 as I was thinking of sidegrading (I really did not make

Join the team, bro. Opus #1 is really good!

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,117 of 3,742

Will try the opus 1 and post the results. How about the software on Opus1? are there any known issues?

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #3,118 of 3,742
Will try the opus 1 and post the results. How about the software on Opus1? are there any known issues?

It's pretty simplistic user interface without the level of customization present in the i5. One nitpick with Opus #1 is that once the screen is off, you can press Pause but you need to wake the screen up to Play again. That's just plain annoying. Other than that, it's pretty frustration free.

Oh yeah, one more thing... Opus #1 can only output 16/44 in USB DAC mode. So no hi-res playback in USB DAC mode :frowning2:

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #3,119 of 3,742

IMO, Opus#1 has one of the most user-friendly UIs I have used in a touchscreen DAP.  Simplistic and no nonsense operation.  I love the play button function in each far end of a folder.  I can play an entire artist folder, an album, a song.  Supports playlists or mark each song as a favorite.  It's just hard to fault.  Well, this is just my opinion, others may be wanting a more complicated UI but I don't.  Before I get scolded by mods for being off topic, I'd like to mention the comparison to i5's software and navigation.  The i5 is more buggy, old OS, slower, more places to navigate to get to some functions, which I hated.  Again, JMO, you guys may prefer differently.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #3,120 of 3,742
Are there any DAPs that do random or shuffle album? 

Random album is something I first used with a Squeezebox Classic and I like it a lot, playing a complete album then waiting a few seconds to see what the next one will be is a nice feature.

Random album is available in foobar, which of course can be downloaded to DAPs such as the i5 but I'm wondering if random album is, in theory, possible in a firmware update to any DAP thus becoming a selectable option in the device itself, same as random song tends to be?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back