Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jun 23, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #3,961 of 5,394
...And though Ken Ball's unintentional deviousness to make perfectly complementing IEM's with the Andromeda and the Vega does make me want to only buy the Andromeda next, I have not had the thought of getting or searching for new IEM's. Now, there is a financial reason to that, too, but it only crosses my mind when wise alec's like @thatonenoob write compellingly valid sense to do so.

I have seen other threads where people buy several entry level/mid tier products that they almost know aren't going to reach a point they are searching for, yet are empirically ignorant of, that CA IEM's provide in one package and more generally so with the TOTL models.

It's really hard to believe how new the CA lineup is.

The Andro and Vega are very complementary tunings, and work wonderfully well as two sides to the same sonic coin - stuff that doesn't necessarily play to the strengths of one IEM will almost certainly be bang in the middle of the other unit's comfort zone.

That being said, both share similarities in terms of the tuning approach, so if you aren't a fan of the Andro, you aren't guaranteed to like the Vega, and vice versa. Fans of a more technical or clinical sound may prefer other flagships, but for fans of a musical approach to presenting sound, I will admit that the CA line is very hard to beat for pure enjoyment. I'm trying to write up some comparisons on my Zeus-XR and the Andromeda at the moment (still need to get the Andro review written at some point too) and both are mind blowingly good but very different in approach, and despite the difference in price, it usually comes down to my overall mood and what I want to hear as to which IEM I feel like listening to.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,962 of 5,394
The Andro and Vega are very complementary tunings, and work wonderfully well as two sides to the same sonic coin - stuff that doesn't necessarily play to the strengths of one IEM will almost certainly be bang in the middle of the other unit's comfort zone.

That being said, both share similarities in terms of the tuning approach, so if you aren't a fan of the Andro, you aren't guaranteed to like the Vega, and vice versa. Fans of a more technical or clinical sound may prefer other flagships, but for fans of a musical approach to presenting sound, I will admit that the CA line is very hard to beat for pure enjoyment. I'm trying to write up some comparisons on my Zeus-XR and the Andromeda at the moment (still need to get the Andro review written at some point too) and both are mind blowingly good but very different in approach, and despite the difference in price, it usually comes down to my overall mood and what I want to hear as to which IEM I feel like listening to.

The Zeus definitely looks like an interesting one. At this point with my lineup I'd go for the Andro first.

I think the uniqueness of the Vega and the capability that the dynamic driver brings to the table is worth having if it fits one's preferences. Then as @thatonenoob pointed at, complementing it with the Andro provides a complete collection.

I'd say if you're not interested in the Vega, the Zeus would be an intriguing way to go, especially if you have the finances.

The Andro does have a new award emblem on it on the CA website so it's still making noise. And for Sparkle fans (I am one of them) it provides a good option that doesn't have hotness or treble peaks you have to worry about that you see in lower tier IEM's.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #3,964 of 5,394
@Indigo Bob it is indeed a great complement, which may make some wallets sad.

It's already sad cuz it knows what it's gonna spend it's money on next lol

Unless Ken Ball comes out with something new that throws the cosmos out of order again.

At the rate he's been going he's due to come out with a new IEM that will shift the skies around at least.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #3,965 of 5,394
So I have about 45 hours burned in on the Vega's. Can't say I notice a large difference in burn in, but something makes me think it is working somewhat, however, I honestly can't verify it cuz they sound is so good.

And what I mean by that is, sometimes I am expecting more bass out of a song that has bass, but it turns out not to be so because the Vega is so true to the recording and only delivers the bass that is called in the manner and nature it is called upon rather than producing it all the time or continuously forwardly. I'd call this a Nontraditional Bass or a Mature Bass. And the rest of the sound signature produces the sound in the same manner: When called upon, A Mature Sound Signature.

And it is wonderful to hear a mature sound signature with this level of emotional engagement that has the same characteristic. I have heard emotional IEM's that were always emotional, but the Vega's have that dynamic capacity to provide the emotion to the degree that the song delivers.

I have artist's, one in particular, SALES, with a female pop lead vocalist and instrument accompaniment that is not that emotional and in fact laid back, and the Vega delivers that laidbackness as if I'm sittin' with Mary Jane by the fireside. Nothin' heavy about it.

And though Ken Ball's unintentional deviousness to make perfectly complementing IEM's with the Andromeda and the Vega does make me want to only buy the Andromeda next, I have not had the thought of getting or searching for new IEM's. Now, there is a financial reason to that, too, but it only crosses my mind when wise alec's like @thatonenoob write compellingly valid sense to do so.

I have seen other threads where people buy several entry level/mid tier products that they almost know aren't going to reach a point they are searching for, yet are empirically ignorant of, that CA IEM's provide in one package and more generally so with the TOTL models.

It's really hard to believe how new the CA lineup is.

One thing I would recommend is tip rolling. These sound different with different tips. Foams give good bass but soundstage and placement is compromised. The best experience I had was with standard silicones and spinfits.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #3,966 of 5,394
One thing I would recommend is tip rolling. These sound different with different tips. Foams give good bass but soundstage and placement is compromised. The best experience I had was with standard silicones and spinfits.
I agree. Tips make a difference. I've never been a fan of foam tips because for me I find they lose their expandability after only a few uses and I don't like having to purchase replacement tips. I use the medium SpinFit tips with my Lyra IIs and they sound great and are comfortable enough I could easily wear them all day. In fact when I emailed Campfire Audio customer service and said I didn't like the foam tips what do you recommend they replied to go with the SpinFits.

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #3,967 of 5,394

I do agree with you.

Trying the Vega's out on Spinfits and Spiral Dots really does open up the instrument separation and articulation, as well as widening the soundstage a bit, but it also brings out a slight sibilance. Has this been known to decrease with burn in?

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #3,968 of 5,394
No other IEMs are that much fun to take photos of as Campfire's :ksc75smile:

For my full German review of the Vega go here: http://headflux.de/campfire-audio-vega/

Vega-web.jpg

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #3,969 of 5,394
Had to use google translate to read the review, which was excellent, but man oh man!! those pictures!! brilliant work mate.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #3,971 of 5,394
I do agree with you.

Trying the Vega's out on Spinfits and Spiral Dots really does open up the instrument separation and articulation, as well as widening the soundstage a bit, but it also brings out a slight sibilance. Has this been known to decrease with burn in?
What song is sibilant to you? I may give it a try. It may be an issue of source, dac, amp, resolution, etc. I had sibilance with iPhones but with proper dap, no issues.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #3,972 of 5,394
What song is sibilant to you? I may give it a try. It may be an issue of source, dac, amp, resolution, etc. I had sibilance with iPhones but with proper dap, no issues.

Jesca Hoop - The lost sky (ALAC)

Kelly Lee Owens - 8 (ALAC)

I use the FiiO X3ii as a source. Rigged up to the Alo Rx amp the sound is enhanced tremendously, but the Sibilance is there only using silicone tips. It is slight. Not a lot compared to other IEM's I have tried, but it is apparent with silicone tips.

I was concerned about my source. A budget level source with aTOTL IEM that is known to be source picky.

I do really like the change in sound the silicone ear tips provide.

I am normally very treble sensitive to any IEM, but the Vega's are wonderful in that regard.

I still do need to Burn In the Vega and am curious how much of a change that will provide to the sound.

I don't experience sibilance with Comply's nor the Foam tips provided. This is the first I've heard it.

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #3,974 of 5,394
Jun 25, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #3,975 of 5,394
Slightly less impressive than @ExpatinJapan 's setup, but I have been finding some very amenable noises coming out of this pairing over the weekend. Will be very sorry to see the demo unit go back in a few weeks time - it pairs absolutely superbly with the Andromeda.
IMG_20170625_204911301.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back