Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Sep 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,261 of 1,332
Sounds like they might be a good match for my sx-1250.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #1,264 of 1,332
My lovely vintage Sony SS-G7a 15 inch woofers yet the midrange is to die for.
Soundstage fit for a Super Bow

l

I like the speaker stands.  Very nice!

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,265 of 1,332
Thanks the speaker stands were made by Setty (of Paul Masion furniture) a master furniture maker here in Sydney he is semi retired. The design is very similar to the speaker stands which came with the NSX10000 limited edition Yamahas

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,266 of 1,332

Yamaha NS-2000 heaven - they are 33 years old and they are fantastic - easily match 30k speakers I have heard for transparency, dynamics, timing and speed. They have the clarity of electrostatic speekers & yet the're bass response is not lacking at all.
One of the biggest bargains ever in audio IMO

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #1,267 of 1,332
Quick question: what is the general consensus on the Infinity Qa speakers? I recently got handed down a pair from a friend who found them at a Goodwill. I haven't tried them out yet since my Marantz 2220b is being cleaned and repaired right now. They have Infinity's famous tweeters from the looks of it, but are they worth keeping or refurbishing? Silly question I know, so please forgive me.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,268 of 1,332
Try them out. They are decent speakers for sure if fully functional.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,269 of 1,332
  Quick question: what is the general consensus on the Infinity Qa speakers? I recently got handed down a pair from a friend who found them at a Goodwill. I haven't tried them out yet since my Marantz 2220b is being cleaned and repaired right now. They have Infinity's famous tweeters from the looks of it, but are they worth keeping or refurbishing? Silly question I know, so please forgive me.

Qa http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity/Qa.html  is a very nice speaker. It likes being pushed by a powerful amp - and your Marantz is at the lowest power output recommended by Infinity for this speaker, 15-150 W RMS. 

So, not to be true to your name on head-fi, a word of wisdom. Back in the day (late 70s), a friend had Qa speakers - and a small amplifier, around the spec for your Marantz. Long story short - he blew the EMIT tweeters a few times due to amplifier clipping - ALL the distortion of a heavily clipped signal results in tons and tons of harmonics of the original signal ( usually some kick bass drum and similar ) - ALL landing on the poor tweeter. Although EMIT is tougher than most, it is not indestructible. Back then, it was  ( writing to Infinity for an invoice, scraping together the money, buying the hard currency ( that was in Yugoslavia) , paying trough bank, waiting and paying for the customs - before the EMITs could be rebuild and playing again - the whole process took using snail mail some 2 months) relatively easy - no idea how it is today with EMIT replacement diaphragms vintage say 1977. You can always use conductive glue/paint for minor repairs - but it will no longer be the same speaker.

Then this friend got Marantz DC 170 power amp (and its preamp - 150 W RMS or so ) ) - and no time this combo has been in his possession, did the EMITs go to the hounting grounds again. Despite we were not exactly easy on the volume knob for quite a few times - to this day I can remember one Yes "session" that did surpass anything usually thought of as being "normal" - but it was pure, unbridled fun
biggrin.gif

Long story even shorter - try to get something more powerful to drive the Qa's. Despite being the smallest/cheapest speaker in the Infinity line, it was STILL a relatively large speaker by today's standards - so treating it with some due respect definitely is in order.

BEFORE you fry the EMITs...

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,270 of 1,332
Recently got my Dad's old setup running. McIntosh C26 preamp, McIntosh MC2105 power amp, and Magnepan Tympani 1D speakers. The preamp is a bit screwed up (volume pot has a lot of noise on it and channel imbalance), but the power amp and speakers work flawlessly. My Bifrost through a SYS into the system is pretty incredible. The soundstage, obviously, is absolutely monstrous. The only thing I'm missing is some extra dynamic impact, which I know planars lack, but the newer 1.7 Magnepan speakers definitely have a better sense of impact over these guys. Still, liquid smooth and MONSTROUS sound from these guys. Really enjoying it.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,271 of 1,332
  Recently got my Dad's old setup running. McIntosh C26 preamp, McIntosh MC2105 power amp, and Magnepan Tympani 1D speakers. The preamp is a bit screwed up (volume pot has a lot of noise on it and channel imbalance), but the power amp and speakers work flawlessly. My Bifrost through a SYS into the system is pretty incredible. The soundstage, obviously, is absolutely monstrous. The only thing I'm missing is some extra dynamic impact, which I know planars lack, but the newer 1.7 Magnepan speakers definitely have a better sense of impact over these guys. Still, liquid smooth and MONSTROUS sound from these guys. Really enjoying it.

WOW! What a nice system to inherit! Consider cleaning out the c-26 with some deoxit to help with the scratchiness and imbalances. It's a piece of cake on that unit, the hardest problem I had with mine was keeping the chrome chassis from getting deoxit schmutz on it.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,272 of 1,332
  WOW! What a nice system to inherit! Consider cleaning out the c-26 with some deoxit to help with the scratchiness and imbalances. It's a piece of cake on that unit, the hardest problem I had with mine was keeping the chrome chassis from getting deoxit schmutz on it.

Thanks! Luckily the inheritance is a living one. I'm taking the preamp to a stereo guru here in Eugene since my dad is also paying for the repair. I'm glad that I may not have to replace that volume pot.

Also, the headphone section on the MC2105 is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. It makes my LCD-2 sound scarily good. Its so good it actually pissed my girlfriend off. She really enjoys the LCD-2, but she said the level of realness with the MC2105 combo is so intense that she doesn't want to listen to her music any other way! She said she hates the fact that she has paid for all of this music and can't hear all of the detail without a system like this one.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,273 of 1,332
One interesting thing I have noticed lately is vintage audiophiles congregating at the vinyl records in Goodwill.  I tend to make a sweep through GW every week or so to look for vintage audio and embellish my record connection.  At that time I usually run into another audiophile perusing the records.  The subject of vintage and a general dislike for CDs will generally come up.  This past weekend a guy was telling me that someone just gave him a Sansui 9090 (I told him to hold on to it as it was a keeper).

I am building the original Leach phono stage so my interest in vinyl has been re-ignited.  I bought the boards from Professor Leach back in 1977 and just never got around to building them.  Anyway the power supply is nearing completion and the phono stage works.  Hoping that the better parts I am using will yield improved sound (all film caps for EQ and Elna Silmic II for coupling - toroid transformer to boot).  Going to set it up to run with dual mono PS so that should help.  Right now just running with one supply.  Having a great time with this.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,274 of 1,332
A craigslist find yesterday...................two Polk Audio M5JR bookshelfs from 1990 added to my family room system with the Pioneer SX-1050 driving them.  Very sweet sound and thump plenty good enough for me.  And meet the WAF.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,275 of 1,332
  A craigslist find yesterday...................two Polk Audio M5JR bookshelfs from 1990 added to my family room system with the Pioneer SX-1050 driving them.  Very sweet sound and thump plenty good enough for me.  And meet the WAF.

Those Polk Audio look sweet particularly when sitting alongside a SX-1050.

Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha NS-G40 speakers are any good for a vintage receiver setup? I know these are not exactly vintage speakers but I just thought I'd ask you clever folks.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back