Buying drivers/micro speakers for DIY headphones
Jul 9, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #32 of 48
@HawaiiR

This is a good idea. My AKG K240 uses a similar port, which I partially blocked to tune the sound. The K701 and other flagship headphones use this strategy as well. I'd recommend trying a few dampening mods first, then port the driver later if needed.

The pad size for the Shure SRH 750 is:

3.5" OD
2.25" ID
2.625" Mount ID

It has a fairly thick foam backing, so it will probably tune the sound pretty well for your application.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #33 of 48
One hole should be enough, too many holes will have too much bloated mid-bass, otherwise you can cover/repair the hole with some felt/paper tape.

Cool. I'll start with one hole and see how it goes.

@HawaiiR

This is a good idea. My AKG K240 uses a similar port, which I partially blocked to tune the sound. The K701 and other flagship headphones use this strategy as well. I'd recommend trying a few dampening mods first, then port the driver later if needed.

The pad size for the Shure SRH 750 is:

3.5" OD
2.25" ID
2.625" Mount ID

It has a fairly thick foam backing, so it will probably tune the sound pretty well for your application.

@Punnisher

Thanks. That's almost there. Do you mind sending me the dimensions of the SRH 550 pads? I think that might be closer in size to the originals.

3.5" OD
1.5" ID
3" Mount ID

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #34 of 48
you can check the way they do for car-hifi subwoofers.
There are pany ways to do with a subwoofer for bass response, from free air, simple closed(depending on chamber size), bass-reflex (diameter and lenght of the tube will change the response), then the way you can use several speakers( double close chamber, single close chamber, double vented chambers, push-pull etc etc, seems they use the same principle for balanced drivers in IEM)

here is a example of the bass response between vented (yellow, it creates a peak and doesn't go as low) and sealed subwoofer:

sub-caisson-mtx-big.jpg

I think it will give same kind of results depending on the diameter of your hole, the lenght of the tube (if you use one, as a vent), and the chamber volumy, you can adjust volumy using wool or felt to reduce the size of the room.
The main problem with earphone is the front of the speaker also has compression, unlike a car or home speaker where compression is mainly on the back, it means it's probably much more difficult to create a correct setting for a earphone speaker.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #35 of 48
@HawaiiR

I looked through my pads and I don't think I have them. I think the SRH750 pads would work well for you, unless the mount ID causes issues fitting the pads. Normally this isn't a huge issue. Would you be able to post a picture of the headphone cup without the pad? A side shot would be good so we can see where the pad mounts.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #37 of 48
I think the Shure 750 pads will work perfectly. Even though the material on the mounting side has a smaller ID than stock, it's flexible and should match up well. If not, it would be easy to remove some of the material and make the ID the same.

I will take some pictures of the pads I have so you can see what the differences are.

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #38 of 48
Well the people at Shure were quite unhelpful.

Me - "Hi, trying to find some earcups to replace my current ones on XYZ headphones. Here are the dimensions to mine. I believe there are a few of yours that could work. Could you please let me know if a) you have earcups to match (or come close) and b) what the dimensions to HPAEC550 Replacement Ear Cushions are?"

Them - "Highly unlikely that Shure earpads will properly work on another brand"

Wow, really? With that kinda attitude, I'm not entirely certain I want to buy anything from them. Maybe I'll start searching for some other suitable replacement options. SMH

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #39 of 48
Measure the pads sizes and compare them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ear+pad&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xear+pad+srh+750.TRS0&_nkw=ear+pad+srh+750&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ear+pad&_sop=15

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #40 of 48
Yep, done that. Just waiting to hear back from some sellers on both amazon and ebay. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #41 of 48
  you can check the way they do for car-hifi subwoofers.
There are pany ways to do with a subwoofer for bass response, from free air, simple closed(depending on chamber size), bass-reflex (diameter and lenght of the tube will change the response), then the way you can use several speakers( double close chamber, single close chamber, double vented chambers, push-pull etc etc, seems they use the same principle for balanced drivers in IEM)

here is a example of the bass response between vented (yellow, it creates a peak and doesn't go as low) and sealed subwoofer:

sub-caisson-mtx-big.jpg

I think it will give same kind of results depending on the diameter of your hole, the lenght of the tube (if you use one, as a vent), and the chamber volumy, you can adjust volumy using wool or felt to reduce the size of the room.
The main problem with earphone is the front of the speaker also has compression, unlike a car or home speaker where compression is mainly on the back, it means it's probably much more difficult to create a correct setting for a earphone speaker.

more similar design is "6th order bandpass subwoofer" as you have two chambers with speaker in the middle but you don't exactly listen to the vents in headphones, don't you?

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #42 of 48
Soooo, I ordered some pads off ebay. Apparently the 90mm Replacement Ear Pads Ear Cushion For Razer Kraken Game Headphones fit perfectly. Still waiting on the foam discs that @Punnisher recommended to do a proper sound assessment; I'll poke a hole in the driver then, too.

Initial impressions: 

Visual: They look way nicer, aside from the orange center, which I don't love. It's growing on me though.

Fit: live a glove

Comfort: ear pads feel WAY more comfy than the original ones that came with the headphones (tbh, almost everything about the original headphones are crap, aside from the wooden earcups).

Sound: not a thorough test, but generally speaking the bass response is noticeably better - I can actually hear some of the lower frequencies come through with the new pads, whereas with the original pads I couldn't (in regards to the new drivers I put in). Treble seems a bit less "sharp" as well. I'll do some more tests after I get those foam discs in; I think those should tame the highs nicely. 

Cost: $8 for the Kraken ear cushions vs. $20 for originals. 

Pics below:

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #43 of 48
where would i buy all the parts needed to make my own headphones and in ear headphones. i just like to make things but can't seem to find all the parts ifbyou can even buy all the parts that is

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #44 of 48
I'm trying to make my own sleep headphones.  Would anyone know where you could buy the usb wireless cable to hook up to the speakers.  Looking for the cable to have volume control

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #45 of 48
I've also spent ages hunting down parts and have made a pair using a 3D printed housing and baffle of my own design, plus the following parts:
  1. Dayton Audio CE38MB-32 drivers
  2. Bose QuietComfort QC15 QC2 replacement ear cushions off ebay (mainly because they are cheap and easy to find)
  3. Aluminium strip for the headband, in my case 20mm x 1.6mm from the local hadware store
  4. Sol Republic Master Tracks HD V8 V10 V12 X3 replacement cable off ebay
  5. 2x 2.5mm audio jacks for the Sol Republic cable - they have 2.5mm plugs on the headphone end, saving the need to strip wires

The Dayton drivers are easy to get (off Parts Express) and are good value. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back