Broke my Focal Elears :( - Replace them or upgrade to Utopia?
May 22, 2017 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Benz-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
Yesterday while chasing my dog around the house I knocked my Focal Elears off the table and then kicked them, a horrible chain of events that left one of my favorite pairs broken.

While looking around for a replacement pair of Elear I found a possible decent deal on Utopias which I have never heard but read about in the past, however since I do most of my listening through a portable set up I wanted to see if anyone that has actually heard both can tell me whether or not they think it's worth the extra money for the Utopia, or if they even sound similar to the Elear which I really like.

Any advice or opinions on Utopia via portable set up or a comparison between the two would be very helpful in my decision making.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 10
They do not sound alike. I have not heard them on a portable setup but I don't think they are to hard to drive. Just looked at the specs and at 80 ohm impedance and 104 db sensitivity they should be fine out of a portable but have not heard it out of one so can't be for certain but you would need a adapter or a different cable as it is terminated in 1/4" and not sure if a 1/8" is a option. They are one of my favorite headphones I've heard but don't want to drop that much coin on them . You might prefer the Elears to them I don't know but I definitely would pic them over the Elears in a heartbeat. The Elears are a bit warmer but the Utopia's do just about everything right IMO YMMV.

May 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the input Buke9. I decided I'm going to drive over to a store in Orlando over the weekend and listen to the Utopias before I make my decision. Reading about headphones can only go so far and I'm afraid that I will end up missing the Elears and regret spending the money. ...Ah decisions, decisions...

May 23, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the input Buke9. I decided I'm going to drive over to a store in Orlando over the weekend and listen to the Utopias before I make my decision. Reading about headphones can only go so far and I'm afraid that I will end up missing the Elears and regret spending the money. ...Ah decisions, decisions...

If you're going over to test them out... My condolences to your wallet, may it rest in peace...

May 23, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Well if you can listen first that is always the best thing to do. No place around me that has much of anything that's why I go to meets to try out new stuff and meet some really good people. Good luck.

May 23, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 10
The Utopia are my clear, clear preference when you are talking Elear vs Utopia--good as the Elear are. They are that good. Like @Dulalala said--regrets to your wallet. It's not too late to cancel your trip to Orlanda (hee hee).

May 24, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 10
Sounds like I should just own them... I found a good deal on them used in good condition for 2000 I hope I done misss out by waiting to hear them

For $2000 I would definitely buy them... As much as I love these headphones, I don't think I would go out and get them at retail (nor do I have the funds to). Though to be honest, if you haven't heard them, I don't recommend buying them blind. I would never buy any headphone blind at that sort of price point because I never know if I will like them or not. If you do enjoy them after the demo, $2000 is a swell deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back