Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,263 of 1,955
i am curious how p7 wireless compare to the new v moda one

i am in search for used p7 w pads to mod them as original pads are a bit uncomfortable

otherwise p7 w sounds amazing

on the other hand, does sony 1000x have a controlled bass and does it reach same loud level as p7w

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #1,264 of 1,955
Agree! My Bose QC35 "broke" after the update so that's why I bought the P7 today. It's sounds better and the passive NC is amazing.

Just a tiny correction - you mean Noise Isolation. Noise Cancelling is the active type :p

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #1,265 of 1,955
i am curious how p7 wireless compare to the new v moda one

i am in search for used p7 w pads to mod them as original pads are a bit uncomfortable

otherwise p7 w sounds amazing

on the other hand, does sony 1000x have a controlled bass and does it reach same loud level as p7w

I don't know what controlled bass means, more specifically compared to what? In any case, yeah, the 1000x has controlled bass, just like almost all high end headphones. More precisely, to compare it with the P7 as far as bass goes:

1000x: tightly controlled, precise, and goes really low
P7: fuller, a bit less controlled but in no way overblown or unpleasing, but on certain tracks, like some Tale of Us techno or Kiasmos, where there are section of a lot of sub bass, the P7 don't reproduce almost anything there, while the 1000x reproduces trembling sounds and vibration, you can feel the air. So it boils down to what you're listening to.

P7 is basically a V shaped fun headphone, not so analytic, but quite dynamic, but lacks in the sub bass (then again, not many music genres have sub bass, so you might not be affected at all). 1000x is somewhere at the limit between a V shaped fun sound and analytic. It sounds more even (almost equal attention is given to all the frequency ranges), and has amazing bass and sub bass reproduction capabilities, as well as sound-stage.

As far as loudness, as far as I remember they were pretty similar. However it depends what you want. None of them will blow your ears, they are both most probably intentionally toned down a bit from what the internal amp can output at the limit. Now if you want loud headphones because you generally have a lot of outside noise that you want to draw out, obviously get the 1000x. For that you need NC headphones - they basically sound louder in loud environments due to this function.

All the above is obviously based on my subjective appreciation. I went tot the store with the intent of dropping upwards of 400$ for a pair of headphones, listened to a bunch of them and found the 1000x superior, for my taste. Always test headphones before reaching a decision. We all have different sound signatures that we like.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #1,266 of 1,955
Just a tiny correction - you mean Noise Isolation. Noise Cancelling is the active type :p
Actually he is right in saying passive noise cancellation, since it is only depending on the earcups and pads to reduce outside noise(hence passive). Whereas active noise cancellation is what you are thinking of(1000x, QC35, PXC 550, etc), where the headphone produces a second sound signal(hence active) to "cancel" or counter the unwanted sound signals from outside world. :)
http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/What-is-passive-noise-cancellation

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,267 of 1,955
Personally I'd argue that blocking the sound, which is what isolation does, is quite a bit different to cancelling the sound where an opposite waveform of the noise is produced in such a way that when you sum them you ideally get zero.

But hey ho - Passive Noise Cancellation is used in headphone marketing literature - somewhat erroneously IMO,

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #1,268 of 1,955
Actually he is right in saying passive noise cancellation, since it is only depending on the earcups and pads to reduce outside noise(hence passive). Whereas active noise cancellation is what you are thinking of(1000x, QC35, PXC 550, etc), where the headphone produces a second sound signal(hence active) to "cancel" or counter the unwanted sound signals from outside world. :)
http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/What-is-passive-noise-cancellation

I definitely remember when reading about Noise Cancellation on an audiphile site that they separated it from the passive kind by calling it Cancellation vs Isolation. As Cancellation is an active action depending on some electronics, microphones, etc, and Isolation is what the P7 and all other closed back headphones do (to a degree or another), meaning use their construction and padding to Isolate you from the sound, although of course the results can't be compared to Noise Cancellation.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,269 of 1,955
Personally I'd argue that blocking the sound, which is what isolation does, is quite a bit different to cancelling the sound where an opposite waveform of the noise is produced in such a way that when you sum them you ideally get zero.

But hey ho - Passive Noise Cancellation is used in headphone marketing literature - somewhat erroneously IMO,

I definitely remember when reading about Noise Cancellation on an audiphile site that they separated it from the passive kind by calling it Cancellation vs Isolation. As Cancellation is an active action depending on some electronics, microphones, etc, and Isolation is what the P7 and all other closed back headphones do (to a degree or another), meaning use their construction and padding to Isolate you from the sound, although of course the results can't be compared to Noise Cancellation.

Well, I said he is right when I should have probably said that he is not wrong to use the term passive noise cancellation since, as mentioned, I have seen more than one user/site use passive noise cancellation headphones when referring to headphones without ANC. That said, I do agree that the proper term should be noise isolation but I don't think there is anything confusing when the term "passive noise cancellation" is used either, so... yeah.

Anyway, back on topic, despite my misgivings on the 1000x(see my previous post a few pages back), amazon.de's price drop make them attractive enough(got them for about 299euro thanks to a user who shared the deal on the 1000x thread) to buy one to test under my normal usage scenario instead of in a shop. I just received them and first impression is its ANC is miles ahead of the B&O H9 that I also own, and while I agree the P7 Wireless does a good job blocking out much of the outside noise(to my ears it is only slightly worse than the H9) it still doesn't compare to a proper ANC headphone. I still think the sound quality of the H9/P7 Wireless is better, maybe it is just a matter of getting to know it more, will test them more over the weeks. Weirdly though, and I don't know why, I do find the pair I received sounding better than the others that I tried at other shops - and I have tried a few at multiple locations. As for loudness, I don't think the Sony goes as loud as the P7. I am listening to maybe 40% volume on my iPhone 7 via bluetooth with the P7 Wireless while on the 1000x I am listening to maybe around 50-60%, but that should be plenty loud for most users, I cannot imagine listening to them on max volume!

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,270 of 1,955
Well, I said he is right when I should have probably said that he is not wrong to use the term passive noise cancellation since, as mentioned, I have seen more than one user/site use passive noise cancellation headphones when referring to headphones without ANC. That said, I do agree that the proper term should be noise isolation but I don't think there is anything confusing when the term "passive noise cancellation" is used either, so... yeah.

Anyway, back on topic, despite my misgivings on the 1000x(see my previous post a few pages back), amazon.de's price drop make them attractive enough(got them for about 299euro thanks to a user who shared the deal on the 1000x thread) to buy one to test under my normal usage scenario instead of in a shop. I just received them and first impression is its ANC is miles ahead of the B&O H9 that I also own, and while I agree the P7 Wireless does a good job blocking out much of the outside noise(to my ears it is only slightly worse than the H9) it still doesn't compare to a proper ANC headphone. I still think the sound quality of the H9/P7 Wireless is better, maybe it is just a matter of getting to know it more, will test them more over the weeks. Weirdly though, and I don't know why, I do find the pair I received sounding better than the others that I tried at other shops - and I have tried a few at multiple locations. As for loudness, I don't think the Sony goes as loud as the P7. I am listening to maybe 40% volume on my iPhone 7 via bluetooth with the P7 Wireless while on the 1000x I am listening to maybe around 50-60%, but that should be plenty loud for most users, I cannot imagine listening to them on max volume!

Yeah, I actually replied to you on the 1000x thread with my take on the P7/1000x comprison :).

The 1000x were weird for me before getting them. I tried them at a conference and did not like them at all, was quite surprised actually. Liked the 100ABN way better (which is the cheaper NC LDAC high res bt from sony).

Then I got them at a really good price, and I found them better than I remembered, but was still not impressed.

Then 1 month passed of almost daily listening and these headphones transformed into an almost completely different animal.

What I simply mean by that is, if ever there was a debate in my mind about whether the burn-in factur is fake news, I can safely tell you that with these headphones it definitely is NOT fake, and burning them in for about a month's worth of almost daily listen at work and on the commute, made them sound much more open, and even a bit louder.

They're certainly not as loud as the P7s, but 80 as loud. But they make up for the loudness with the NC, as in a noisy environment, the 1000x will sound louder due to that.

Back on the htread topic, P7s are the way to go if you're looing for a fun, v-shaped and louder-than-average sounding wireless headphone. If analytics, separation and precision you're after, the P7 are still great, but there are better wireless versions out there. I'm looking at the 1000xs, but also the 550PCX.

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #1,271 of 1,955
Hi guy's new owner of P7 wireless, coming from vmoda CFW. Bought these yesterday from john lewis in cardiff uk. The sound of these truly is stunning to my ears. Listening to Adele earlier out of curiosity and omg!!! I've been chasing this kind of sound since I got into audio, makes everything sound so lifelike in crystal clarity its pretty nuts....

Now.... it's got me thinking how does the P9 sound and how much better isit??? Anyone?

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,272 of 1,955
If you use the B&W P7 wired, than it sounds similar to the P9 except for the bigger soundstage and more open sounding. The B&W P7 Wireless in wired mode sounds more closed / congested.

So the P9 is better, but are you willing to give up bluetooth capabilities and less isolation for it.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,273 of 1,955
If I had the p9 then I would keep my P7 for walking around outside/listening on the way to work etc and the P9 would be my home HP. Does the P7 wireless sound congested??? To my ears it sounded quite live and spacious.

Does the sound change much if played through a chord mojo and Tidal?

Cheers for reply

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #1,274 of 1,955
I only tested the B&W P7 Wireless (in wired mode) against the B&W P9 on my iPhone 6S plus, so I have no idea how it sounds on the Chord Mojo.

The B&W P7 does have a big soundstage for a closed headphone, but you'll hear the limitations when you listen to the B&W P9.

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #1,275 of 1,955
Well.... I finished my night shift, immediately grabbed the mojo and the p7W. Plugged in, hit play...

Ed sheeran sounds ridiculous at how amazing he sounds. I mean, these HP's just made me realise what these products do for eachother.

Literally, the realism and articulation that comes out of these headphones is nuts.

This sucks, Im just not going to enjoy my other gear after experiencing this. I've listened to various music I wouldnt listen to just to experience the sonics!

Awesome purchase!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back