Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2
Jul 15, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #286 of 300
here's a tip: fit them with replacement pads for the P7 wireless. The P7W comes with memory foam pads
Haven't found any for p7,
Could you post pic or link?

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #287 of 300
Jul 19, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #288 of 300
I have completed my "over-ear" re tune, damping mod on the P5 and can dare say it better than most headphones and P7.
Tremendous bass and clarity with a smooth clear treble.

It is now the sleekest lowest profile over ear headphones.
Will post sometime this week once I do a write up.

Hi! Could you please post details of your mod?

Thanks.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #289 of 300
I had two P7 since then and they both were broken and I made one out two, and it was a high quality sound with a great signature and great top end.

The P5 mod involve recreation of the same port and reflex design that the P7 has, with using the pad upgrade.

So first get the pad upgrade to over ear.

The newer P5 & P7 have basically similar drivers,
and very much like biocellulous drivers of dennon/fostex type,
because they have similar stiff paper type material with an edge surround,
Like a real speaker...

Not like almost all the other headphones with cheap plastic see thru flexing drivers.
This gives B&W cans a more true sonic image .

I will post mod soon as it is straight forward,
and all you need is the new over ear pads, and then some cloth surgical tape from nearest local pharmacy.
I will post the mod it very straight forward.
The over ear pads for P5 can be ordered both on Amazon and on ebay.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #290 of 300
I had two P7 since then and they both were broken and I made one out two, and it was a high quality sound with a great signature and great top end.

The P5 mod involve recreation of the same port and reflex design that the P7 has, with using the pad upgrade.

So first get the pad upgrade to over ear.

The newer P5 & P7 have basically similar drivers,
and very much like biocellulous drivers of dennon/fostex type,
because they have similar stiff paper type material with an edge surround,
Like a real speaker...

Not like almost all the other headphones with cheap plastic see thru flexing drivers.
This gives B&W cans a more true sonic image .

I will post mod soon as it is straight forward,
and all you need is the new over ear pads, and then some cloth surgical tape from nearest local pharmacy.
Great. I look forward to details of the full mod once you are ready. Appreciate your help.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #291 of 300
Hey!

I just got the P5 S2 for just south of 120 EUR and am very impressed with quality and sound on them. Right now I am looking for a mobile solution.

Surprisingly for an on-ear design they are very comfortable. The only current gripe I have is that the ear pads tend to slide when you look down, which is rather annoying.

So here are three questions, especially regarding the mod ear pads off Amazon.

A) Is the headband malleable, so that enough inward flexing makes it fit tighter?

B) Do you need to mod the third party pads or are they basically good to go from the start?

C) Does the headphone still "fold" and fit into the carrying pouch when the new pads are on?

Any help on this is appreciated.

Bye!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #292 of 300
A- you may not need to flex once you get the over ear pads.

B- sound is still good buy of course the potential is open to get better.

C- yes they fold just fine but not sure about your pouch

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #294 of 300
Nov 30, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #296 of 300

Im very Interested in your mod! Is there any new news about it. Would be very nice. Thx

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #297 of 300
Dec 11, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #298 of 300
Jan 9, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #299 of 300
Got the P5 II for 90 Euros. Soundwise I am quite happy using this as my first pair of over-ears with the ablet pads. However, I would like to lessen the clamping as suggested in this thread. Can I overdo it? So far I have been using the box the headphones came in for about 2 hours.

Jan 14, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #300 of 300
I just want anyone here to confirm that I'm not stupid. Some days ago, I've got a revelation. I explain... I've always been disliking the sound of my P5's, founding it too dark, and way too bass-heavy. I was tempted more than once to cut the leather on the pads to let go more highs. But retracted myself each time. And, last day, I made some experimentation, like putting the headphones backward... or maybe sideward (L on R, and R on L). This resulted in some more highs and air to the sound, but just a little. After that, I decided to put the earpads backward, the leather side against the driver and the plastic side against my ears. Confort wise, you got it, that's painful after minutes only, but the sound... wow! That bring a major difference. I don't know if it's placebo or a real effect. Maybe my tragus was too much in the way of the sound and the pads kinda close it by putting pressure, but there was definitely a difference in the sound. A good one that is. So, please, can someone try this, and confirm that this is not only an illusion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back