Blade Runner and dark atmosphere music
Dec 23, 2016 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

xrayman

Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I am sure there are some people on that board who are fond of Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis, which is absolutely brilliant.  With the new Blade Runner 2049 movie (see trailer below), I hope the new soundtrack by Jóhann Jóhannsson will be refreshing with some new rich textures.  

Now I am wondering if you are other recommendations for music revolving around a dark atmosphere a la Blade Runner.  I know a few soundtracks or albums that could fit with such an atmosphere:

Ghost in the Shell soundtrack
Owl Splinters by Deaf Center (very dark and combinations of ambient/drone/classical instruments such as piano or cello) => really worth to listen to it

Time Spent

The Day I Would Never Have

In any events, let me know what you think of Blade runner (movie and soundtrack), and if you have any other recommendations, please share this in this thread. I will keep sharing some of my discoveries here.

Cheers,

Max

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 45
One of the all time classic sound tracks - so incredibly textured and atmospheric. It's a large part of what makes the film so great I think. I'll be interested to see 2049, but it's got big boots to fill. For me, Blade Runner is probably the best sci-fi ever made, absolute 10 out of 10 film.

In terms of anything else like the soundtrack, you could go down the dark ambient / drone route but often there's very little light in the darkness and the thing about Vangelis's Blade Runner OST, it does have lighter or at least contemplative moments. In terms of synth soundtracks, Tangerine Dream made some good ones - Firestarter, Wavelength, Thief, Sorcerer and my personal favourite, The Park Is Mine. More recently, Steve Moore's soundtrack for The Guest, Disasterpeace's for It Follows and Rob's soundtrack to Maniac were all really good too. Then there's Brian Eno's evergreen Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks...

Away from OSTs, I think Tim Hecker and Ben Frost's work has a dark cinematic quality to it, particularly Hecker's Ravedeath 1972, but Ben Frost's By The Throat has some fantastic sonic textures going on as well:

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 45
Really love the Blade Runner soundtrack and some of Vangelis other work... trying my hardest to avoid the new trailers though! I thought Johannsons soundtrack for Arrival was really interesting.

Fond of Cliff Martinez work- the soundtrack for Solaris and Narc in particular

Popol Vuh' and In the Nursery have made some great darker soundtracks as well.

I suppose for dark sounds there's always Lustmord... plus he's been at it for like 40 years now so there's plenty of material lol

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 45
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/6jXbnydhNjU[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/U__lpPDTUS4[/VIDEO]

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 45
IMO,All along the watch tower by Bear McCreary in BSG was pretty stunning as well. Sorry, posting from mobile, don't know how embed the video.

EDIT:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BigolJfoANw[/VIDEO]

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 45
This is actually from a video game, lightly based on an incredible film of the same name. Not the *highest* quality but still good.
Have not actually played this game, and was searching for the OST to the film, but figured what the hell? I don't know as of this writing who the composer is but, IMO, this is decent work.

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 45
Hey guys,

This is lovely to get so many feedback and suggestions.  Once I am back home, I will listen to all of your suggested music.   Please feel free to add more suggestions.  

Happy Holidays,

Max

Dec 25, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 45
Messages from Earth - Christopher Franke & Berlin Symphonic

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #15 of 45
  Then there's Brian Eno's evergreen Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks...

Away from OSTs, I think Tim Hecker and Ben Frost's work has a dark cinematic quality to it, particularly Hecker's Ravedeath 1972

Yes, that Apollo soundtrack is an amazing piece of work.  Love that. 

I am now listening to Tim Hecker's Ravedeath 1972...very nice thus far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back