Beyerdynamic T1 - Completely Unimpressed
Dec 12, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 34
These two headphones aren't in the same class. The T1 is technically far superior (though this doesn't mean that everyone will prefer it), and as others have mentioned, it requires a lot more power than your Mojo. Arniesb made a good point about the amp not being enough to drive the HD650 to its fullest potential either.

I don't know if any portable amp will do the T1 justice.

The Mojo is a great little amp for IEMs and sensitive cans like the TH-900.

May 26, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #17 of 34
Hi I would just like to add my 2 cents,

Mojo:

1. bullet.gif
    TECHNICAL SPECS:
  2. bullet.gif
    Output Power @ 1kHz
  3. bullet.gif
    600 ohms 35mW
  4. bullet.gif
    8 ohms 720mW
  5. bullet.gif
    Output Impedance: 0.075 ohms
  6. bullet.gif
    Dynamic Range: 125dB
  7. bullet.gif
    THD @ 3v - 0.00017%

Now 35mW at 600 Ohm (T1) is not a lot...

As others suggested you really need a dedicated desktop amp to got with high end headphones like that, tube or solid state providing it outputs enough power.

I have listened to both versions of the T1 and they work very well out of OTL Tube headphone amps including the Feliks Audio Espressivo and Elise.
They also work well out of the Matrix HPA-2C.

Also another point to add is that the Mojo is classed as quite a warm DAC, which would not compliment the T1 2nd Generation as they have a slightly warm sound signature. This would explain what you are hearing.

You most likely didn't read up much on the synergy of the 2, and thus have been underwhelmed, but if you get the chance, listen to the T1 out of a good amp and you may hear them differently.

Synergy is very important between headphones and amps/DACs.

Beyerdynamic A2 amp (built for the T1) outputs 100 mW / 600 Ω, go figure. The Mojo is great for a portable device but is not made to drive 600 ohm headphones like the T1.

I have the same setup, almost, T1v1 with a Chord Mojo. When I listen to the T1s through the Mojo I hear distortion in the treble, does anyone think that the problem is lack of power, or do you think I have at least one busted driver?

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 34
I have the same setup, almost, T1v1 with a Chord Mojo. When I listen to the T1s through the Mojo I hear distortion in the treble, does anyone think that the problem is lack of power, or do you think I have at least one busted driver?
Mojo is a "portable" dac/amp, for travel it is a magic amp, not for driving T1.

May 26, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 34
Hey all,

This is a hard one for me to write about. Recently I picked up a Chord Mojo in anticipation for some Beyerdynamic T1 (gen2) I got used for a good price on ebay. I have owned a pair of HD650s that I love dearly and the Chord Mojo took everything I was less than impressed with about the HD650 and removed it. The Chord Mojo is simply stunning. When I received my T1s yesterday, with great excitement I plugged them in and started listening. I was completely unimpressed. They appear to lack detail in every capacity, have less deep bass (tested this with some tones), rolled off flat boring highs, lack detail and sensitivity, and have some not to pleasant unmatched drivers in the high range (above 6khz there is imbalance at various frequencys). I tested the HD650 in the same way and heard far more clarity, less enjoyable soundstage, but in every other capacity the HD650 beat out the T1. The unmatched tones were much MUCH less so. I also noticed a slight right bias on the center image, which i discovered how picky the T1 is with cup placement on your head. I have to have them akwardly pushed back (so my ear is closer to the driver) on the left than on the right. While the sound and clarity changes significantly when moving them around, I could never come close to the HD650 in clarity and upper response.

Has anyone else had this experience? I purchased the T1 thinking this was going to be end game for me for the next 5 years, as the HD650 has been for me the past 5.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinion? There's no chance in these being fake from what I can read and observe, but it was a thought because of how underwhelmed I am. On day 2 now, I experience the same thing.
All I can say is please drive T1 with a more capable amp instead of mojo. You can complement T1 with a warm tube amp and then you will start to hear magic sounds. People may ask you to buy a WooAudio WA22 but not really necessary. You can get a iFi iDSD BL to drive T1 with satisfied results if with limited budgets. Mojo is just way too hyped, it is not an omni-amp. I use mojo with iems, it is very compatible with my Andromeda. I have both HD650 and T1 in front of me now and just A-B listened to them. There is no way HD650 is better than T1 unless your T1 is broken or fake.

May 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #20 of 34
Yeah, it sounds like you have an underpowered amp. These babies need some juice! The headphones you described sound nothing like my favorite babies (that I am actually listening with as I type this response to you). These are the best headphones I've ever heard with so much detail, instrument separation and clarity. And when you said lacking bass you totally lost me. I'm using a Garage1217 Project Ember tube amp (forget the tube I'm using at the moment as I rotate the tubes from time to time). The sound is sublime!!

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #22 of 34
I own the T1 v2 and can confirm that the mojo does not cut it with these. I also owned an A2 and Hugo as my desktop setup and the difference was very noticeable.

I now have an RME ADI-2.pro and it's a sublime combo with the T1. My end game for sure.

Bottom line, like may have said, Power!

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #24 of 34
Recently purchased the T1.2 and HD800S just so I have a good comparison. Based on my listening on both the Mojo (which is probably underpower for T1.2) and Schiit Joutenheim, I would echo the OT's opinion on T1.2 Totally unimpressed by the sound even on Joutenheim on high gain, perhaps a more expensive and more powerful amp/dac than that Joutenheim might do the trick but then again HD800s was a world of difference to me even using the same setup, so much more clarity, separation and better sound stage. Even compare to my K3003 I find the sound signature on T1.2 lacking. This might all have to do with the hard to drive nature of T1.2 but then again sound signature is a very subjective thing and I guess I like the airyness and wider sound stage sound of HD800S much better and I also don't find the bass really lacking in comparison to T1.2 either. IT's too bad I didn't like the T1.2 especially since it's almost half the price brand new compare to HD800s..

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #25 of 34
Recently purchased the T1.2 and HD800S just so I have a good comparison. Based on my listening on both the Mojo (which is probably underpower for T1.2) and Schiit Joutenheim, I would echo the OT's opinion on T1.2 Totally unimpressed by the sound even on Joutenheim on high gain, perhaps a more expensive and more powerful amp/dac than that Joutenheim might do the trick but then again HD800s was a world of difference to me even using the same setup, so much more clarity, separation and better sound stage. Even compare to my K3003 I find the sound signature on T1.2 lacking. This might all have to do with the hard to drive nature of T1.2 but then again sound signature is a very subjective thing and I guess I like the airyness and wider sound stage sound of HD800S much better and I also don't find the bass really lacking in comparison to T1.2 either. IT's too bad I didn't like the T1.2 especially since it's almost half the price brand new compare to HD800s..

It's a shame you don't have a nice OTL tube amp to try with the T1 2nd Generation, I found they sound best out of one.

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #26 of 34
Yeah would probably sound better with a good tube amp, I think T1.2 really does need a really a good source and upstream to sound decent even then I fear it doesn't match up to my sound preference since I generally like a leaner more analytical sound with focus in separation, sound stage than warmth. Doesn't tube amp generally color the sound to be more on the warm side?

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #27 of 34
Yeah would probably sound better with a good tube amp, I think T1.2 really does need a really a good source and upstream to sound decent even then I fear it doesn't match up to my sound preference since I generally like a leaner more analytical sound with focus in separation, sound stage than warmth. Doesn't tube amp generally color the sound to be more on the warm side?

It highly depends on the tube amp, and tube combinations. Some are highly detailed with only a touch of warmth.

T1 2nd gen paired with the Feliks audio Elise is one of the best combo's I've heard

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #28 of 34
The T1s are pretty easy to drive. The mojo has plenty of power; It outputs can output over 5V rms which enough for 119dB. I don't drive mine much over 2V (both volume balls blue), which would give 110dB.

please drive T1 with a more capable amp instead of mojo. You can complement T1 with a warm tube amp

This sums it up really. It's not about having a 'more capable amp', it's about having one that sounds different, and which you prefer - for example, a warm tube amp. This would be objectively worse (you could say less capable), but subjectively better. It seems strange to buy headphones which you don't like and then spend a lot of money on different amps and dacs to change the sound.

-Mark.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #29 of 34
The T1s are pretty easy to drive. The mojo has plenty of power; It outputs can output over 5V rms which enough for 119dB. I don't drive mine much over 2V (both volume balls blue), which would give 110dB.

This sums it up really. It's not about having a 'more capable amp', it's about having one that sounds different, and which you prefer - for example, a warm tube amp. This would be objectively worse (you could say less capable), but subjectively better. It seems strange to buy headphones which you don't like and then spend a lot of money on different amps and dacs to change the sound.

-Mark.

Ok maybe it technically has enough power, but it's not a good match. Audio gear is about synergy, the T1's are very amp dependent and if you hear them on a system that is not to your liking it is easy to dismiss them as bad headphones. Which they are not, they may not be to everyone's liking but until you have tried them with a few amps I say give them a chance.

The same with the HD800.

I think very few people would make their mind up on an expensive headphone after listening to it out of one device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back