Beyerdynamic T1 cable connection mod
Oct 14, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #16 of 35
How would this mod have effect on the sound if it is used with a Meier Concerto with active balanced ground? 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #17 of 35
I think the only way to know how the mod sounds with the Concerto is to try it. I suspect you will hear a difference since you are only removing the shield from the 6.5mm plug. The ground and all other wires remain in place.

Not much of an engineer so I really can't explain why or how this mod works. I can only say that it was easy to complete and the difference is noticeable.

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #18 of 35
I just tried this mod and it worked brilliantly.  Before the mod, the T1's had a bit of grittiness to the mids and highs, and it smoothed out quite a bit after the mod.  Thanks!!

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #19 of 35
Hi,

i would disconnect the shield only at the driver, not at the jack !
So the cable is fully shielded.
Loosing the shield only on the end side, not  at the source-side  !
Pseudo symmetrical cables are made so.That's the better way :wink:

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
Is T1 original cable  good enough?
I have some supra loudspeakercable i don't use. 2 pair 3meter.
Is this project of any use?

Do not expect any improvement by changing the T1 stock-cable. It is one of the best cables on headphones you can get IMHO.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
Hi,

i would disconnect the shield only at the driver, not at the jack !
So the cable is fully shielded.
Loosing the shield only on the end side, not  at the source-side  !
Pseudo symmetrical cables are made so.That's the better way :wink:

Is is even connected at the driver?  If it's configured as an extra ground on the plug side I kinda doubt it.  This just seems to me to be one of those times where you aren't really doing anything.  I mean, this capacitance wouldn't even be in series with what's going on.  

BTW, in case you hadn't figured it out by now I'm a cable curmudgeon, I don't buy into simple conductors having any effect.  

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #23 of 35
Imho, disconnecting shields from the source plug is a mistake in terms of shield function...disconnecting from the speaker and leaving connection at the source would effectively create a "drain".

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #25 of 35
There is no industry standard for the use of 4 pin XLR connectors for headphone use. For example, one use is for powered microphones where two lines are the signal and the other 2 lines are the power. How you hook them up for headphone use would be completely dependent on the amp output that you were using. For reference, I am attaching the XLR-4 output jack pinouts for Sennheiser's HDVD800 headphone DAC/amp. I have no knowledge of why they did it that way. In some multi channel circuits, I've seen the second circuit with R+ on 4 and R- on 3 so go figure.

In any event, to include the modification that was mentioned by the OP on this thread, you just don't connect the shields (screens) to the ground tab on the XLR connector. This is what I'm using on my T1s right now and I've created a XLR-4 to stereo phone plug adapter for other applications.

So the HDVD800 headphone outputs look like:

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #26 of 35

Is is even connected at the driver?  If it's configured as an extra ground on the plug side I kinda doubt it.  This just seems to me to be one of those times where you aren't really doing anything.  I mean, this capacitance wouldn't even be in series with what's going on.  

BTW, in case you hadn't figured it out by now I'm a cable curmudgeon, I don't buy into simple conductors having any effect.  

actually seems that it is in parallel with the circuit, not series.  capacitors in parallel are additive. Cp = C1 + C2 where C1 is the capacitance between the driver (+) wire and the (-) wire while C2 is the capacitance between the (+) wire and the shield assuming the shield and the (-) are connected at the plug.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/capacitors-parallel-series-d_1388.html

Still nervous about taking apart my expensive headphones jack to try this but in theory it seems legit.  Anyone else try this?  Looking for a consensus before doing it myself.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #27 of 35

HI
IT RELY WORK ON MY T1 MORE AIR TO THE MIDS  HIGH  AND LOW BASS WENDERFULL SOUNDSTEG

THANK YOU

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 35
Why only Beyer T1?  What about other headphones?

The shield is connected to L- and R- in all single ended terminations, and this is a standard for all SE terminations with shielded cable.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #30 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back