Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO! 250 ohm, 32 ohm, or 80 ohms?
Jan 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

footballguy108

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody!

I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones, but im not sure what ohm to get (im new to this audio quality gig). I will be buying a Fiio E11 poratble amp for my iphone4s. So i want to know what will be best for me? i want a big bass, but with good mids and highs too, because i like to listen to dubstep, rap/hip hop, also a little pop and some tropical music (jimmy buffett :wink: ) etc.

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 73
Hi there.

First off its probably best to realize now that you cant have everything in one set of headphones.

BUT i do recommend DT770 for your music choices, i have them myself.

Here is a guide we have all read at some point when considering Beyerdynamic. 

Before reading it you should be aware of how minute these differences are.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

The main differences to me were dirvability/power/

In order of amping with ease:

80ohm
32ohm (LE)
minutely more for the 250 ohm
600 ohm (not as hard to drive as you would think, but still needs juice.

80 is the only one with a slight design difference and really does sound different. A lot of dubstep and electronica people prefer it, but the mids to my ears are slightly more scooped- they arent in reality its an aural illusion caused by the boated bass frequencies extending beyond the usual DT770 subbass into a more crowded upper bass region. 

I went with the 250, its easy enough to drive, had a curly cord, sounded great, and was in stock at my local store when i happened to be in the area looking for headphones a while ago.

I have demoed them all several times though. Personally i think the LE is good at lower volumes. At higher volumes when driven enough the higher impedances shine (SLIGHTLY).

Get whatever has a good deal on it.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 73
Quote:
Hey everybody!

I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones, but im not sure what ohm to get (im new to this audio quality gig). I will be buying a Fiio E11 poratble amp for my iphone4s. So i want to know what will be best for me? i want a big bass, but with good mids and highs too, because i like to listen to dubstep, rap/hip hop, also a little pop and some tropical music (jimmy buffett :wink: ) etc.

Thanks!

Heya,

80ohm is the way to go regardless. Especially considering what you're amping with. Go with higher impedance when you have an amplifier that is better with high impedance loads. For something portable like that, keep it low impedance.

Very best,

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 73
I went with 80ohm also, figured this way I could still use them on my laptop when not using on my amped sources, even if it's not ideal. Better than 250ohm though.

$160 shipped via a reputable seller on ebay supposedly 60 day no questions asked return policy. Hopefully I won't need to test that. Should be here any minute! They just came as I was typing!!
dt880smile.png

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 73

I was googling in order to find out about the differences between the 32 and the 80 models.

The reason of my research is that I am happy with my 80ohms model but only if amped.
With my iPhone5 (and also the 4S) I have to turn the volume up to 90% in order to enjoy my beyers at home without using an amp. You have to keep in mind that the internal amplifier of mp3 players and mobile phones, will distort a little bit the sound (especially with bass heavy music) above 90% of volume.

Moreover if you are listening in a noisy environment you will need to turn up the volume at 100% for sure.

What I am trying to say is that in my opinion the 80ohms model needs to be amped like the 250ohms one. These are both power hungry.
And this is probably the reason for a 32ohms version to exist in the first place, don't you think? :wink:

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 73
After reading I'm still not sure what the difference is between these. So the 80 and 250's need to be amped, but do they sound better than the 32's would amped? Is an amped 80 better than an amped 32, and an amped 250 better than an amped 80? Is the opposite true when un-amped?

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 73
  After reading I'm still not sure what the difference is between these. So the 80 and 250's need to be amped, but do they sound better than the 32's would amped? Is an amped 80 better than an amped 32, and an amped 250 better than an amped 80? Is the opposite true when un-amped?

Maybe a really late bumb, but still since I might be buying the DT770, anyone with a possible answer to mkmossop's question?

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 73
  I heard that all Beyer 770/880/990 32s are worthless

Hi kupuna,

please don't get me wrong:
Heard by whom?

The usual trouble with gear rumors is that:
- many pieces of gear are simply a matter of personal taste / preference
- missing ways or methods to validate a rumour (not necessarily the case on your side)
- no clear thought about adequate usage of a specific piece of gear (dito, reg. your side)

My personal experience with studio headphones:
- wearability, durability and reliability / consistency in performance -> main, objective criteria
- compromise of money value vs. function and performance -> subjective criteria, personal decision

32 Ohms with studio headphones without - in that case inadequately - an extra headphone amp usually would be such a compromise, if you could otherwise easily use 250 Ohms or higher.
Whoever thinks that studio headphones generally won't do the job at 32 Ohms (or at an even lower impedance), should FIRST do their own A-B comparison, if possible, before giving any final judgement on a specific earphone's electro-acoustic (and musical) quality.
Some people won't be satisfied with such a compromise, others might still be delighted by the subtle and well defined impulse of that beyerdynamic 770/880/990 series.

Personally, I'm pretty much used to working with half-open AKGs (beginning with a K500 around 1992), and I've been using them for over two decades for my studio work AND listening pleasure.
Now for a while I've been using many brands and kinds, and the 250 Ohms DT-770 Pro, and they're so damn close to the neutral and "honest" sound of my studio monitors, that I'd even buy a pair of 770s in 32 Ohms.
Just for the fun of it, since, by long-term experience, I tend to trust that company as far as things can get.
Although - for mobile purposes - I'd probably have to get one of those battery driven pocket headphone amps in addition, which might help a bit.

Regards,
Leuthel

[edit] my apologies, initially misspelled your nick and corrected it.
[edit] grammar. Argh!

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 73
Anyone on this please...???

Hi Pedro,

as far as I understand the physics of moving coils in speakers and headphones: the less mass a coil's wire adds to the overall coil mass, the better the impulse fidelity will be.
Which also has an effect on the way transients and all parts of a recorded frequency spectrum are being reproduced.
A speaker or pair of earphones have one main technical goal: move as much air as possible as easily as possible (minus all the weird resonance stuff, that is)

250 / 600 Ohms (externally amped) - as compared to 32 / 80 Ohms (internally amped, like in mobile players) - would use significantly thinner coil wire -> less coil wire mass.
Hence: less overall energy needed to move the coil in a speaker's magnetic field, BUT, due to the higher electric resistance of a thinner coil wire, compared to a thicker coil wire of the same length, still higher electric currents would be needed to sufficiently drive the whole assembly against a static magnetic field.
Overall effects (if done right): better impulse, less smear effects between parts of the frequency spectrum, better overall signal transformation quality (electrical to mechanical).
Also, the material of the membrane, the magnets, the can's design and materials, everything does indeed play its own role in all of that.

But there are also many subjective criteria, like:
listening habits, the kinds of music one prefers to listen to, overall quality of mastered records, and such.

Regards,
Leuthel

[edit] redundant word removed, three added, one corrected

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 73
 as far as I understand the physics of moving coils in speakers and headphones: the less mass a coil's wire adds to the overall coil mass, the better the impulse fidelity will be.

Ever wondered why the 32-ohm is more expensive, despite having the cheap synthetic pads?
The answer is efficiency. Using less power, for similar results. They use higher grade materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back