Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 7, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #871 of 4,771
Computer noise is irrelevant because the (sound) data doesn't carry any of it. Back in the old days DACs were unbuffered and therefore jitter could affect sound quality, but nowadays that's fixed with buffering on the DAC's side.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #872 of 4,771
Computer noise is irrelevant because the (sound) data doesn't carry any of it. Back in the old days DACs were unbuffered and therefore jitter could affect sound quality, but nowadays that's fixed with buffering on the DAC's side.

Then why do my desktops sound notably different on the same DAC's than my laptops? It's not really a subtle change and has been consistent among multiple USB DACs. New USB DACs have gotten much better but there is still a difference in sound between optical and USB and USB still changes a bit on different computers. That is true, but USB also carries power which is another factor that may influence sound even if the DAC has it's own power supply. Optical is just data, USB is data and power. And I don't always find optical to sound better than USB and vice versa. That's why I suggested to try both USB and Optical if able and decide on his which he likes more and see on his own if he notices a difference or not.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #873 of 4,771
If you can use optical instead of USB, its a more effective way to avoid any noise in my experience. I had the wyrd in the past and found I just liked using optical more instead. It's worth trying both though and see how you feel about it.

Oh okay. After some reading I ordered the Wyrd together with Modi Multibit and Magni 2 Uber. But I do have a Asus Maximus VII Hero that has an optical output. Guess I will try both and see if the Wyrd is worth it. If not, I'll just return it. Can't wait for my DT 1990 pro and the Schiit stack to arrive! :beyersmile:

May 7, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #874 of 4,771
Oh okay. After some reading I ordered the Wyrd together with Modi Multibit and Magni 2 Uber. But I do have a Asus Maximus VII Hero that has an optical output. Guess I will try both and see if the Wyrd is worth it. If not, I'll just return it. Can't wait for my DT 1990 pro and the Schiit stack to arrive! :beyersmile:

No problem, just experiment and see what you experience and find out. USB is much better for audio than it used to be. I actually just got a new desktop(not new but newer than mine) so I'm in the process of figuring out whether I like USB or optical more on it. Optical was better on my old one, not sure about this one. I'm using an ASUS X99 Deluxe Mobo. When do you expect the DT 1990?

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #875 of 4,771
Yeah, it will be fun comparing! The Schiit stack should arrive by Thursday/Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to post an update on my experience with it as well as the difference between optical and USB by Saturday/Sunday. Cheers!

May 7, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #876 of 4,771
Yeah, it will be fun comparing! The Schiit stack should arrive by Thursday/Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to post an update on my experience with it as well as the difference between optical and USB by Saturday/Sunday. Cheers!

Yeah, you may not even notice a difference between USB and Optical, but it's worth experimenting. I hope the Schiit stack with the DT 1990 meets or exceeds your expectations.

May 7, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #877 of 4,771
@kman1211.. Got a question for you. I was reading the T1 thread and I came across your post about how you traded your DT1990 for a T1 2nd gen. What ever happened with that? I noticed you stopped posting on that thread.

Reason why I ask is because. I am head over heels in love with my DT1990s. It has grabbed my attention and has me reevaluating my music from top to bottom with it. So much so my thoughts was might as well take a look at the T1 gen 2.

However if the T1 gen 2 is not a leap in sound it should be over the DT1990 I will be happy just enjoying my DT1990.

May 7, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #878 of 4,771
I had the T1 2nd generation briefly, long before the 1990, but from what I remember it might be a bit more resolving. However, you will lose some bass impact. It's also much harder to get the most out of the T1 than the 1990. It's a lot pickier with amps. I didn't even think the Chord Mojo sounded all that good with the T1. It felt a bit underpowered strangely enough.

May 7, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #879 of 4,771
@kman1211.. Got a question for you. I was reading the T1 thread and I came across your post about how you traded your DT1990 for a T1 2nd gen. What ever happened with that? I noticed you stopped posting on that thread.

Reason why I ask is because. I am head over heels in love with my DT1990s. It has grabbed my attention and has me reevaluating my music from top to bottom with it. So much so my thoughts was might as well take a look at the T1 gen 2.

However if the T1 gen 2 is not a leap in sound it should be over the DT1990 I will be happy just enjoying my DT1990.

I let go of the T1.2 and got a second DT 1990 later on. Main reason the T1.2 was a pain to get the right synergy for and the DT 1990 is more neutrally tuned with mids and body more to my liking, the T1.2 is a bit more resolving with some really nice imaging but it fatigued me with it's treble and I didn't find it as musical as the DT 1990. The T1.2 is honestly more of a different sound signature with some trade-offs than an upgrade.

May 7, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #880 of 4,771
I did a bit of research into the T1 and that was one of the main reasons why I ended up getting the DT1990s over a used T1. I have DT1990s on my head as I type with nothing more than my Fiio X5iii pushing the sound with plenty of volume to spare. I can't tell you guys how happy I am with these cans. Anyone reading this thread like I did that is scared of the 250Ohm impedance of these cans. I have 50 ohm cans that seem to be harder to drive than these. This combo is about as good as it will get for a simple portable use.

May 7, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #881 of 4,771
I let go of the T1.2 and got a second DT 1990 later on. Main reason the T1.2 was a pain to get the right synergy for and the DT 1990 is more neutrally tuned with mids and body more to my liking, the T1.2 is a bit more resolving with some really nice imaging but it fatigued me with it's treble and I didn't find it as musical as the DT 1990. The T1.2 is honestly more of a different sound signature with some trade-offs than an upgrade.

Thanks for your reply. Well it looks like I found the holy grail for me. Lol. Love these cans more and more I listen to em. My only fear was that they might be a bit fatiguing due to all the detail I was reading about. Which was quickly squashed due to me listening to them for half the day on first day of listening to them.

May 7, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #882 of 4,771
Thanks for your reply. Well it looks like I found the holy grail for me. Lol. Love these cans more and more I listen to em. My only fear was that they might be a bit fatiguing due to all the detail I was reading about. Which was quickly squashed due to me listening to them for half the day on first day of listening to them.

No problem. I have something else when I want something really resolving to the degree even the DT 1990 and T1.2 aren't. Honestly high amounts of detail isn't fatiguing to me, even my DT 480(requires modding to sound right) which just assaults me with detail but it's so clean and composed even the Amiron Home and DT 1990 sounds off for a bit after listening to it. Not a whole lot of bass presence though and it does have a bit of glare. The DT 1990 is my most used headphone though, it's just the easiest to settle into for me and use for long periods of time.

May 7, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #883 of 4,771
It is funny how I discovered these cans. About a month ago I ended up buying the DT1350s. Was immediately intrigued with Beyer tesla driver tech due to them sounding so good for little portable cans. A good friend owns the T1 gen2 and suggested I look into the T1s. So started the numerous thread reading and review reading. Long story short you guys did an awesome job describing the sound of the DT1990. I feel lucky that I got my cans used for cheaper than MSRP but to be honest if I heard these cans before I bought them used. I would have no problems forking over the $599 for these new.

In fact what was interesting was I was tempted with the Amiron Home as well but saw a used DT1990 on the sales forum. Did more reading on the DT1990 and here I am.. So glad I got these. I think I would have enjoyed both but I have a eclectic variety of music I listen to so needed something that can do more than slower music. So happy with these can't even explain how much. Lol! They look like works of art in the hand. So much better looking in person.

What these cans do for trance music alone with worth paying full price for, but also excels with everything I have thrown at it.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #884 of 4,771

Users who are viewing this thread

Back