Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Mar 29, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,746 of 3,701
  Sounds pretty ideal, really curious now.

I haven't tried the 1770 but I have the 1990 and it's great.  Super transparent but still a fun listen.   It's open but doesn't really leak that much sound.   Nice complement to the Z1R  - obviously doesn't have the bass heft of the Z1R but it's not weak in that area either. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2,747 of 3,701
I haven't tried the 1770 but I have the 1990 and it's great.  Super transparent but still a fun listen.   It's open but doesn't really leak that much sound.   Nice complement to the Z1R  - obviously doesn't have the bass heft of the Z1R but it's not weak in that area either. 

I own both and would suggest the DT 1990 over the DT 1770 unless you really need closed. Not only are the pads deeper and more comfortable, the DT 1990 with balanced pads sounds like a better version of the DT 1770 imho. Do you still have the Amiron btw?

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,748 of 3,701
I own both and would suggest the DT 1990 over the DT 1770 unless you really need closed. Not only are the pads deeper and more comfortable, the DT 1990 with balanced pads sounds like a better version of the DT 1770 imho. Do you still have the Amiron btw?

I am not really interested in the 1770 at all, as the Z1R and DT-480 more than fulfill the closed headphone need at the moment.   I actually took a chance by trading in the Amiron for the 1990 and am glad I did it.  The Amiron was great, but the 1990 turned out to be even better, so it worked out great. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #2,749 of 3,701
Im using the 1770 outdoors, walking, trains, buses and ferry. Usually 2 to 3 hrs a day to and fro work. Usually packed in the train standing in the bus.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #2,750 of 3,701

I am not really interested in the 1770 at all, as the Z1R and DT-480 more than fulfill the closed headphone need at the moment.   I actually took a chance by trading in the Amiron for the 1990 and am glad I did it.  The Amiron was great, but the 1990 turned out to be even better, so it worked out great. 

True, but for those who want the Tesla 2.0 sound with good isolation, the DT 1770 is great. For those that don't need that much isolation get the DT 1990. Ah, so you exchanged the Amiron to get the DT 1990. Honestly if I had to choose between them I would take the DT 1990 as well, but I know I would also miss the Amiron if I didn't have it. I have noticed the Amiron doesn't sound as good underpowered as either the DT 1770 or DT 1990. I actually use both the DT 1990 and DT 1770 as portable headphones due to their clamp, ease of driving, and single-sided cable. I usually use the DT 1990 for portable more as I like being able to hear my surroundings and I live in a rather quiet and relaxed suburb, so isolation doesn't really matter in my situation.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #2,751 of 3,701
I couldn't keep both unfortunately. I already feel guilty for the spree I've been on with the vintage headphones. The 1770 would be an awesome closed option though considering how much I love the 1990.

By the way the DT-480 is sounding really good with DT-150 pads, which are quite a bit deeper than stock. The level of detail they reveal is insane. I think you mentioned this in prior posts but the mid-range competes favorably with even the 1990. The 480 needs a ton of power though - even with my iPhone I have a Fiio A5 on high gain. And the highest gain setting with the Violectric V100. It is also quite picky with positioning on the head. If you break the seal of the pads just a little it starts to sound like an AM radio signal.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #2,752 of 3,701
I couldn't keep both unfortunately. I already feel guilty for the spree I've been on with the vintage headphones. The 1770 would be an awesome closed option though considering how much I love the 1990.

By the way the DT-480 is sounding really good with DT-150 pads, which are quite a bit deeper than stock. The level of detail they reveal is insane. I think you mentioned this in prior posts but the mid-range competes favorably with even the 1990. The 480 needs a ton of power though - even with my iPhone I have a Fiio A5 on high gain. And the highest gain setting with the Violectric V100. It is also quite picky with positioning on the head. If you break the seal of the pads just a little it starts to sound like an AM radio signal.

I understand that. I can't really spend more on headphones in a while, I am at a good position headphone wise thankfully. It is, only problem I find the DT 1770 and DT 1990 fight for head time. The Amiron is thankfully different enough for me to justify both. The DT 1770 is of course less airy but has a good soundstage for a closed back. I do think the DT 1770 is the best closed-back Beyer currently made, I do like it more than the DT 150 and the T5p Gen 1/2(was a bit of a disappointment to me, the very-angled drivers in a closed-back setting just seem to stifle that headphones potential). 

The DT 480 is great, just a little iffy about fit and can take some time to settle into their sound, true they do sound like AM without a good seal. They do need a lot of power, I did find the 200 ohm a little more difficult to drive than the 25 ohm but not much, I also found the 200 a bit darker inherently. I do listen to the DT 1990 more overall as it's more comfortable and it's mid-range is on par with the DT 480, not quite as grain-free but it has more euphony to it. Honestly that's what stands out about the DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amiron Home to me is how euphoric they sound and their fantastic midrange.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,753 of 3,701
  I do think the DT 1770 is the best closed-back Beyer currently made, I do like it more than the DT 150 and the T5p Gen 1/2(was a bit of a disappointment to me, the very-angled drivers in a closed-back setting just seem to stifle that headphones potential).

I had the DT150 only for a few days, but now use the DT250 (I prefer the 80 ohms version). I really find them immersive and relaxing. They seem to have this perfect tonal balance for my ears. Would you mind comparing briefly the tonal balance of the DT150 (or DT250 if yuo are familiar with) vs DT1770 ? I am especially interested in the midrange presentation and upper midrange/treble. I heard a few years back the T1 (gen1) and I will never forget that unnatural and tizzy treble spike... Is that something Beyer has improved in the DT1770 ? Thanks

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,754 of 3,701

I had the DT150 only for a few days, but now use the DT250 (I prefer the 80 ohms version). I really find them immersive and relaxing. They seem to have this perfect tonal balance for my ears. Would you mind comparing briefly the tonal balance of the DT150 (or DT250 if yuo are familiar with) vs DT1770 ? I am especially interested in the midrange presentation and upper midrange/treble. I heard a few years back the T1 (gen1) and I will never forget that unnatural and tizzy treble spike... Is that something Beyer has improved in the DT1770 ? Thanks

The DT 1770 like the DT 1990 is a bit on the dry side when it comes to sound signature. The treble is much improved on both headphones, I found with long term listening the DT 150 bothered me more treble wise. I personally think for pure sound quality the DT 1990 is the one to get, it's the first modern Beyer I've heard that I felt actually approaches my DT 480 I have in terms of midrange. I had a T1.2 and while it isn't as tizzy as the first gen, it was a bit too much treble for me. The DT 1770, DT 1990 are below that threshold. The Amiron is too but it has a different sort of sound to it and it's a more relaxed liquid like sound with more energy in the 7khz region compared to the DT 1770/1990

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #2,755 of 3,701
Thank you for the detailed and informative response. I specifically choosed the 80 ohms version of the DT250 after I found the treble of the 250 ohms bothering me as well. So we seem to have similar sensitivities.

I really look for a closed headphone so the DT1990 would not be an option. However, you make a strong case for it if it can rival the midrange of the DT480/DT48 indeed.

Maybe I have to look into the T5p2 but that one is really expensive...

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,756 of 3,701
Thank you for the detailed and informative response. I specifically choosed the 80 ohms version of the DT250 after I found the treble of the 250 ohms bothering me as well. So we seem to have similar sensitivities.

I really look for a closed headphone so the DT1990 would not be an option. However, you make a strong case for it if it can rival the midrange of the DT480/DT48 indeed.

Maybe I have to look into the T5p2 but that one is really expensive...

The T5p gen 2 is a bit of a disappointment. The DT 1770 is the best closed back Beyer currently made imho and shares a lot of characteristics of the DT 1990. I would of thought the treble would bother me but they don't really on the DT 1770, 1990, and Amiron where like every other tesla essentially bothers me, they are under my personal threshold and they don't have the fatiguing sort of treble. That's good to hear about the DT 250 80 ohm, haven't heard it yet. I had mild fatigue on the DT 150 with extended listening.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,757 of 3,701
  The DT 1770 like the DT 1990 is a bit on the dry side when it comes to sound signature.

Just wondering what is "dry" sound? What would be examples of headphones with a "wet" sound instead?

The T5p gen 2 is a bit of a disappointment. The DT 1770 is the best closed back Beyer currently made imho and shares a lot of characteristics of the DT 1990. I would of thought the treble would bother me but they don't really on the DT 1770, 1990, and Amiron where like every other tesla essentially bothers me, they are under my personal threshold and they don't have the fatiguing sort of treble. That's good to hear about the DT 250 80 ohm, haven't heard it yet. I had mild fatigue on the DT 150 with extended listening.

I agree with you on that. In fact, it is one of my favorite closed backs in general, haven't felt the need for another closed can after buying mine. I think open headphones offer the best sound quality so they are generally the way to go, but you need a good closed back for when isolation and minimal sound leakage is required.

I actually had both 1990 and 1770 together and decided to stick with the 1770 instead since it was pretty similar generally speaking and needed a good closed can to compliment my various open cans that I also love.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,758 of 3,701
Just wondering what is "dry" sound? What would be examples of headphones with a "wet" sound instead?

I agree with you on that. In fact, it is one of my favorite closed backs in general, haven't felt the need for another closed can after buying mine. I think open headphones offer the best sound quality so they are generally the way to go, but you need a good closed back for when isolation and minimal sound leakage is required.

I actually had both 1990 and 1770 together and decided to stick with the 1770 instead since it was pretty similar generally speaking and needed a good closed can to compliment my various open cans.
Isolation is really great. Im stuck in a train, standing room only, and I cant hear them and they cant hear my metal playing.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #2,759 of 3,701

I actually had both 1990 and 1770 together and decided to stick with the 1770 instead since it was pretty similar generally speaking and needed a good closed can to compliment my various open cans that I also love.

A dry sound is a sound with less reverb to it and a quicker decay, can come across as 'dry'. Think of sort of like a dry wine and the DT 1770/1990 are an expensive dry wine. The T1 is also on the dry side. Many AKGs and Beyers run on the dry side. A very good example of a wet sounding headphone is the Audioquest Nighthawk with it's slower decay and more reverb. Certain amps, especially tube ones can make the sound a bit wetter on the Beyers.

Yeah, the DT 1770 is great, I'm worried mine is also not the best example, I got an early one and it had some build quality issues. Opens usually offer better sound quality. I do find as a general rule that is true, except some certain oddities. 

Makes sense. I don't have a huge need for a closed back, so I just kept both.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #2,760 of 3,701
Im using the 1770 outdoors, walking, trains, buses and ferry. Usually 2 to 3 hrs a day to and fro work. Usually packed in the train standing in the bus.

can you please give a quick comparison of "Beyer DT 1770 vs B&W P7" ? Driven by a good portable device such as Chord Mojo or Fiio X5. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back