Best Tube amp for under £500
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jonmbarlow

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to get into the world of tube amps in an effort to experience a different sound to the clinical and digital world we live in.....ideally an amp that will deliver a decent amount of bass and I am open to tube rolling to be factored into the price.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 5
Darkvoice 3322 is my current amp and I'm loving it with AKG headphones and its supposed to pair well with Sennheiser's as well. What headphones do you have and what genres of music that you listen to?

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the response.....I like all kinds of music but as far as favourite genres go I'd say country and jazz.....At the moment I have Fidelio X2's and will be investing in some Fostex thx-00 purplehearts or beyer dt1990's as my next pair

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the response.....I like all kinds of music but as far as favourite genres go I'd say country and jazz.....At the moment I have Fidelio X2's and will be investing in some Fostex thx-00 purplehearts or beyer dt1990's as my next pair

The X2 and THX00 are both fairly low impedance and efficient headphones, therefore I'm pretty sure you want to avoid an OTL tube amp. Hopefully another member will be able to scrounge up some name for you before I can do some digging this evening to figure out some suggestions.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 5
You will only really get the benefits of an OTL with the DT1990, and they pair wonderfully with the Feliks Audio Espressivo, available withing your budget I believe :)

Otherwise as people have said the other headphones you have are low impedance, and the high output impedance of OTL amps doesn't play well with them (saying that I enjoy my Grado SR60e out of the Espressivo but can hear it changes the bass response to be fuller and not as well controlled as a solid state low ouput impedance amp).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back