Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #7,831 of 7,916
HI guys.
Is there a smartphone available in the market right now which has the potential to outperform an htc m8 below the $160-170 price tag.
I'm planning to buy a used m8 and can't extend my budget any further.
Thought of the Fiio x3ii which would have been my first dedicated dap, but just can't bear the hassle of carrying an extra device apart from my smartphone.
So please help..

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #7,834 of 7,916
Has anyone tried the V20/V10 with dt770 80ohm or beyerdynamic custom studios? looking to get a used v10/v20 or m8 as a dap for my custom studios. From my understanding, a headphone with high impedance, low sensitivity or a combination of both needs to be detected by the phone to unlock the full 2 volts, but otherwise it'll be running at 1 volt if the phone deems the headphone easy to drive. But if the 80ohm/98db SPL custom studio needs more than 1volt(1.4v according to the headphone calculator @ 110dB loudness level), will the LG give that extra juice or is the v10 output a binary choice between 2 and 1 volt? I'm thinking maybe I should get the HTC m8 with it's 1.2volts if that's the case with the LG.

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #7,836 of 7,916
Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #7,837 of 7,916
LG V10. Can he bad for ridiculously cheap prices now.
Thank you.

I'm really sorry since I forgot to mention that I'm refraining from buying the lg v10 because of the bootloop issues and the battery life, and since I'd be only getting a used or refurbished one at this price, that means no warranty which is enough for me to shun it. Though no questions raised on its audio out capabilities.

I also had my eyes on the m9 as I could grab a refurbished one at around $230, around $75 more than a used m8. But I believe the extra $75 on the m8's price is too steep to justify the improvements HTC made on the m8 in the m9. Add to that the m8 does not possess it's successor's overheating issues and the SD801 is still a fine chip by today's standards IMO.

So any other suggestions which outlive my nitpicking and offer decent audio at a budget, or is the m8 the way to go?

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #7,838 of 7,916
Thank you.

I'm really sorry since I forgot to mention that I'm refraining from buying the lg v10 because of the bootloop issues and the battery life, and since I'd be only getting a used or refurbished one at this price, that means no warranty which is enough for me to shun it. Though no questions raised on its audio out capabilities.

I also had my eyes on the m9 as I could grab a refurbished one at around $230, around $75 more than a used m8. But I believe the extra $75 on the m8's price is too steep to justify the improvements HTC made on the m8 in the m9. Add to that the m8 does not possess it's successor's overheating issues and the SD801 is still a fine chip by today's standards IMO.

So any other suggestions which outlive my nitpicking and offer decent audio at a budget, or is the m8 the way to go?

If $200 is your budget, go for Letv X800 from aliexpress.

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #7,839 of 7,916
isn't this an oxymoron

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #7,842 of 7,916
I've been reading through the separate pages for these models but couldn't find anything that compares my options so I'm just asking here.

My main source for music is Spotify (highest quality), so I'm not an audiophile by any means but being a musician my preferences when buying tech are mainly based on audio quality. I have an HTC One M8 that I've been using happily for almost 3 years and it's the best smart phone I've ever had. But after 2 years of use and the Android M update, some really annoying software issues showed up (phone dying with 15% charge and app permissions/app downloads resetting) and the battery life significantly decreased.

Therefore I'm looking for a new smartphone which can make me as satisfied and happily use with my headphones (Sennheiser M2 ieg, Shure SE215 and beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80). It should be a 2017 flagship with good overall performance and best audio quality, so which one is the best option? LG G6 without DAC, HTC U 11, Samsung Galaxy S8, Huawei P10. I know they aren't out yet but ZTE Axon 7s and OnePlus 5 may also be in the list.

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #7,843 of 7,916
I've been reading through the separate pages for these models but couldn't find anything that compares my options so I'm just asking here.

My main source for music is Spotify (highest quality), so I'm not an audiophile by any means but being a musician my preferences when buying tech are mainly based on audio quality. I have an HTC One M8 that I've been using happily for almost 3 years and it's the best smart phone I've ever had. But after 2 years of use and the Android M update, some really annoying software issues showed up (phone dying with 15% charge and app permissions/app downloads resetting) and the battery life significantly decreased.

Therefore I'm looking for a new smartphone which can make me as satisfied and happily use with my headphones (Sennheiser M2 ieg, Shure SE215 and beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80). It should be a 2017 flagship with good overall performance and best audio quality, so which one is the best option? LG G6 without DAC, HTC U 11, Samsung Galaxy S8, Huawei P10. I know they aren't out yet but ZTE Axon 7s and OnePlus 5 may also be in the list.

If s8 is still in your budget. Go for xplay6. Best camera and audio phone so far.

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #7,844 of 7,916

meizu pro 6 plus has basically the same size as a u11, and has all the audiophile goodies for a bargain price.

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #7,845 of 7,916
meizu pro 6 plus has basically the same size as a u11, and has all the audiophile goodies for a bargain price.
I have not read much of this thread but would not a s7 edge { $480 inventory selloff from tmobile june 1, 2017 } with a portable amp ie chord mojo $500 or fostex hp-v1 $400 or HA-2se portable amp $300 be the best alternative if someone wants good sound from a phone. Expensive but buy the amp once then upgrade your phone every few years. I doubt any phones DAP/Dac would alone give truly exceptional sound. samsung s89 $700-$800 or lg would comes close to the cost of my suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back