Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 20, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #121 of 5,166
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #123 of 5,166
Among the established manufacturers Apple,HTC and Sony have superb build quality but practically all of them seem to have abandoned audio as a focus area.I am tempted by LG G6 but there is the boot loop issue though G6 seems to be free from this problem and the fact that it has the SD 821(Which is only marginally better than the SD 820 so I may as well get a HTC 10) instead of the SD 835 like most flagship phones this year.I would ideally like a phone smaller than the upcoming V 30 but with its specs so what are my options really? I can wait another 6 months.Not into Chinese smartphones as they have very poor after sales service centers in India.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #124 of 5,166
Has anybody tried the Russian Highscreen Boost 3? It's got pretty outdated low-end specs, but the phone has a ESS9018K2M DAC and a ADA4897-2 preamp. I wonder if it's a good option for listening to music on a budget. There's also a Fest XL model, which only uses the ES9118 chip.

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #125 of 5,166
Hi everyone, this is my first post in here... Have been following Head-Fi for an year or so, but finally ended up making an account. Great place to know about audio
I have a query, which one has better Audio output ? OnePlus 3T or Honor 8 Pro ?
I currently use Redmi Note 3 Pro(Snapdragon) and Galaxy S4(Exynos), and own Sony MDR XB 70.
I like sound which is fun with warm signature, has tight bass, treble isn't piercing, soundstage should be good enough, and lastly output needs to be good +, don't like phones with weak output.
I find my current Redmi Note 3 Pro quite good in AQ after enabling Mi Sound Enhancer from settings, good output (is more than loud enough at 60% vol), warm sound, bass is really tight and thumping, mids aren't recessed at all and treble is very good but not piercing.
Have seen Xiaomi phones do really good in sound department, so no complaints in here.
But I don't like the sound from S4 Exynos even a bit. It's barely loud enough, highs are piercing, sounds flat and dull.
Music type i mainly listen to is Pop, EDM, Electro, Trance, Punk Rock, Trap(I don't know if that even qualifies as some sort of music genre:o2smile: )
So please, guys help me out. Last deciding factor left for me between 3T and Honor 8 Pro is Audio Output and Quality.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #126 of 5,166
Hey all,

Thinking of either getting the G6+ or the V20. Price isn't really an issue at the moment considering my budget is for V20 but the difference between G6+ and V20 are not that big. Right now, what I am only after is its audio quality output. Though I am curious what I might be missing if I get the V20 instead of the G6+ (not just audio quality wise). Thanks!

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #127 of 5,166
guys, any suggestion of smartphone with around 200 usd, have wide and deep soundstage, warmish, top separation, layering and detail, big screen.

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #128 of 5,166
Hi everyone, this is my first post in here... Have been following Head-Fi for an year or so, but finally ended up making an account. Great place to know about audio
I have a query, which one has better Audio output ? OnePlus 3T or Honor 8 Pro ?
I currently use Redmi Note 3 Pro(Snapdragon) and Galaxy S4(Exynos), and own Sony MDR XB 70.
I like sound which is fun with warm signature, has tight bass, treble isn't piercing, soundstage should be good enough, and lastly output needs to be good +, don't like phones with weak output.
I find my current Redmi Note 3 Pro quite good in AQ after enabling Mi Sound Enhancer from settings, good output (is more than loud enough at 60% vol), warm sound, bass is really tight and thumping, mids aren't recessed at all and treble is very good but not piercing.
Have seen Xiaomi phones do really good in sound department, so no complaints in here.
But I don't like the sound from S4 Exynos even a bit. It's barely loud enough, highs are piercing, sounds flat and dull.
Music type i mainly listen to is Pop, EDM, Electro, Trance, Punk Rock, Trap(I don't know if that even qualifies as some sort of music genre:o2smile: )
So please, guys help me out. Last deciding factor left for me between 3T and Honor 8 Pro is Audio Output and Quality.
None of them if you want some serious audio performance. Choose between lg v20 or lg g6 according to your budget and preferences. Both of them are available at decent price on amazon India.

Rest is up to you, if you want a better phone then I would recommend oneplus.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #129 of 5,166
guys, any suggestion of smartphone with around 200 usd, have wide and deep soundstage, warmish, top separation, layering and detail, big screen.

Meizu pro5

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #131 of 5,166
cant find any meizu 5 lol. and prefer it its new.

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #133 of 5,166
cant find any meizu 5 lol. and prefer it its new.

Then is there any other brand that available easily in your country? and is there no any smartphone in first post's Table List that match your need or available?

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #134 of 5,166
The LG G6 and V20 are more than suffice for most mobile listening. They are however, best experienced with earphones or headphones with a fairly high impedance. (At least 32 Ohms.) The "normal device" versus "external device" and "high impedance earphone" outputs on a low impedance earphone are vastly different experiences. I can't say that its 'better' but it definitely sounds 'richer' when the 2 modes are invoked.

BTW, the LG G6 Asian version with the Quad DAC comes with 64GB. Plus a MicroSD slot that takes up to 128gb cards.

The LG V30 is set to be launched August 30th. The Q8 as mentioned earlier sounds interesting too if its DAC is tuned similarly to the G6.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #135 of 5,166
There is lg but quite expensive around here. How is the sound card of xiaomi mi5 plus. Is it better then my current note 4.

I will look into that Meizu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back