Best headphones under $100. Is it Sony MDR-100AAP?
May 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 8
No not in my experience

Dull sounding and undynamic with rolled off highs and too bassy for my tastes. Overrated IMHO

There's a reason they are available cheaply now; they were grossly overpriced originally and still not worth $100 or equivalent. Forget them

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 8
Another vote against the Sony - and I'm a huge Sony fan, using the MDR 1A as my main set. The 100aap is just dull in comparison, lacking dynamism and has veil.
The Grado, IMHO are an acquired taste, and should be tried first - as of course should everything if possible, reviews are the last port of call in deciding what suits "you".
But the Sennheiser Urbanite mentioned by @serman005 sounded very nice when I tested them, so I'd try to get a listen to those as well. But I think you can do better than the Sony.

May 28, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 8
For around a 100 USD, I'd recommend Sennheiser HD598 (they're almost always on sale around 105 to 120 USD). These are the open back headphones I'd recently got in order to get into open back headphone listening experience. I have ATH M50x that were my first headphones. And contrary to most people's experience, I found the bass of HD 598 sufficient (and infact more pleasing than ATH M50x which is thumping and quite powerful. HD 598 has a laid-back listening experience. The mids the amazing. It's the highs that are a little underwhelming compared to M50x which are very forward (in your face sibilant highs). I'd strongly recommend HD598 for open back headphones and M50x for closed back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back