Best headphone amp/dac for hd 650's?
Jul 22, 2017 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ultramabi

Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm getting some sennheiser hd650s and need an amp/dac. What would you guys recommend? Also should I get it separately or as an amp/dac combo? Sorry guys I'm kind of new to amps/dacs as this will be the first time spending money on them.

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 11
Hey guys I'm getting some sennheiser hd650s and need an amp/dac. What would you guys recommend?

Practically any of the following depending on what you can spend

Schiit Modi2 Uber + Vali2
Schiit Bifrost + Valhalla2 (if you won't use lower sensitivity, low impedance headphones)
AudioGD NFB-11
Meier DACcord FF + Classic FF
Violectric V200 with DAC module

Also should I get it separately or as an amp/dac combo? Sorry guys I'm kind of new to amps/dacs as this will be the first time spending money on them.

Depends on what you prefer. Personally it comes down to how much size and what shape of space you can give up on your desk. AudioGD NFB-11 is short in terms of height but is long to the rear. Schiit amps and DACs when stacked take up less width and even less depth but will be taller.

The best DAC-HPamp designs have power supply designs that will cope with having to run both (at most a tiny peak-to-peak voltage swing drop but it's not like the HD650 will suffer from getting 10v vs 12v). Just don't get one with the USB DAC totally dependent on USB power because that's how you get some compatibility problems in case waht you plug it into can't supply enough consistently (ie some motherboards don't supply 5v if all USB ports are in use).

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 11
Hey guys I'm getting some sennheiser hd650s and need an amp/dac. What would you guys recommend? Also should I get it separately or as an amp/dac combo? Sorry guys I'm kind of new to amps/dacs as this will be the first time spending money on them.

I use stuffs with hd650 as in picture.
1. ADL35iR brings treble+ and detail
detail.
2. 7N OFC brings bass and warm mid, deatail.
3. 6SN7GTB tube bring sweet mid and extendend treble.
4. 6H13C bring overall smooth for listening hours w/o tired at any volume.

I just use those cheap tubes(usally in box) after I change stock cable.

Screenshot_20170723-181018.jpg

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 11
Im in the same boat, trying to make a decision. I am leaning towards a Schiit Modi Multibit and a Magni 2 Uber. But I am also considering the Vali 2.....

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 11
Currently using a Schiit Modi Multibit & Vali 2 here, sounds great. I plan to get a Jotunheim soon too.

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 11
Most people suggest based on what they've heard themselves. If you put a budget limit, that would help for a better suggestion because HD650 escalates with better amp.

I love mine with X-sabre and Liquid Carbon through balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back