Antipodes Audio DX V3 music server roon core, one mans unofficial guide down the rabbit hole.
Jun 14, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #31 of 296
The description of the Dx is

That suggests a clock to me.
Interesting on the antipodes audio site there is no mention of a clock on either spec sheet or comparison sheet of DS GT or dx, or in the descriptions. however you spurred me to do further research and it really seems that antipodes have what audiophiles want, clear, clean, and quiet digital input into their DAC. That produces through your DAC conversion, better sound quality and depth. Thats what I'm after... Here is one more link although no mention of a clock but thats here nor there...

http://qlatu.com/antipodes/design.html

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #32 of 296
One of the cheap alternative other than Rasbarry Pi is using an Android TV Box w/ UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro).
Android TV BOX now you can have at around $40. Connect your Android TV Box to your network to access your NAS or not, attach your USB HD and your DAC and your good to go.

My Android TV BOX + UAPP -> USB Reclock/Regen -> DAC sound better to my PC + JR22 -> USB Reclock/Regen -> DAC setup.

My Setup right now:

Himediatech Q10 Pro 8TB HD + UAPP w/ LPS -> LH Labs Revive -> LH Labs Ifninty + LPS4.

4K video was icing on the cake.

Its an investment as low as $40.

Y5LRFShl.jpg

qvXitobl.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #33 of 296
Excellent value solution and thanks for the photos plus plug it into monitor or tv...lots of content access as i understand

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #34 of 296
One of the cheap alternative other than Rasbarry Pi is using an Android TV Box w/ UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro).
Android TV BOX now you can have at around $40. Connect your Android TV Box to your network to access your NAS or not, attach your USB HD and your DAC and your good to go.

My Android TV BOX + UAPP -> USB Reclock/Regen -> DAC sound better to my PC + JR22 -> USB Reclock/Regen -> DAC setup.

My Setup right now:

Himediatech Q10 Pro 8TB HD + UAPP w/ LPS -> LH Labs Revive -> LH Labs Ifninty + LPS4.

4K video was icing on the cake.

Its an investment as low as $40.

I guess the 8TB drive is an additional expense. Do they run with SSDs? I like the idea of running UAPP on a digital media player - sadly not an option on my PCH.
edit: I see it has a fan, so much for making it silent...

Interesting on the antipodes audio site there is no mention of a clock on either spec sheet or comparison sheet of DS GT or dx, or in the descriptions. however you spurred me to do further research and it really seems that antipodes have what audiophiles want, clear, clean, and quiet digital input into their DAC. That produces through your DAC conversion, better sound quality and depth. Thats what I'm after... Here is one more link although no mention of a clock but thats here nor there...

http://qlatu.com/antipodes/design.html

The first paragraph "it's not all about the Bits" shows that they are spending a lot of money trying to reduce jitter, which is a non issue for Hugo/2

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #35 of 296
I use chord Hugo TT desktop. Hugo is my portable.

That's not their site it's a review

Thx for your input but jitter is not the only factor under consideration. Don't worry about money it's about the potential results. The consumer pays for value added components in this biz, that topic has been exhausted.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #36 of 296
I guess the 8TB drive is an additional expense. Do they run with SSDs? I like the idea of running UAPP on a digital media player - sadly not an option on my PCH.
edit: I see it has a fan, so much for making it silent...

I don't have an existing NAS. This Android Box is one of the first that have an internal HD drive on it. Like you I am looking for a music server that will not break the bank. And found it on the Android Platform.

Some newer boxes doesn't have a fan and can accommodate to max. of 2 drives: http://zappiti.com/zappiti-duo-4k-hdr.html

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #37 of 296
Ordered, pics thoughts to follow. Coming from New Zealand black with linear power supply, configured and tested in store in Vancouver, shipped to me in Toronto. So few weeks to wait. Cheers and please carry on with desktop player server talk.

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #38 of 296
Jun 17, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #39 of 296
I'm love to hear your thoughts, I went with a Simaudio Mind 180 which is being discontinued right now and you could probably get about 50% off. No built in SSD so you need external storage but I bought it more for tidal. It runs the mind controller app which is free. I love the sound. I'm coax out to a moon neo 230had. Its a nice combo. Good luck.

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #40 of 296
I'm love to hear your thoughts, I went with a Simaudio Mind 180 which is being discontinued right now and you could probably get about 50% off. No built in SSD so you need external storage but I bought it more for tidal. It runs the mind controller app which is free. I love the sound. I'm coax out to a moon neo 230had. Its a nice combo. Good luck.
Thx, GT evidently does a fantastic job with tidal although to date I have never used it, as it now comes with roon core suite I guess I will. Ssd is touted as the best transport of GT better than nas so that's where my files will be stored.
I do stand corrected there seems to be a clock and even a dac built in although antipodes audio views the dac as a service for those without dacs and don't talk about it. The recommendation is ssd to USB to the highest quality dac for the best output conversion.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #41 of 296
Sooooo, in anticipation of delivery early next week I was installing roon remote on my iPhone 7, no problems, and my iPad. Not sure when I bought my pad but it had a lightening connector, must be some years.....not compatible with roon remote, so had to buy a new 12.5 inch iPad Pro. Got to use it for roons ui......the saga continues...

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #42 of 296
Well for enquiring minds out there in the internet vapour, Monday delivery of my iPad. Tuesday delivery of ds GT, will have some pics then and will teleconference the set up with my sales guy in Vancouver, although it does seem moderately straight forward installation / set up.... excited.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #43 of 296
Just had enough time before heading to mavis staples to turn on, work the set up with my rep, listen to a tune. One word

WOW

Pics and review to follow

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #44 of 296
Here she is
IMG_4680.jpg

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 296
Innards
IMG_4681.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back